I put a fixed pitch on my -8 and am very pleased. I think that the "one-gear transmission" analogy is not quite on target...it is more like a speed boat prop since it "swims" in air rather than stuck in positive traction mode on pavement. I give up a bit of climb rate since I have biased towards cruise. This isn't a problem for me because I don't fly in the mountains. If I had that mission, I would have chosen the CS prop.

Doesn't surprise me the specs don't show much diff.

I switched from FP to C/S in my BD4 and honestly wasn't impressed and never really thought it was worth the money.

Climb rate for instance isn't about just the prop, it is determined by Ps (specific excess power) for a given airspeed, which is a function of the THP (thrust horse power) delivered by the prop and the Pr (power required) at that airspeed. As you know power required depends on a lot of factors. All things being equal and assuming most -8's are closely configured the biggest factors will be Gross weight and CG. Of course somebody who has gone to extreme measures to reduce the drag polar will have a better climb rate

So in a nut shell - take the same plane, under similar environmental test conditions and fly an ACCURATE performance profile in climb and cruise with both a FP and C/S I don't think you'll see significant differences in performance. But the word SIGNIFICANT means different things to different people.

If it were ALL about maximizing performance the the real discussion shouldn't be FP vs C/S but Recip vs Gas Turbine! :)

It simply boggles the mind that someone would build an RV, then hamstring its takeoff and climb performance with a fixed prop.

Because it is well proven many many times that there just ain't that much of a performance gain in an RV with a CS vs a FP and for the ~$6K delta in price, I would need to see some significant gains in performance.

Now for close formation flying, that is a different story all together....

Doesn't surprise me the specs don't show much diff.

I switched from FP to C/S in my BD4 and honestly wasn't impressed and never really thought it was worth the money.

Climb rate for instance isn't about just the prop, it is determined by Ps (specific excess power) for a given airspeed, which is a function of the THP (thrust horse power) delivered by the prop and the Pr (power required) at that airspeed. As you know power required depends on a lot of factors. All things being equal and assuming most -8's are closely configured the biggest factors will be Gross weight and CG. Of course somebody who has gone to extreme measures to reduce the drag polar will have a better climb rate

So in a nut shell - take the same plane, under similar environmental test conditions and fly an ACCURATE performance profile in climb and cruise with both a FP and C/S I don't think you'll see significant differences in performance. But the word SIGNIFICANT means different things to different people.

If it were ALL about maximizing performance the the real discussion shouldn't be FP vs C/S but Recip vs Gas Turbine! :)

Ken,

You speak from a perspective of having a solid background on the subject, thanks.

My general perspective on this stuff is observing what is happening and drawing some conclusions from it, I do not have a formal education on it. I find that if I let my fixed pitch prop wind up to 2400 rpm at WOT after take off, the climb performance is quite satisfactory.

A few months ago, I did a brake release climb to 10,000' in 8 minutes, 27 seconds. A friend challenged someone to do likewise with a constant speed 180 HP engine just to see what the difference would be.

So far no one has taken us up on it.

Because it is well proven many many times that there just ain't that much of a performance gain in an RV with a CS vs a FP and for the ~$6K delta in price, I would need to see some significant gains in performance.

Oh really...... :eek:

I know of NO one around here, who would prefer a F/P over a C/S, if it wasn't a matter of the initial cost. And we have a whole lot of RV's in this part of the world for the sake of performance comparison. All the F/P owners around here have mentioned the difference in performance when it comes to either takeoff or landing.

Personally, I'd been flying C/S props before I had the notion to build an RV. I knew the difference then, and the difference now. So being polite, I'll put it is way, ...around here................it is NOT well proven that there just isn't much of a performace gain between F/P & C/S.

If you live & fly in the flat lands at sea-level, or fly BD-4's, your thoughts may vary from mine. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A Lyc 0360, Hartzell C/S

it is NOT well proven that there just isn't much of a performance gain between F/P & C/S.

Subjective....Show the apples to apples data that prove that there is a huge difference in TO/Climb/Landing performance as an average across the board at an average density altitude....:cool:

If you live & fly in the flat lands at sea-level, or fly BD-4's, your thoughts may vary from mine. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A Lyc 0360, Hartzell C/S

Fly in and around the mountains of East TN....no sea-level here.:p

To each their own, You guys with C/S have fun squeezing the last drop of power from your craft, if money was no object, I would have one as well just to have another knob to adjust. :D Since I am on the budget plan for owning an airplane, I will put the extra $6k in avgas and still have a blast! I can fly along with a C/S RV with ease, yeah it might pull away slightly in the climb but I will never loose sight of it. Slowing a F/P RV down is easy if you use the correct technique and all the tools at your disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
...if you live & fly in the flat lands at sea-level, or fly BD-4's, your thoughts may vary from mine......L.Adamson --- RV6A Lyc 0360, Hartzell C/S
Your oft-repeated partisan bias is well known among members of this forum. At long last Larry, you finally seem willing to concede at least one highly significant point. Good on you. Not everybody flies out of a high altitude environment. Around much, if not most of the country elevations are not nearly as extreme as the environment you operate from. But when anyone is given to issuing blanket statements, in this case a C/S is superior to a F/P without qualifying it in any way, they are bound to be challenged. One more thing, at my airport with its pattern altitude of 1400' MSL, I have ZERO trouble slowing down my Sensenich equipped RV from cruise speed to landing speed while in the pattern. Those RV'ers who operate out of a similar environment yet *think* one has to start slowing down a F/P equipped RV some miles from the airport may benefit from some additional dual instruction.

Fixed v. CS

I'll try to do this without joining the argument but to provide my experience for those that are at the point of making a decision about which way to go.

I fly in high DA enviroment (my second home airport conisistantly has 10,000+ foot DAs for 3 months of the year), with turbulence and downdrafts because of the surrounding mountains, and rough short runways that, because of mountainous terrain, are quite often poorly aligned with the wind. To exit the valley, I need to be at 12,500 (15,000 DA) within 10 miles of the airport to clear the mountains in practically any direction.

In this environement, getting off the ground and away from it quickly are tatamount to comfort and safety, not just fun.

IFR flying with an RV in this enviroment not advisable if not suicidal. There is great turbulence, ice, and rocks in the clouds up here!

So, if you are building for a high mountain environment, and you intend to use your plane often, the above argument begs for more investment firewall forward. You can put less in the panel though because it is unlikly that you are going anywhere in IFC. Pretty easy to save the cost of CS prop by dropping the instruments you will never look at if you are going to give clouds the berth they deserve.

A mountain plane, and all the tradeoffs that you have to make when deciding how to outfit it, rightfully looks a little different than one intended for lower, flatter operations.

And my WW 151 is lighter than metal my Sensinich was!

Partisan bias

seems to be a 2 way street Rick! :D

This whole discussion really is about what we want. Not necessarily what we need.

I WANT all of the climb rate I can get. If all I wanted was 1000'/minute I could fly a spam can.:D

Your oft-repeated partisan bias is well known among members of this forum. At long last Larry, you finally seem willing to concede at least one highly significant point. Good on you. Not everybody flies out of a high altitude environment. Around much, if not most of the country elevations are not nearly as extreme as the environment you operate from. But when anyone is given to issuing blanket statements, in this case a C/S is superior to a F/P without qualifying it in any way, they are bound to be challenged. One more thing, at my airport with its pattern altitude of 1400' MSL, I have ZERO trouble slowing down my Sensenich equipped RV from cruise speed to landing speed while in the pattern. Those RV'ers who operate out of a similar environment yet *think* one has to start slowing down a F/P equipped RV some miles from the airport may benefit from some additional dual instruction.

Personally, I'd been flying C/S props before I had the notion to build an RV. I knew the difference then, and the difference now. So being polite, I'll put it is way, ...around here................it is NOT well proven that there just isn't much of a performace gain between F/P & C/S.

One of my subtle points in the discussion of Ps was that you CANNOT use two different airplanes to make the analysis..this is a fundamental Flight Test process foul. If all -8's were built to the same standard and configuration then yes it would be ok.. but this is not the case. One of the benefits of the FP is in most cases is it will be over 30lbs lighter, maybe not true for some of the lighter composite c/s props tho?. Does anyone have Climb Rate vs. Gross Weight and CG data?

The other thing I hear a lot of is the efficiency gained with a C/S prop..yet I can never get anyone to agree what efficiency they are talking about. I had the Hartzel software while I was doin a lot of test work that predicted the prop efficiency of the 76666 blade (I think thats the number??)..and depending on the DA, RPM, and A/S and prop diameter the efficiency (in this case the ratio of THP/SHP) varied from as low as 78% to as high as 86%. Comparing that with some of the more common FP props that often have efficiencies in the mid/low 80's you can see that depending on the flight regime the FP can and will have a higher efficiency.

Efficiency can be measured however you choose to measure it..

How about MPH/Fuel Rate? Or MPH/Total Acquisition cost?

Oooh I like that one... So if my max speed is say 200MPH with a FP and it cost me $50,000 total to "build" my plane I have an efficiency of .4% (200/50,000) *100)

If I put a C/S on and I now get 210MPH at $56000 my efficiency is .375% !

Its not hard to devise definitions to PROVE your point

Also, if I match my my airplane, engine, FP climb prop correctly it will do as well as an C/S in climb...but will certainly suffer in cruise.

But you might say yeah but I get to my destination faster..ok so maybe there is a benefit over the long haul for fuel savings. But with a 30lbs lighter plane I might be able to bring ALL of my wife's shoes, purses and hair products with me saving me that money at the destination end of the trip!! :)

BTW I had a guy with a 200hp RV-8 challenge me to a race in my 180hp BD-4. I told him no way he could possibly win and I was right...I kicked his butt!!! Actually he backed out...which is an even better win.

I told him the race was from St. Mary's, MD (2W6) to Ocean City straight line of about 70 miles...his plane cruised at 220 Mph mine was 180 Mph. He backed out cause the race was to see who could get their family of 4 from St. Marys to Ocean city with all their beach gear in the quickest time..HA!

Even SPEED needs to be defined to show one is "faster" than the other...

Honestly...this is not an effort to prove one is better than another...because I KNOW it cannot be done..because the criteria (as I've just shown above) can be tailored to fit your personal objectives... This is just for fun :)

But to make it really fun why don't those of you with flying RV-8 create a CAFE style fly-off

the first couple lines in my previous post are the quotes from the other guy..I don't know how to do that quote thing I guess

One of my subtle points in the discussion of Ps was that you CANNOT use two different airplanes to make the analysis..this is a fundamental Flight Test process foul. If all -8's were built to the same standard and configuration then yes it would be ok.. but this is not the case. One of the benefits of the FP is in most cases is it will be over 30lbs lighter, maybe not true for some of the lighter composite c/s props tho?. Does anyone have Climb Rate vs. Gross Weight and CG data?

The other thing I hear a lot of is the efficiency gained with a C/S prop..yet I can never get anyone to agree what efficiency they are talking about. I had the Hartzel software while I was doin a lot of test work that predicted the prop efficiency of the 76666 blade (I think thats the number??)..and depending on the DA, RPM, and A/S and prop diameter the efficiency (in this case the ratio of THP/SHP) varied from as low as 78% to as high as 86%. Comparing that with some of the more common FP props that often have efficiencies in the mid/low 80's you can see that depending on the flight regime the FP can and will have a higher efficiency.

Efficiency can be measured however you choose to measure it..

How about MPH/Fuel Rate? Or MPH/Total Acquisition cost?

Oooh I like that one... So if my max speed is say 200MPH with a FP and it cost me $50,000 total to "build" my plane I have an efficiency of .4% (200/50,000) *100)

If I put a C/S on and I now get 210MPH at $56000 my efficiency is .375% !

Its not hard to devise definitions to PROVE your point

Also, if I match my my airplane, engine, FP climb prop correctly it will do as well as an C/S in climb...but will certainly suffer in cruise.

But you might say yeah but I get to my destination faster..ok so maybe there is a benefit over the long haul for fuel savings. But with a 30lbs lighter plane I might be able to bring ALL of my wife's shoes, purses and hair products with me saving me that money at the destination end of the trip!! :)

BTW I had a guy with a 200hp RV-8 challenge me to a race in my 180hp BD-4. I told him no way he could possibly win and I was right...I kicked his butt!!! Actually he backed out...which is an even better win.

I told him the race was from St. Mary's, MD (2W6) to Ocean City straight line of about 70 miles...his plane cruised at 220 Mph mine was 180 Mph. He backed out cause the race was to see who could get their family of 4 from St. Marys to Ocean city with all their beach gear in the quickest time..HA!

Even SPEED needs to be defined to show one is "faster" than the other...

Honestly...this is not an effort to prove one is better than another...because I KNOW it cannot be done..because the criteria (as I've just shown above) can be tailored to fit your personal objectives... This is just for fun :)

But to make it really fun why don't those of you with flying RV-8 create a CAFE style fly-off

I've read everything you've wrote.....................and just have to say "so what..." But I'll even place a smiley here ....:), as I don't actually get upset, as it might appear. I'm smiling as I write this... :D

As Rick has mentioned; yes I do fly out of a 4200' msl airport, and most flights are in the 8500 - 10500' range. No matter how you look at it, from dollars to weight, the C/S will outshine the F/P everytime in performance from takeoffs to landing. Pilots from around here will simply look at all your figures and say "bah". We are going from RV experience; not what we think might happen.

As you've said, the only way a fixed pitch is going to better perform on an RV over a C/S is to have one that's either pitched for climb or cruise. With a lighter plane, you might win in either climb or cruise, but never both....

And of course, the reality is, that most F/P's are compromised between climb and cruise. That is fact, as the owner is never quite content with just one or the other.

So fine, fly at sea-level with your wooden prop RV8, and I'll happily continue with my C/S. You said that you wouldn't have a top line C/S if it was given to you. Most F/P pilots around here could only wish for a top line C/S. They'd take it in a second if their engine allowed for it. And I'm not making this up. I've flown in many F/P equipped RV's in the last 15 years. I know exactly what these pilot/owners have said. But then............yes, we live in the mountains... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
My eyes hurt....

After reading all those responses my eyes hurt.... I've got quite a lot of time behind both and enjoy them both. Any day I get to go fly is absolutely fantastic. I like being able to get the most horsepower out of my engine on takeoff with a CS because it feels good to me and I like it. If I can only get out of a field with a CS then I probably should not be making that flight that day. Most of the "Ladies" and "Guys" that one takes flying to impress them don't know what the blue knob does..(UNLESS you are Mrs Dye :) or my GF).. they are simply impressed that you can fly an airplane. The fuel burn difference is not enough to cause anybody to bounce a check to the FBO. The maintenance cost as well as the initial cost will be more than a FP. Usually there is a weight penalty of some sort with the CS... but if you did some yardwork every night then you could lose 30 lbs couldn't you? I was 250... now I'm 230... from doing yard work. 195 here I come. So if I may quote some non-descript redneck, "RUN WHACHA BRUNG" and be happy. And if it counts for anything... my helicopter has a CS :)

Best
Brian Wallis

There's no question to me about the performance advantage of the CS. I am on the fence though if it is worth the extra $$. Of course convincing my wife that we need to climb 200 fpm more and cruise 4 kts faster all for the bargain price of $10,000 is the real challenge.:)

I put a fixed pitch on my -8 and am very pleased. I think that the "one-gear transmission" analogy is not quite on target...it is more like a speed boat prop since it "swims" in air rather than stuck in positive traction mode on pavement. I give up a bit of climb rate since I have biased towards cruise. This isn't a problem for me because I don't fly in the mountains. If I had that mission, I would have chosen the CS prop.

The "single speed transmission" analogy is used because a fixed pitch is only "optimal" at a single speed - period. Assuming we're talking about a prop pitched for typical RV cruise speeds, can this same propeller allow the engine to turn to full rated HP at brake release? No. Can it do it from stall speed? No. Can it do it at Vy? No. The FP certainly has a few discrete advantages and the right prop will even outperform a CS at a single speed, but it also makes a less capable RV on the whole. For some, the added capability is not worth the added cost - I'm just not one of those people...

Not both

There's no question to me about the performance advantage of the CS. I am on the fence though if it is worth the extra $$. Of course convincing my wife that we need to climb 200 fpm more and cruise 4 kts faster all for the bargain price of $10,000 is the real challenge.:)

You aren't likely to get both improved climb and cruise. Most fixed pitch propellers are optimized for one or the other. My order from Catto is for a cruise pitch three-bladed prop, and Craig Catto assures me that it will equal or exceed the cruise speed of a constant-speed prop.

Climb is another story, however. I'm accustomed to climb of about 600 fpm in my Bonanza. I anticipate that the Catto will exceed that by a big margin, but I know it will not equal the performance of a constant-speed prop in climb pitch.

I'd love to have the braking power of a constant-speed prop. Money's tight right now, though, and I think the performance of the RV will vastly exceed that of my Bonanza, so I'll be happy.

Mike,
My RV-6 with an O-320 with a 3-blade Catto is giving me about 3 times the climb of your Bonanza. I think you will be very happy with it. With the proper technique you will be able to slow down in the pattern with no problem. Since the diameter of the 3-blade is less, drag is less. It took me about 5 landings to get used to the new "drag pattern". I fly into my 1500' strip with no problems.

You aren't likely to get both improved climb and cruise. Most fixed pitch propellers are optimized for one or the other. My order from Catto is for a cruise pitch three-bladed prop, and Craig Catto assures me that it will equal or exceed the cruise speed of a constant-speed prop.

Most fixed pich are a compromise between cruise and climb. A "true" cruise only prop (as installed on a Formula 1 race plane, for instance) would be a dog in takeoff and climb.

...And of course Mr Catto gave you an "assurance"... ;)

Climb is another story, however. I'm accustomed to climb of about 600 fpm in my Bonanza. I anticipate that the Catto will exceed that by a big margin, but I know it will not equal the performance of a constant-speed prop in climb pitch.

I'd love to have the braking power of a constant-speed prop. Money's tight right now, though, and I think the performance of the RV will vastly exceed that of my Bonanza, so I'll be happy.

Mike, have not fear, you'll be satisfied with the CATTO.

Here's a copy a post on June 30 regarding climb performance of the RV-7A with a Lycoming 180 HP engine and the 3 blade CATTO.

For those interested in real world climb numbers concerning RV-7A, gather 'round. I just landed and this is what I wrote down.

First off, here are the starting points.

OAT 81F, SL pressure 29.74, airport elevation 630'.
Aircraft gross weight = 1512 lbs, CG @ 83.2", take off fuel = 39.3 gallons.

Climb power from take off was wide open throttle. Rather than try to guess a best climb speed for the conditions, I decided to let the engine decide that. After take off, when rpm hit 2400-2500, climb was initiated at 110-115 KIAS. I maintained 2400-2500 rpm all the way up to level off. Also, the engine was leaned using the target EGT technique from a lead provided by hevans7a last evening. I used 1300F. Max CHT in the climb was 407F, oil temp never hit 180.

The Dynon timer was started as power came up for take off. Here's what happened.

Out of 2000 MSL - 1:31 minutes (913 fpm)
Out of 4000 MSL - 3:00 minutes (1123 fpm)
Out of 6000 MSL - 4:43 minutes (1130 fpm)
Out of 8000 MSL - 6:26 minutes (1142 fpm)
Level at 10,000 MSL - 8:27 minutes (1104 fpm)

The rates of climb have the airport elevation factored in and it must be noted - time is from standing still on the runway - conservatively one could subtract at least 30 seconds if times were measured from the initiation of the climb at 110 KIAS. I should have noted that time but did not. If it were as much as a minute, it would make a huge difference. Average rate to 10 grand would be 1252 fpm.

Density altitude at level off 11,810'

Fuel at level off = 37.2 (2.1 gallons burned to 10,000')

Total time of the flight 17:48 by the Dynon timer. Fuel remaining at shut down = 36.5 gallons (3.8 gallons up and down)

For sure a light weight RV-4 with 180hp and a CS prop will do much better. But all in all, it isn't that bad for 1500 lb + airplane on a relatively warm day with a fixed pitch prop.

optimums

what are the optimums for your C/S prop? What is the optimum RPM for each A/S? How do you measure your Optimum? (A/S)/Fuel Flow is good one. Have you mapped out your props optimum RPM's over the A/S band of your plane since you can achieve the same HP from a host of acceptable Manifold Pressure and RPM combinations (looking at the engine charts)?

If I'm flying my RV8 with a FP going 200 mph and you are flying your RV8 with a C/S going 200 mph how would you verify you are at optimum RPM? Or that I am not? What is the variance from optimum for each? If my fuel flow is higher at the same A/S than yours, is this an indication your prop is more efficient or that my airframe has more drag, is heavier or has a more forward CG?

What about Density altitude which has an enormous effect on prop performance? The inter-relationships between all these factors are decidedly non-linear and really only determined through experimentation (testing).

Will your T/O performance with a C/S prop be better than a FP plane that is 100lbs lighter in GW? Dunno...does it matter?

Mike, have not fear, you'll be satisfied with the CATTO.

Perhaps... Perhaps not. What one person decides to "live with" is another's complete disapointment, and there is no real way to say for sure until you live with it for a while. But I think it is a proven fact that a FP leaves some performance "on the table" compared to a CS - the real challenge here is to quantify that disparity and then each person has to decide if the extra performance of the CS prop is worth the premium price.

I think for this to be a valuable thread for those "on the fence", we should stick to the facts and not work so hard to brush aside the attributes that others value. For some of us, maximum acceleration and climb is a significant requirement and the weight and cost of a CS are easily justified, while others value the light weight and simplicity of the fixed unit... However, to muddy the waters by claiming one is "almost as good" or does not "significantly" increase performance is a disservice. Let's see some numbers. Let's hear from the people who have switched from one to the other on the same airplane. I know Rosie went CS - there must be others. I would be very happy to find out that a FP performs as well as a CS on an RV... But having flown both flavors, you'll have to prove it with hard data to convince me.

Perhaps... Perhaps not. What one person decides to "live with" is another's complete disapointment, and there is no real way to say for sure until you live with it for a while. But I think it is a proven fact that a FP leaves some performance "on the table" compared to a CS - the real challenge here is to quantify that disparity and then each person has to decide if the extra performance of the CS prop is worth the premium price.

I think for this to be a valuable thread for those "on the fence", we should stick to the facts and not work so hard to brush aside the attributes that others value. For some of us, maximum acceleration and climb is a significant requirement and the weight and cost of a CS are easily justified, while others value the light weight and simplicity of the fixed unit... However, to muddy the waters by claiming one is "almost as good" or does not "significantly" increase performance is a disservice. Let's see some numbers. Let's hear from the people who have switched from one to the other on the same airplane. I know Rosie went CS - there must be others. I would be very happy to find out that a FP performs as well as a CS on an RV... But having flown both flavors, you'll have to prove it with hard data to convince me.

Well then, its just a matter of what one wants and is willing to accept.

I've flown this same airplane over 300 hours with a CS MT prop and am satisfied with the FP CATTO. I know what the data is and it doesn't matter. In my book the extra weight, cost and complexity of the CS prop on these little airplanes is not worth it.

The discussion isn't about which is best, we know CS performance is better. It's about what we each want and nothing else.

Well then, its just a matter of what one wants and is willing to accept.

I've flown this same airplane over 300 hours with a CS MT prop and am satisfied with the FP CATTO. I know what the data is and it doesn't matter. In my book the extra weight, cost and complexity of the CS prop on these little airplanes is not worth it.

The discussion isn't about which is best, we know CS performance is better. It's about what we each want and nothing else.

Wasn't the same engine though. A Subie & I assume an elec. prop.

Once again; and yes it has to do with our altitude above 4000' msl.............
constant speed props are VERY worth it on these little airplanes. There is simply no C/S owner around here that I know, who would switch. Yet the F/P owners seem to prefer our C/S performace.

L.Adamson --- RV6A