So my question is: can the external navigator inputs be disabled at the pilot?s discretion to permit these excellent G3X's features to "come alive"? If so, how is this done? Thanks!!

This is not a feature of the current software, but it's definitely something that's being looked at for a future update!

(By the way, the manual is slightly out of date in that section - you now can use VNAV on the G3X when using a flight plan from an external GPS navigator)

mcb

This is not a feature of the current software, but it's definitely something that's being looked at for a future update!

(By the way, the manual is slightly out of date in that section - you now can use VNAV on the G3X when using a flight plan from an external GPS navigator)

mcb

Will the G3X not revert to these functions if you turn the 430 off?

Thanks for all of the input Matt!

Ok, let?s say that we?ve disabled the external nav inputs (one way or another) and we?re navigating based on the G3X internal GPS. Does the system output GPSS (steering) commands for the autopilot?

snip....Ok, let’s say that we’ve disabled the external nav inputs (one way or another) and we’re navigating based on the G3X internal GPS. Does the system output GPSS (steering) commands for the autopilot?

Yes.

My 430W tells my G3X where it is (all IFR-certified-like). The G3X then tells my GX Pilot autopilot how to steer. If the 430W fails the internal GPS in the G3X takes over.

If I'm wrong I'm sure Matt will correct me, but I *think* this is correct (hope so):eek:.

Last edited:
OK I need help in updating.

When I plug my portables into the computer everything is automatic.

I need to update my G3X software so I can finish setup and then the databases. The pilots manual is really vague on this. So I have several questions.

1. Did I just buy a really expensive unit only to have it come with a dummy plastic SD card (thats what the card in the slot appears to be)?

2. If so do I need a different SD cards for software updates and database updates/ Or will the Verbatim96504 work for both?

3. After the updates do I remove the SD card and replace it with the plastic plug or just leave it in?

4. The Garmin updater will only let my computer search for the device, it will not let me input what device I want the software for. How do I tell the SD card it is a G3X?

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

The plastic thing is just a filler, for people who are concerned about lint and dust getting into the card slot. To update the software in your displays, click here and follow the prompts. Or if you'd like to have someone walk you through it, you can call 866-739-5687.

good luck,
mcb

Thanks Matt worked like a charm.

Now more questions.

I know when there is an external unit (430) The G3X will follow the 430 flight plan etc.

What is the G3X using as an aviation, terrain database while taking direction from the 430? Is it using the 430 database or the G3X database.

Last edited:
What is the G3X using as an aviation, terrain database while taking direction from the 430? Is it using the 430 database or the G3X database.

Each unit uses its own database - i.e. databases are not transferred between units. In the specific case where G3X is taking flight plan information from an external IFR navigator and there is a disagreement about the position of an airport, navaid, fix, etc., the IFR unit wins the tie.

mcb

Missing G3X documentation of new changes

Ref: G3X:
My good friend & student just got his panel into his airplane so I can start playing & learning. A lot can be found in the manual, but there have been many GREAT software updates since the last manual change.

Does anyone know details on:

"Added display of integrated autopilot self-test status and sensor health in config mode." He has a GX Pilot that shows on the G3X, but I don't see a self-test status and what config mode is it talking about?

"Added ability to display GSU power input voltage instead of monitoring an external bus voltage circuit." I have not seen this on any G3X pages yet. Does anyone know where to find the GSU voltage on the G3X?

"Changed screenshot utility to flash the screen to indicate when a screenshot has been saved." Screen shots would be great, but how do we get them, and how are they saved and transferred?

"Added ability to log data to SD card." How do we capture the data and how do we download the captured data from a flight in a readable format? I understand we can go back and analyze about anything that is seen on the G3X. That would be great for the initial test flying -- to capture everything. Anyone know how?

You should probably check out the install manual for information about config mode. The screenshot utility doesn't seem to be documented in the current version of the pilot's guide just yet - the manual always lags the software with just about anything.

Data is automatically saved to the SD card whenever you have it in the slot. The files are in the "data_log" folder and are in CSV format that you can open with just about anything. You can also export them to Google Earth with this tool.

mcb

You should probably check out the install manual for information about config mode. The screenshot utility doesn't seem to be documented in the current version of the pilot's guide just yet - the manual always lags the software with just about anything.

Data is automatically saved to the SD card whenever you have it in the slot. The files are in the "data_log" folder and are in CSV format that you can open with just about anything. You can also export them to Google Earth with this tool.

mcb
Thanks for the words on the automatic SD card saves. I've been into the G3X config mode many times and have configured most items. I just can't find anything about the autopilot self-test status and sensor health in config mode. Seems strange that the A/P self-test status and sensor health would be in a mode requiring the shutdown of the G3X though.

Thanks for the words on the automatic SD card saves. I've been into the G3X config mode many times and have configured most items. I just can't find anything about the autopilot self-test status and sensor health in config mode. Seems strange that the A/P self-test status and sensor health would be in a mode requiring the shutdown of the G3X though.

Well, this is really only for post-installation checkout of a new installation, and it also only applies to the TruTrak GX Pilot autopilot (hence, "integrated autopilot"). If you have some other type of autopilot, you won't see any of this. And if you do have a GX Pilot, and it becomes unhappy at any other time, the system has ways of letting you know that too.

mcb

Last edited:
G3X, Trio, TruTrak ????

Matt....thanks for all the input! What will I miss having from the Garmin autopilot versus having the Trio A/P?

I guess what I'm asking is that if I install the Trio I'll be able to control the airplane from the Trio which will hook up to all the features of the 430W but my control will have to be through the Trio and not the G3X? is that correct?

In addition I'll still be able to monitor the dual G3X's where I'm at on the approach, watch the A/P(Trio) intercept and fly the approach, and so on? Right?

back to the original question........what will I miss from one autopilot to the other?

Thanks,

Greg

What will I miss having from the Garmin autopilot versus having the Trio A/P?

Well... there is not a "Garmin autopilot" for G3X per se. G3X will "work" with any digital autopilot, in the sense that it outputs useful information that a typical autopilot might like to have. In this configuration, the G3X system and the autopilot are two separate things that are connected via a one-way interface.

Then there is the TruTrak GX Pilot, which is designed specifically to work with the G3X system in a highly integrated manner. With this unit you gain a bunch of neat integrated autopilot control features that are all controlled from the G3X PFD, as shown in these videos. At this time, this is the only autopilot that integrates with the G3X system in this way.

If you don't have a TruTrak GX Pilot, your autopilot will still do whatever it is your autopilot does. Your autopilot can still follow the GPS navigation data from your G3X flight plan, but you don't necessarily have all the capabilities of an integrated G3X/GX Pilot combo and you don't directly control the autopilot via the G3X display. So without knowing exactly which Trio autopilot you have and how it is connected to the various devices in your airplane, I can't say for sure what autopilot capabilities you have.

good luck,
mcb

Last edited:
Screenshots?

Does anyone know how to take a "Screenshot"? A change adds a feature to flash the screen to indicate when a screenshot has been saved -- but I can't find how one takes that screenshot.

Does anyone know how to take a "Screenshot"? A change adds a feature to flash the screen to indicate when a screenshot has been saved -- but I can't find how one takes that screenshot.

1. Put an SD card in the slot.
2. Press Menu twice to access the main menu.
3. Select "System Setup" and press Enter.
4. Select "Display Setup" and press Enter.
5. Press Menu to access the option menu.
6. Select "Enable Screenshot" and press Enter.

Instructions for taking a screenshot should then appear. To take a screenshot, press and hold the joystick knob for about a second.

mcb

1. Put an SD card in the slot.
2. Press Menu twice to access the main menu.
3. Select "System Setup" and press Enter.
4. Select "Display Setup" and press Enter.
5. Press Menu to access the option menu.
6. Select "Enable Screenshot" and press Enter.

Instructions for taking a screenshot should then appear. To take a screenshot, press and hold the joystick knob for about a second.

mcb
Thanks, I never would have found this by trial and error! Works great on PFD, but didn't on the MFD. Is it designed to work on the MFD?

Is there a way to get logged CHT and EGT in C rather than F?

I have all temps set to be read in C, but the G3X log records CHT & EGT in F. It's easy to convert, but would be nice to get it direct.

SD Cards

FYI, I was able to do the newest G3X update using a SanDisk Ultra 4GB, 15MB/s card on two of the three installed G3X's. The third G3X would not load with this card. I switched to an older SanDisk 2GB SD card and that worked fine.

G3X ACE Checklist Example

Garmin has an editable checklist program (ACE) for the G3X and 695/696 units. It does not have to be just a/c checklists, but almost any kind of note you might want at your finger tips can be placed on the checklist. I have an example and information on how to make it work at http://11hc.44rf.com.

G3X Checklists Enhanced

Dick,

This a brilliant use of the G3X checklists and editor.

I have enjoyed the convenience of having my own custom normal and emergency checklists for well over a year, but it never occurred to me that I could expand the use of this feature to become an in-air reference library.

I can now take a lot of that seldom used reference material I carry with me and build it into my checklist/electronic document viewer.

Thanks for the tip :)

ChecklistEmergency.jpg

Last edited:
Is anyone actually flying a G3X (besides Doug) and if so (including Doug) do you have the weather function up and running?

When we (Louise and I) ferried Doug's plane back from OSH last year, the weather function was definitely working - I was racing a line of storms to get out of Minneapolis, and it was exciting to watch the NEXRAD!

I have also recently gotten the weather up and running on the new G3X in the -3 (sitting in the hangar), and it is working great.

What kind of problems are you having Milt?

Paul you're going to need some horsepower to haul all the gear that -3 has! You've got more capability in that little thing than any $80 million fighter I've flown!!!

Paul you're going to need some horsepower to haul all the gear that -3 has! You've got more capability in that little thing than any $80 million fighter I've flown!!!

You're right about the capability, but might be surprised about the weight. the panel is way, way lighter than it would be with a steam gauge panel (the displays and the Tru Trak boxes weigh almost nothing), and while the 430W is a pretty hefty chunk of electronics, it is not outlandish when you consider we're going to have a 160 HP IO-320 (tweaked "just a bit" by Mattituck)with a three-bladed Whirlwind on the nose.

Empty weight will certainly be higher than a "light" -3, but we're exercising and watching our diets....keepign the pilot weight down is just as important.;)

Paul

G3X Integrated XM Weather Receiver

Is anyone actually flying a G3X (besides Doug) and if so (including Doug) do you have the weather function up and running?

This next Oshkosh will be the third one that I have flown to with my G3X. XM weather and radio was working in the G3X from day 1.

The XM weather/radio receiver integrated with the GDU375 works flawlessly and doesn't require a separate box to be mounted in the aircraft.

I have a plastic airplane so this part is easy, but I just have the small GA26XM antenna mounted inside the fuselage up in the nose and it always locks onto the XM signal almost immediately.

G3X - GTN 650/750 Integration?

A question (for Matt?)?there is currently a very high level of integration between the G3X system and the 430/530 units. What is the expectation regarding G3X integration for the new GTN 650/750 boxes? Will they be as highly integrated right away or will there be some time interval before everything is sorted out and playing together seamlessly? Or is it too early to know? Thanks!

BTW, the new GTN solutions look very cool!!

A question (for Matt?)?there is currently a very high level of integration between the G3X system and the 430/530 units. What is the expectation regarding G3X integration for the new GTN 650/750 boxes? Will they be as highly integrated right away or will there be some time interval before everything is sorted out and playing together seamlessly? Or is it too early to know?

I have not been able to get ahold of one to test with yet, but I am told that the relevant outputs are the same as the 430W/530W, so I expect that it should work the same (pending investigation!).

mcb

Just as a followup for posterity... I managed to borrow a GTN long enough to confirm that it does indeed function with the G3X system with an equivalent level of integration as you'd get with G3X plus a 430W/530W. The installation manual will be updated to show the interconnects between G3X and GTN (it's basically the same as for a 430W).

cheers,
mcb

technology upgrade

So now the question is:
How much can I sell my
430W
GTX330(es)
PS9000
I'll keep my SL30
All with 12.3 hours on it and trade for:
GTN750
remote mount GTX330(es)
remote mount Garmin Audio panel:confused:

Just as a followup for posterity... I managed to borrow a GTN long enough to confirm that it does indeed function with the G3X system with an equivalent level of integration as you'd get with G3X plus a 430W/530W. The installation manual will be updated to show the interconnects between G3X and GTN (it's basically the same as for a 430W).

cheers,
mcb

Did they include the SL-30 serial protocol, to allow for auto-tuning from the G3x?

Did they include the SL-30 serial protocol, to allow for auto-tuning from the G3x?

I can tell you that the G3X tunes the SL-40 perfectly, if that means anything...doesn't have anything to do with the GTN series of course!

Paul

I can tell you that the G3X tunes the SL-40 perfectly, if that means anything...doesn't have anything to do with the GTN series of course!

Paul

Actually, the full protocol would be nice, allowing a simple serial hookup. That's the reason so many EFIS systems work with the SL30 but have trouble interfacing to other VOR/ILS receivers without extra boxes.

Technology upgrade

Strasnuts
'' So now the question is:
How much can I sell my
430W''

I know the answer...really,really cheap so I can buy it.. ;-):D:D

Bruno

G3X SD memory card question

Can someone (maybe Matt) please answer these G3X memory card questions for me...

In my RV-7A I have set up and used the ACE funciton for creating checklists for my 2 display G3X Panel... It works very well. Questions:

1. Will the G3X system allow me to load the checklists into the units or do I need to keep the SD card loaded into the slot at all times?
2. With the SD card (loaded with checklists) and in the slot, does the G3X system (without my request) automatically save some kind of Data on the card? I really don't want to save data on that SD Checklist card...
3. What kinds of Data should I be saving on an SD card? Are there instructions to do this in the installation or users manuals?
4. If the checklist data cannot be loaded into the G3X units and the SD memory card needs to stay in the slot at all times to use checklists, would it be helpful or useful to have cards (with checklists) in both slots of my 2 display system?
5. Are the G3X units SDHC compatible or will I only be able to use SD memory cards?

Thanx very much in advance...

Victor

1. Will the G3X system allow me to load the checklists into the units or do I need to keep the SD card loaded into the slot at all times?
2. With the SD card (loaded with checklists) and in the slot, does the G3X system (without my request) automatically save some kind of Data on the card? I really don't want to save data on that SD Checklist card...
3. What kinds of Data should I be saving on an SD card? Are there instructions to do this in the installation or users manuals?
4. If the checklist data cannot be loaded into the G3X units and the SD memory card needs to stay in the slot at all times to use checklists, would it be helpful or useful to have cards (with checklists) in both slots of my 2 display system?
5. Are the G3X units SDHC compatible or will I only be able to use SD memory cards?

1. You do need the SD card in the slot to access checklists (they are not stored internal to the display unit).
2. Log files that contain a variety of useful information are automatically written to the card whenever it is in the slot, but you can disable this via the LOG config page.
3. The SD card is used for storage of log files, checklists, software and database updates, and can also be used to import and export flight plans and user waypoints.
4. You only need the SD card with the checklist on it in the slot of the unit you want to view checklists on. If you want to view checklists on two display units then you need two cards.
5. It's impractical to test every type and brand of card, but I've seen good results with regular old SD cards.

mcb

Thanx Matt...

Just trying to get the most use out of my new G3Xs... The checklist feature is easy to use and very helpful.

Thanx again,

Victor

Recorded Data

I had an HD card that wouldn't load an update one time -- but it did later.

Some of the items recorded every second are:
Local Date yyyy-mm-dd

UTC Time hh:mm:ss
UTC Offset hh:mm

Active Waypoint Identifier ident
Active Waypoint Distance nm
Active Waypoint Bearing deg
HSI Source enum

Selected Heading deg
Selected Altitude ft
Course deg
Magnetic Variation deg
Cross Track Error nm

AFCS State enum
AFCS Roll Mode enum
AFCS Pitch Mode enum
Commanded Roll deg
Commanded Pitch deg
Commanded Vertical Speed fpm

Horizontal CDI Deflection +/-1.0
Horizontal CDI Scale enum
Vertical CDI Deflection +/-1.0
Vertical CDI Scale feet
GPS Fix enum

EGT 1 deg F
EGT 2 deg F
EGT 3 deg F
EGT 4 deg F

CHT 1 deg F
CHT 2 deg F
CHT 3 deg F
CHT 4 deg F

Oil Temp deg F
Oil Press PSI

Fuel Qty gal
Fuel Press PSI
Fuel Flow gal/hr

RPM
Manifold Press inch Hg

Volts M volts
Volts 2 volts
Amps 1 amps
Amps 2 amps

Local Time hh:mm:ss

Latitude deg
Longitude deg
GPS Alt ft
Baro Alt ft
Baro Setting inch Hg

Ground Track deg true
Heading deg

TAS kts
IAS kts
Ground Speed kts
Vertical Speed fpm
Pitch deg
Roll deg
Lateral Acceleration G
Normal Acceleration G

Outside Air Temp deg C
Wind Speed kts
Wind Direction deg

It's very easy to graph parts of this info using MS Excel. Phase 1 should be a lot easier with all this info.

setting up the maps on a 2 screen G3X system

I need help getting items like ETA, Distance to Airport, Flight timers set up in the G3x. I just started using the system, i think it will be great, but need a better guide than the garmin pilots guide, i can find the info there.
Would it be in the install manual?
Anyone in texas that can set it up along with the TT AP?

I need help getting items like ETA, Distance to Airport, Flight timers set up in the G3x. I just started using the system, i think it will be great, but need a better guide than the garmin pilots guide, i can find the info there.
Would it be in the install manual?

To change data fields, see pages 40 through 42 of the G3X Pilot's Guide.

There is no specific autopilot setup required on the G3X side other than to connect things as shown in figure F-1.5 on page F-5 in the G3X Install Manual, and to configure the inputs and outputs as described on pages 7-15 through 7-18. Briefly, configure the appropriate RS-232 port format to "Integrated Autopilot" and the appropriate ARINC 429 port to "Autopilot". All autopilot gain adjustments are done via the GX Pilot control head, so I'll direct you to the GX Pilot Install Manual for that.

To learn about the operation of the integrated autopilot, take a look at section 9 in the G3X Pilot's Guide (pages 211 through 250). Or, take a look at the videos here for a brief overview of the various modes. Or, find me in the display at Oshkosh and I'll give you the ten-cent tour...

good luck,
mcb

Last edited:
Another question...

Does the G3X have a Hobbs meter function? I searched the PDF without anything coming up and would like to know if I should plan for a separate one in my panel.

Does the G3X have a Hobbs meter function? I searched the PDF without anything coming up and would like to know if I should plan for a separate one in my panel.

Yes, there are separate displays for engine time and airframe time. See pages 80 through 82 in the pilot's guide and pages 8-30 and 8-31 in the install manual.

mcb

Please don't take offense "Cuatro", but you might get a better response to a request for help if you at least included your name (as required by the sign-up rules, although the forums will let you sign up as "George Washington") . And rememebr, Texas is a big place - you'd have to pin it down a little before I could offer to help - I'm near Houston BTW.

Paul

My name is Cuatro Strack. I live in El Campo.

I have all the data flowing, i checked all that, just need to get all options set up right. The equipment is packed with in info, only if i learn to use it.

Thanks for the pages to look up mburch. i am going to look right now

El Campo's not too far Cuatro - let us know if you need some help after you've gone through the manual, and we can find time to get together - be glad to help with what I know so far.

Paul

ACE for the G3X

Matt,

Questions regarding the ACE for the G3X...

I have sucessfully created checklists that I am using to display on my MFD... is there an easy way to copy the checklits from ACE to something like Microsoft Word so that I can include checklists in my POH without re-keying the text?

Also, V6.10 of the G3X software shows a change that states: "Improved loading of checklist file from data card"... What does this mean? I noticed no particular difference.

Is Garmin expected to make any changes to ACE that will allow loading the Checklists into the G3X so that we can use checklists after removing the SD card?

I'm having a great time flying with my dual screen G3X/TruTrak Autopilot configuration.

Thanx very much for your help.

Victor

Questions regarding the ACE for the G3X...

I have sucessfully created checklists that I am using to display on my MFD... is there an easy way to copy the checklits from ACE to something like Microsoft Word so that I can include checklists in my POH without re-keying the text?

Also, V6.10 of the G3X software shows a change that states: "Improved loading of checklist file from data card"... What does this mean? I noticed no particular difference.

Is Garmin expected to make any changes to ACE that will allow loading the Checklists into the G3X so that we can use checklists after removing the SD card?

Well, I'm only about as familiar with the ACE program as you are, since it was originally created for certified applications and then re-used for G3X. So with that in mind, I'd say you can expect that "it is what it is". You can copy and paste by right clicking on a text box, as with pretty much any other Windows program.

The software change you pointed out was something very minor that shouldn't affect you unless you were trying to load a checklist with certain very specific contents that could be rejected as an error in previous versions. People reading this who've written software before know that when you open things up to user-entered data, your users will continually find ways to surprise you. :)

mcb

Last edited: