Restarting the G3X Discussion

Time to reopen this thread now that OSH09 is here...

Does anybody have any reliable pricing info yet on the G3X now that Garmin has made their announcement? This page:
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20090727005203&newsLang=en
indicates a "starting" price of around $14K for a single screen G3X system, including GDU375 with XM weather. Not sure what is meant by "starting" price but hopefully that is a complete, single AHARS, EFIS & EIS system. Due to the modular system design it would seem that a two screen single AHARS system would then be around $18K.

Anybody besides Matt Burch heading in this direction?

Here are a few quick questions off the top of my head:
1. Any autopilot interfaces? Will one of these interface with a Trutrak AP to allow coupled approaches?
2. How will the GNS series of IFR GPSs interface with the G3X (or will it)?
3. What is the total cost of annual subscriptions for this system (XM, charts, AOPA airport info, taxi diagrams, other?)
4. Any traffic interfaces (Mode S or other)?
5. Cost and feature comparision with AFS and GRT?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I would think NO. While the GDU 3X includes a 12 channel WAAS GPS engine, it is not, and probably will never be certified TSO 129 or 146 required for IFR.

TSO'd GPS is not a requirement for IFR. I've been lurking around the IFR threads, becuase I very much would like for my RV to be IFR capable. Based on what I have read to date, TSO'd GPS is not a requirement. The only required TSO equipment is transponder.

As always, just info for debate, and I have been known to be wrong.

M

TSO'd GPS is not a requirement for IFR. I've been lurking around the IFR threads, becuase I very much would like for my RV to be IFR capable. Based on what I have read to date, TSO'd GPS is not a requirement. The only required TSO equipment is transponder.

As always, just info for debate, and I have been known to be wrong.

M

Yes, you are correct a GPS (TSO'd or otherwise) is NOT required for IFR so maybe I should restate for those splitting hairs; "While the GDU 3X includes a 12 channel WAAS GPS engine, it is not, and probably will never be certified TSO 129 or 146 required for filing /G while IFR."

Unless you know something I don't (which is entirely possible), it's hard to put concrete numbers like that down when Garmin hasn't released final pricing on this system yet. I haven't heard what a dual AHRS system pricing is....The fact is I'm betting none of us knows for sure (I don't even know that Garmin yet knows for sure) what the exact final pricing is going to be. No doubt it'll likely be higher than a GRT or AFS, but I wouldn't stick my own neck out and put any firm prices for an entire package or panel down on paper just yet. All I know is what they've published so far, and that is "preliminary" numbers....as we all know the final numbers might be higher, but they also may be lower.

From Garmin's press release:

Garmin announced the GDU 370 and GDU 375 in conjunction with the U.S. Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring, Florida, January 22-25, 2009, and they are expected to be available in March 2009 for an expected street price of $3,295.00 and $3,995.00, respectively. The complete G3X system – GDU 370/375 displays, ADAHRS and EIS, magnetometer and temperature probe – is expected to be on display at Sun ‘n Fun in Lakeland, Florida, April 21-26, 2009, and Garmin anticipates availability in the second half of 2009. Customers seeking to expand their GDU 370 or GDU 375 to a full G3X system, may purchase the G3X PFD kit that includes an ADAHRS and EIS, magnetometer and temperature probe, when available, that is preliminarily priced at $9,995.00.

That makes a complete dual screen system $3,295 + $3,995 + $9,995 = $17,285. For the intended market (LSA) I do not think they will offer a dual AHRS system. Even the G900x/G1000/G600/G500 do not come with dual AHRS. I don't think there is even a provision for dual AHRS on the certified units-I may be wrong on this however.

About $7K more than an equivalent AFS or GRT system.

Last edited:
add on

The real question is, when will the GDU 375 be equipped with synthetic vision :) The Demo of SVT sure does look nice on their website for the G600....

Best
Brian

That makes a complete dual screen system $3,295 + $3,995 + $9,995 = $17,285. For the intended market (LSA) I do not think they will offer a dual AHRS system. Even the G900x/G1000/G600/G500 do not come with dual AHRS. I don't think there is even a provision for dual AHRS on the certified units-I may be wrong on this however.
That's a lot of money, although it does look like a good system. No doubt some people will spend it.

On the ADHRS, I don't know if the will be using the GRS77 that comes as part of the G1000 on the G3X. The G1000 can be configured with either single or dual GRS77. D-Jet, King Air and other installs have (IIRC) dual GRS77.

TODR

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I think the dollar figures being thrown around are a little high compared to what the real street prices of the various packages will turn out to be...

mcb

Like I said before....final pricing was not ever published, so indeed the dollar figures quoted were not quite accurate. A single screen G3X system WITH the upgrade and a single screen should be $9995, a dual screen system around $13,995. The G3X is not using the identical AHRS to the G900/1000, but rather a newly packaged box called a GSU (Sensor Unit) that incorporates the ADAHRS, Air Data and Engine Information System. A remote magnetometer is still standard, but ancillary items like external GPS/XM antennas are not.

Those who stopped by our booth at OSH were able to see the screens, just not the entire package - but if you stopped by the Van's booth you could see the entire thing installed in Doug Reeves RV6 as we provided it to him with the GSU and magentometer. We also had one installed in Marc Cook's Sportsman that he flew to OSH.

Hope that helps clear up a bit of confusion.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
More pictures...

I snapped a few more pics of the units at the Garmin display. I was amazed at just how small the entire set-up is.

IMG_2873.JPG

Here you can see the ADAHRS box in the foreground and magnatometer behind.
IMG_2870.JPG

Not quite - I have both a GDU 375 MFD and a pair of 430Ws in my airplane because they each do different things. The 430s are TSO'd IFR boxes that will let me do IFR stuff (oversimplification, but bear with me) as well as giving me a pair of comm radios. The MFD is for situational awareness, charts, engine data, and so forth. Each has things that it does well.

Of course, if you don't care about IFR, you don't need the fancy radio stack or any other GPS. You might be interested to go look at the panel of a certain brand-new airplane from a well-known manufacturer located in the midwest, and compare it to what you see here... :)

I've been reading through the new G3X manual & spec-sheet, and have a few questions. The G3X manual states that the HSI presents navigation source information. But it does not show or specify any command to change the navigation source; it's GPS in all the examples. Your panel has two 430's. Is there any way for the G3X HSI to change between GPS1, GPS2, NAV1, NAV2, etc, like the G500/600 can? Also, is the any way to show multiple bearings, like the Dynon (and other) HSI does?

Your panel has two 430's. Is there any way for the G3X HSI to change between GPS1, GPS2, NAV1, NAV2, etc, like the G500/600 can?

Yes... the manual is not quite caught up to the software, as is usual in this industry. :)

mcb

I can't tell if ARINC is supported by the GDU 375 or if there is only aring output if/when you add the G3X adahrs. Just wondering because I will likely upgrade in chunks, and the ability to drive GPSS steering would be nice. Does the GDU 375 have this ability?

Very impressive. Is there an internal AHRS and air data computer to the G3X or does it use something similar to the GDC74A and GRS77? It looks like a three screen G900X on a diet. I can see a definate place in the market for it.

The G3X uses an external AHRS unit similar to the GRS-77 called the GSU-73. The difference is that it does not use ARINC for data transfer to the EFIS which eliminates the 128 degree/second roll rate limitation. This system will handle 200 degrees/second which makes us L-39 guys very happy :)

I can't tell if ARINC is supported by the GDU 375 or if there is only aring output if/when you add the G3X adahrs. Just wondering because I will likely upgrade in chunks, and the ability to drive GPSS steering would be nice. Does the GDU 375 have this ability?

The G3X system has ARINC 429 transmitters and receivers, but they are built into the GSU 73 ADAHRS and not the GDU 37x display unit.

mcb

questions

I was wondering if those GSU-73 are still in beta or have they hit the market
yet ? what autopilot talks to those units ?

Danny..