Status
Not open for further replies.

RV8R999

Well Known Member
I'm sure this will be interesting...

I have an Xp-360, carb, FP. Superiors engine manual has a whole section dedicated to the use of auto fuel and fully supports its use as long as it is 93 octane or higher. However, the words, "Use of fuel mixed with Ethanol is Prohibited"

I'm sure someone here is using Ethanol mixed fuel in a Xp engine :) What have you discovered?

Thx,

Ken

Ken,

There are a number of threads on the use of Ethanol. Try using the search feature, I'm sure you will find more than one thread.

There are a ton of threads covering ethanol but I'm trying to home in on the use with Xp engines specifically from someone who is actually using it. Not really looking for the speculations...

I'll keep searching though.

There are a ton of locations all over the US where one can buy no-methanol fuel. Someone posted this very useful site the other day. http://pure-gas.org/
Has the sites listed by state.

It appears that boat owners and others have created quite a demand and the marketplace is responding.

I have an XP-360, and since Superior says no ethanol, I do comply as they just might know what they're talking about...

YMMV

Jerry - I tend to agree with you in regards to Superiors warning about ethanol. I'm curious what is so different about XP engines that makes alcohol a no-no but in a lycoming its ok?

Florida has mandatory use of ethanol with no one local (at least that I know of) selling non ethanol mixed fuel.

Jerry - I tend to agree with you in regards to Superiors warning about ethanol. I'm curious what is so different about XP engines that makes alcohol a no-no but in a lycoming its ok?

I'm not sure that Ethanol is approved by Lyco though Ken....I know that I won't use ethanol-containing fuel because we simply don't know what componentsa aren't compatable at this time.

I agree I don't think it is approved by Lyco either but we all know many folks have been using it for a long time...I'm not intending to do so either but am curious if those that have had any issues.

I guess the bottom line is - if it isn't approved by the manufacterer why does it APPEAR to work without issues? If it works without issues over the life of the engine, then why isn't it approved?

If someone can tell me they've used ethanol for long period of time in an Xp-360 without any issues I'd then be more interested in seriously investigating the validity of the restriction. Without some real world experience to justify the risk it wouldn't be worth the time to dig any further.

The small engine repair shops around town refer to it as Ethanol Poisoning.

The carbs are the problem. Its not nearly as predictable as gasoline w/o alcohol.

Use Stabil or Sea Foam to add to your small engines fuel tanks.

I think I'll pass on it in my Lycoming carb.

For all practical purposes, an XP and a Lyc are identical AFAIK ;) Furthermore, both in themselves will probably run on auto fuel, with or without some ethanol.

However, looking at the "overall fuel system", there may/will be issues with seals degrading, vapour locks, water absorption. It therefore becomes a more "type" specific issue, and since RVs are tightly cowled i.e. hotter around some of the fuel piping than other types, and no 2 RVs have the same fuel system :eek: I would suggest getting correct feedback/advice will be difficult?

Ultimately many may tell you they do run successfully on it - is that good enough to risk you / your aircraft / your family on? All part of the delights of "Experimental".

Over here (UK) it is all clearer, and essentially not permitted for RVs AFAIK (to operate would require a type approval and preusambly test process).

You could always ask you insurance company for their thoughts :D

Andy

Totally agree Andy but those other issues are all addressable at the builder level. The design limitations of the engine would be much more problematic to overcome.

Ethanol issue:

it APPEAR to work without issues?

If someone can tell me they've used ethanol for long period of time in an Xp-360 without any issues I'd then be more interested in seriously investigating the validity of the restriction. Without some real world experience to justify the risk it wouldn't be worth the time to dig any further.

The main issue is Vapour lock- I have used 92 octane in my Lyc. 0360(Exp and Lyc use the same carb/fuel system) for a couple of years. This is the first year that a ethanol free station in our area are using Ethanol in small amounts (1 to 3%). It WILL vapor lock in a high heat soaked situation. I have a data point for that! :eek:

The main issue is Vapour lock- I have used 92 octane in my Lyc. 0360(Exp and Lyc use the same carb/fuel system) for a couple of years. This is the first year that a ethanol free station in our area are using Ethanol in small amounts (1 to 3%). It WILL vapor lock in a high heat soaked situation. I have a data point for that! :eek:

I'd respectfully submit that if you read a bunch on the topic, material incompatibility is not insignificant. Many of the traditional O-ring and sealing compounds get gooey and dissolve in ethanol, creating leaks and clogging fuel systems. This is clearly and addressable issue, if you can replace everything in the fuel system with ethanol-compatible materials (and some folks have, according to anecdotal accounts). While Vapor lock can easily show up right away under the right temperature and pressure conditions, material problems might take a couple of years to show up - and if/when they do, it could be quite a mess to clean up. That's my main objection to Ethanol.

Paul

liability?

I'm sure this will be interesting...

I have an Xp-360, carb, FP. Superiors engine manual has a whole section dedicated to the use of auto fuel and fully supports its use as long as it is 93 octane or higher. However, the words, "Use of fuel mixed with Ethanol is Prohibited"

I'm sure someone here is using Ethanol mixed fuel in a Xp engine :) What have you discovered?

Thx,

Ken

In the interest of minimizing corporate liability, this language doesn't surprise me an iota. If a company could build an engine, sell it, and stay in business all the while saying, "any use of fuel is prohibited":D some companies would do just that, and I wouldn't really take them to task for that. Reducing/managing liability is a reality for most any business in the US.
The upshot, self-education and persistence may be the only path if you want to run ethanol. In Brazil, the crop dusters proved the viability of ethanol by running thousands of gallons without approval, enough to the point the manufacturer was dragged kicking and screaming to building an "approved" ethanol versions. There was great incentive to do that in Brazil. The crop dusters operate in the ag sector, ethanol was much, much cheaper than avgas, and sure they reported a bit more power, lower maintenance costs, but the real driver was price.

http://www.embraer.com/english/content/imprensa/press_releases_detalhe.asp?id=880

Why not push Superior a little bit? Ask what isn't ethanol compatible. When they tell you, ask for real data.
Read what others have experienced with ethanol. There's plenty on the forum. I'd suggest search terms of "hodges" and "ethanol compatibility". Also, look for Vanguard Squadron. They've been running on ethanol quite a while now.

Interestingly, I pushed for data with an FAA person, (one of the signatories on an official ethanol prohibited report) and he reported he did some experiments in his garage and manufacturers told him they did experiments, but unfortunately, he didn't/couldn't get the data because of proprietary concerns. Apparently, that was what the report was based on... Which, I'm ok with being conservative, but when the preponderance of evidence accumulates that under certain conditions, ethanol use is fine, even positive under some conditions, then we just have a industry problem with "change". That's not a technical problem.

Am I skeptical of the naysayers. You bet. Are they doing their job, you bet! Change shouldn't be easy, but it should be possible, if the data supports it.

There are a ton of threads covering ethanol but I'm trying to home in on the use with Xp engines specifically from someone who is actually using it. Not really looking for the speculations...

I'll keep searching though.

Ken,

XP engines are clones of the Lycoming and most of, if not all of, parts they contain carry a PMA number. Thus, what works in a Lycoming will work in the clone and what doesn't work in a Lycoming probably won't work in the clone.

That's why I directed you to perform a search.

There are members of this forum who run ethanol laced MOGAS in their planes and you will find their comments on those threads.

I have a XP 0-360 that I switched to Bendix FI.

I have been running it on a mix of pure ethanol and 100LL. For the last 65 hours it has been a mix of 25% to 60% ethanol. Right now I am running 60% E98 and 40% 100LL. No issues so far, but if you want to hear someone tell you it can't work, keep asking. There are plenty of people on this board who know someone who knows somebody who had trouble in a 25 year old boat/lawnmower/chainsaw.

I have no idea on the carb, I went with FI and had Airflow Performance set it up.

lance -

Can you share some data - CHT/EGT, Oil T, have you had any abnormal engine issues?

It is encouraging this is working for you but 65 hours is still young in the life of this experiment. I'm no nay sayer as I believe results and data not hype.

Thanks for sharing!
Ken

RV8R999--The temps are fine, the EGT is of course controlled by the mixture. My cyl head temp at 25 squared is right at 370, leaned to 50 to 75 ROP. The oil temp is right at 190, when the ambient temp is in the 80's. The fuel flow at that setting is right at 13-13.5 GPH when running 60% E98. I haven't run straight 100ll since the first few hours, so I dont have firm numbers on FF comparison. I will go back to 100LL when the weather gets cold. When I first started with the mix, at 30% E98 my FF increased about a gallon at the same EGT, or the EGT went up about 100 degrees if I left the mixture alone. I used straight 100LL in one tank, and 30% in the other to compare.

http://www.ethanolairshows.com/

http://www.gregpoe.com/Default.html

My experience with ethanol is with an auto engine, not Lycoming.

But the experience has produced a some conclusions that run contrary to frequently stated myths about ethanol.

1. Ethanol does not contribute to vapor lock. I've tested E85 for vapor pressure and it comes nearly as good as 100LL. Vapor lock can and does occur with and without ethanol, it is a temperature issue not related to ethanol. I get vapor lock all the time in the flow divider area after an hot start running 100LL. It is very normal. The fuel pressure in that area is 1-3 psi and with a low flow rate at idle on the ground with minimal air flow cooling, fuel will vaporize. Running the engine at 12-1400 rpm will keep it alive until take off. The issue has nothing to do with ethanol.

2. A properly designed fuel system will run just fine with 10% ethanol or perhaps even 100% ethanol. IMHO most engines don't care much, but the various seals and O rings do. Unless these items are specifically designed to withstand alcohol, there will be problems. And with the RV it starts at the fuel drain valves. Those O rings will swell up unless they are changed out to those of material to withstand alcohol. (As a matter of fact, SafeAir has such O rings, a rep gave me some at OSH a few years ago.)

But fuel drain valves are just the beginning of our fuel system. I won't burn ethanol with the Lycoming because almost for sure the mechanical fuel pump is not designed to handle it. From that point on it is OK as Air Flow Performance fuel injection is impervious to ethanol. But I would never consider ethanol with a carburetor. It is not designed to deal with ethanol, period.

Aluminum fuel tanks are another issue. All auto fuel tanks are of a composit material. The jury is out on whether or not an aluminum fuel tank will withstand alcohol indefinitely. So far it looks OK, I ran 10% mogas for 4 years and while a film did develop over the internal surface of the tank, its origin is unknown. It could be from other ingredients in the fuel and nothing to do with ethanol. 100LL has some 80 different chemical ingredients and it too may contribute to such film build up. I did run 100LL when mogas was not available.

The bottom line here is unless the system is specifically designed to deal with alcohol the use of it is experimental, big time. The reason Lycoming and all the clones stay away from it is purely self defense. 100LL is a known in their world, ethanol is not.

I haven't heard that Lyco says it's OK... Superior is/was a relatively small company that might not have the resources to do exhaustive testing re ethanol so probably easier to just say "don't use it"... It's enough for me just to hear boat owners squawk about their problems so why experiment with the stuff? False economy IMO...

YMMV

However, looking at the "overall fuel system", there may/will be issues with seals degrading, vapour locks, water absorption. It therefore becomes a more "type" specific issue, and since RVs are tightly cowled i.e. hotter around some of the fuel piping than other types, and no 2 RVs have the same fuel system :eek: I would suggest getting correct feedback/advice will be difficult?

Andy

I'm guessing you are not including the rv12 in your statement about rv being all different?

STC's have been issued permitting mogas in certain Lycoming engines but this has not been approved by Lycoming. It may be legal but it is not approved by the factory. See page 17 of the Flyer for their position on the issue. Ethanol is not approved by the STC's and doubly not approved by Lycoming.

been running alcohol mogas for 250 hours

My XP 360 has been guzzling shell 92 octane almost continuously since break-in.

I'm not crazy about running LOP with auto fuel since I'm not sure if it is bad or not, but other rhan that, no problems so far.

my statement about it being ok in a Lycoming had nothing to do with an approval by Lycoming but rather the oodles of info from folks running ethanol in Lycoming engines without issue...thereby making it OK from a practical real-world application point of view. The point of the thread was to determine if those with Xp engines have similar results. MFGs will never approve something unless they've tested it, which is not the same as testing it and proving it is harmful.

they say the ethanol will effect rubber o-rings.....

my fuel drains have not had any problems. what i have seen from years of mixing 100LL/car gas with MMO is cleared to go. my 2 cents saved. i fly a lot and the gas station is next to the airport.
img1116.jpg

now this guy has some issues to attend to!!!!!!!!

Lycomings opinion

Cessna published a service newsletter SNL10-5 on May 18, 2010 werein they give their reasons for prohibiting Ethanol. Interesting read. Russ

;452107 said:

Ok, hang on just a minute. I've been sitting at the bar and watching the dance for a long time here keeping my mouth shut, but enough is enough. It's time to take a step back from La-La land and get a cotton'-pickin' grip on reality for just a darn minute.

All comments here are from a double-degreed college-educated and laboratory-trained chemist and engineer currently earning a darn-fine living dealing with hydrocarbons and the combustion of such in internal combustion engines. If you don't like what you hear, don't believe it, I honestly don't care.

Go read the afore-mentioned quote at the top of this message, and then see my responses below.

Point #1: Cessna's comment about detonation margins and fuel flow volume is WORDED to appear to apply to all ethanol-containing fuels, but is ACCURATE only to fuels approaching 85% (or greater) ethanol content. 10% MOGAS does not equate to this statement. The key here is "ethanol-based fuels", and that covers A LOT of territory - if we are considering AGE85 or higher ethanol content, this statement is, for the most part, true. If we look at standard automotive highway-grade E-mogas, it is nowhere near accurate, and I challenge anyone to present hard data refuting my statement. If you can prove me wrong, I'll sit down and shut up. This forum is not the appropriate place for Chem 101, but this shall suffice as notice that you need to learn more than "fuel in, exhaust out".

Point #2, part A: This is fear-mongering at it's finest. Most of the mentioned problems are common to both 100LL AND any ethanol-based fuels, and have no relation to quantity of ethanol in the fuel, but rather to the fuel distribution system itself, and weather exposure in particular. Specifically - the "extreme corrosion of ferrous metals" is caused by water entrained in the fuel (let's not get started on solvation of water just yet - I'll address that in a moment). Let's all go back to our PSEL student days for just a moment, and remember our instructor teaching us to SUMP THE TANKS during our preflight inspection. Why was this done? Oh yes - TO CHECK FOR WATER. WITH 100LL. Let me repeat that - WATER IN 100LL. Yes, it's possible, just as in any fuel service. That's why we check after each fueling and before the first flight of each day. It happens. Be prepared.

Point #2, part B - formation of salt deposits - from where? The only place salt can enter the combustion chamber is in water-borne suspension or solvation. If it was suspension or minor solvation, we would already be seeing it in everyday use with 100LL for the obvious exposure that we already guard against. Salt (as long as we are talking about the vastly-most-common sodium chloride variety) is far more soluble in water than in hydrocarbon fuel, and is SPECIFICALLY filtered out at the refineries during hydrocarbon-chain based fuel synthesis from raw stock, for the simple reason that it causes severe corrosion at the refinery and they are FAR more worried about their $100M+ refinery than your $10K engine.

Point #2, part C - jelly-like deposits - I have to call BS on this, simply because any serious analysis of NTSB reports will utterly fail to find any significant proportion of engine-failure accidents proported to originate from "jelly-like deposits on fuel strainers". Again, I welcome anyone to prove me wrong here. It's easy to throw dust in the wind.

Point #2, part D - this is the only part of Point #2 that has any basis in fact. Natural rubber components do not react well to ethanol, showing a response to concentrations commonly accepted to begin at 3.5-4%. The most typical reaction to E-based MOGAS is softening of the rubber, deteroriation and flaking, followed by separation and complete failure after some hundreds of hours of exposure to E-10, or as little as a few dozen hours with AGE85. This applies to all natural rubber components of the aircraft fuel system, including (from start to finish) fuel filler cap seals, rubber fuel tank bladders, fuel tank sump drain seals, rubber fuel lines and hoses, engine-driven fuel pump diaphragms, and carburetor floats and seals. It should be noted that ALL OF THESE COMPONENTS have after-market material replacements available that are not affected by ethanol. I will not recommend any of them here, simply because you need to do your own homework.

Point #3 - in all my experience and education, there is exactly zero basis for this statement, with regard to the difference between 100LL and ethanol-based fuels (of any EtOH concentration). I eagerly await anyone who can present evidence otherwise. The ONLY possible exception would be for the use of natural rubber components in the electric fuel pump, which has been adequately covered under Point 2-D above.

Point #4 - This is only partially true, and depends on the equipment installed in the aircraft. For the case of the most common float-type senders, the only consideration is whether or not the float itself will be affected by the ethanol content. Any type of composite (plastic/rubber/foam) has the potential to be affected, unless you know from personal experience and education that it is impervious to ethanol attack. Metal floats are just as immune to ethanol-based inaccuracies as they are to 100LL-based inaccuracies, and for the same reasons. Electro-capacitance indicator systems are very accurate in their response to total fuel quantity in the tanks, but are sensitive to the fuel TYPE in that each particular fuel type has different chemical (and electrical) characteristics. If you have capacitive senders calibrated for 100LL and you switch to E-10, you MUST RECALIBRATE your senders. Likewise, if you go back to 100LL from E10, you MUST RECALIBRATE your senders. The response of the fuel capacitance senders will be different with different fuel compositions. THEY ARE NOT EQUALIVALENT.

(Further points listed in next post, system won't allow a post beyond 8 kilobytes length)

Last edited:
(Continued from above)

Point #5 - ALL FUEL DISSOLVES WATER. That's right, I said it - ALL FUEL DISSOLVES WATER. To some degree or other, depending on temperature and composition, there will always be some minor water content in your fuel. Now, before we initiate "Panic Mode", let's think about this rationally. Go back to Point # 2-A above. Why do we sump the tanks? Oh yeah! Because there might BE WATER in there! When would the water be visible? WHEN IT DROPS OUT OF SUSPENSION. If it does NOT drop out of suspension, does that mean it isn't there? Only if you believe in the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy.... The water is still there, just dissolved in the fuel just like sugar in your tea. As long as it stays there, life is good. The ONLY TIME heartburn ensues is when it drops out of suspension. This can happen (with any given total water content) as the fuel temperature drops and the ability of the fuel to carry the water in suspension decreases, resulting in SOME (not all) of it forming independent water droplets. These water droplets will (in time) congregate, aggregate, and drop to the bottom of the tank where they can be seen at the sump (and also by the fuel-pump strainer - WHICH IS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO EXCLUDE WATER DROPLETS from entering the fuel line to the fuel pump). The point about E-based fuels being able to dissolve water down to -77F is a red herring - Avgas behaves the same way - the reason the temperature of -77F is chosen for this article is because that is the lowest temperature at which the FAA requires the fuel be proven to function for its intended purpose, because it was never foreseen that we would EVER be flying piston-based powerplants at ambient temperatures below this point. Below that temperature (-80, or -90, or even -120F), the fuel will still carry a very small fraction of water content, but it will not be "approved" for use in aviation engines at that temperature - so we no longer need to pay attention to the man behind the curtain. The fact is that the vapor pressure of these fuels (at those temperatures) would not allow them to ignite in the combustion chamber no matter how much water was present, (or absent,) so it's a moot point. If you are flying a piston-powered aircraft in ambient temperatures of -80F, you are not doing it by accident, and you've got bigger problems to worry about than water in your fuel.

Point # 6 - Any fuel might block your fuel filter. Avgas might block your fuel filter. Jet-A might block your fuel filter. E-10 (or AGE85) might block your fuel filter. My urine after a heavy night at the bar would almost certainly block your fuel filter. There is absolutely zero evidence that ethanol-based fuels would be more (or less) likely to block a standard aircraft fuel filter than 100LL. This is pure speculative fishing. I *MIGHT* be able to build a spaceship in my workshop that could reach Mars. The odds are highly against it.

Point #7 - under what conditions? At a temperature of 200C and 10" mercury absolute pressure, Sherwin-Williams housepaint will experience heavy evaporation losses. Will E-10 mogas experience heavier evaporation losses than 100LL at equivalent exposure points? Maybe, and maybe not. Two points here - first is, as in point #2-D above, do your own homework and find out. Second, once you know how it will ACTUALLY react in given real-world circumstances, you need to consider what real-world circumstances you are actually likely to encounter, and what effect that will have on your fuel supply. Again, as in Point #2-D above, I'm not going to tell you because you need to know this stuff if you're going to burn it. Go educate yourself.

To summarize - the Cessna statement quoted at the top of this post (and many others similar to it) are to be taken at face value ONLY. They are generated by 10% fact and mixed with 90% spin to deliver 100% CYA in todays litigious society. Take it as a datapoint, consider the source, consider their motivations, filter the data appropriately, educate yourself, and act intelligently.

I am not advocating one fuel source over another - I am simply advocating using your wet noodle for what it was designed for, rather than a counterweight for your aft end.

THINK - then ACT.

Last edited:
Great post Greg - I also appreciate it, because when the topic of ethanol comes up, there is an awful lot of obfuscation and misdirection based on what folks heard someone else repeat from what they picked up in a hangar discussion. Getting facts in one place is great.

It is problematic to have a document such as the one from Cessna that has a lot of bullet points, many of which are totally or partially incorrect. It's a problem because if ANY of those bullet points are a "show-stopper" if true, then you still have to pay attention. Of course, if parts of the document are wrong, then you have to suspect it all, and look for confirming sources. Such is the case with the issue of Ethanol softening, dissolving, and otherwise destroying rubber components in the fuel system.

I am biased against ethanol use for THIS REASON ONLY. I am afraid that there are lots of pilots who don't take the time to think through this critically, and just follow hangar advice, and can get themselves in trouble for it. I personally am not concerned about water-holding, detonation margins, or vapor lock. they can be dealt with. And, in fact, so can the deteriorating rubber parts - if we only had a good, reliable source of "replace these parts with part numbers "XXXX" from this source, and you'll be good to go" information. Tell me how to build my end-to-end fuel system to be ethanol compatible, and I'd be much happier to pour the stuff in if I needed to. Anecdotally, I have replaced the entire fuel systems in a couple of watercraft since ethanol was introduced to gas, and the resulting "goo" was everywhere. Really ugly, and yes, it clogged fuel screens.

To summarize, Greg, your post was great, and looks accurate based on what I know. I would just point out that if there are ten bullet points that can kill you, it doesn't' make any difference if 9 of them are wrong - so long as one of them is right. that still makes it dangerous.

Paul

i'm sitting here, bored at my desk during lunch break, so i feel the need to add a general thought here (and i post so seldom in this forum anyway... :) )

i'm still sceptic about the use of ethanol but this is more a feeling and not based on experience or deep knowledge.

but i think that probably in the mid-term most of us have to deal with the issue, if we want to or not. the future of avgas is at least questionable and there are just some strong indications that there will be a increasing gap between world wide oil supply and demand on one side and on the other hand a bigger amount of available ethanol in the world due to better production technologies/energy crops.

so if we really have to face the end of avgas someday, then we have to deal with ethanol/butanol in our gas most likley. therefore it's not very helpful just to say "no" to it and we should try to make our systems ethanol proof.

humans did land on the moon, built nuclear weapons and created genome modified animals. so for sure we will find a solution for ethanol in ga-airplanes. (although i know we never found something to cure hair loss :) )

so, thank you guys for this constructive discussion.

Kay

RV-7 SB fuse done!!! :D

Never!

Anecdotally, I have replaced the entire fuel systems in a couple of watercraft since ethanol was introduced to gas, and the resulting "goo" was everywhere. Really ugly, and yes, it clogged fuel screens.

Paul

This "anecdote" from a very respected source is reason enough... I will never have ethanol in any aircraft I fly...

YMMV

Thanks for the post Greg, it was very good.

Paul, what do you think the goop was that you cleaned out? Was it part of a tank, or film and varnish from autofuel? Just curious.

Proof is in the pudding

Boy I like this Airguy guy. He doesn't fear the unknown about fuels because he knows. I think it all boils down to 'the proof is in the pudding'. Has the NTSB ever found a fuel filter clogged by ethanol? How many hours have been flown with ethanol without issue? My aircraft has flown around 750 hours with between 5 and 10 percent ethanol with no issues. I once had an issue of gum as Paul mentioned but I'm pretty sure it was linked to a fuel additive. I've flown almost 300 hours since without the additive and the fuel system is as clean as a whistle. Not one single spec of anything ever found in the fuel filter or sump since then.

If you don't want to run ethanol then please don't but the fear mongering is getting out of hand.

Ethonal Gas in An IO-360

Ok, I'll ask again. Has anyone used ethonal based gas (10%) in an IO-360? If so, which fuel body do you have, and have you experienced any problems tha you migh relate to ethonal usage? Have you made any special changes to your fuel system (replaced rubber components?)?
As you say, "the proof is in the pudding". I would like to try auto gas ( up to 10% ethonal) in my IO-360 equiped RV-7A. It has the "Experimental" Bendix type fuel body. I would like to know if anyone has already done this...

Sid - which engine are your running, carb or FI, did you modify your fuel system in anyway?

I don't think it is fear mongering to express a desire to avoid ethanol, it is simply a statement of choice.

While Greg's post was well written and informative, by virtue of this forum it is as anecdotal as any other and no disrespect intended but I wouldn't consider it "hard data" either. His statements about educating yourself are spot on target..hence the reason I started this thread.

Cessna states they tested E85, Greg finds errors, or rather ambiguities in their results. Who is more correct? Honestly, I have no idea how the testing was conducted nor are we presented with actual data. Nor do I know if what Greg states is true or not. Certainly NTSB accident reports lacking evidence of ethanol as casual factors wouldn't be very good proof ethanol is safe either. I also think it is easy rationalization to assume the industry, FAA, etc.. are more interested in covering their six than reporting accurate results and only we few brave individuals are truly honest.

Personally I would never decide to use or not use a fuel based upon information gathered on this forum exclusively. For me it is simply a great place to start the due diligence effort. I now have a list of questions I hadn't thought of before starting this thread.

I can tell you I filled a coffee can with holes in the bottom sealed with ProSeal with 100% ethanol and let it sit covered for nearly 18 months in the heat of my garage and it never leaked. I'm happy my fuel tanks will be fine with a 10% mix (drain and filler cap o-rings notwithstanding). I don't worry about the alum and SS fuel lines or fittings. What about the fuel level floats and the senders themselves? Fuel selector valve?

My plan is to individually test each component for compatibility over a long period of time. My goal is to be very sure my fuel system and engine will be safe when and if ethanol becomes mandatory sometime in the future. For me the only way to know for sure is to test myself and eliminate the ambiguity or agenda driven result reporting.

For me the only way to know for sure is to test myself and eliminate the ambiguity or agenda driven result reporting.

That is exactly what I'm saying. If you feel comfortable with it then by all means go ahead.

I also understand you are looking for a place to start. There have been some great responses on things to lookout for and I know that is what you are after.

My engine in a O-320 160HP carb. No modifications to the fuel system. I don't have a gascolator, just an inline filter. I probably wouldn't run it in an engine with anything higher than 8.5:1. Nothing to do with ethanol, just an octane margin.

While Greg's post was well written and informative, by virtue of this forum it is as anecdotal as any other and no disrespect intended but I wouldn't consider it "hard data" either. His statements about educating yourself are spot on target..hence the reason I started this thread.

Cessna states they tested E85, Greg finds errors, or rather ambiguities in their results. Who is more correct? Honestly, I have no idea how the testing was conducted nor are we presented with actual data. Nor do I know if what Greg states is true or not. Certainly NTSB accident reports lacking evidence of ethanol as casual factors wouldn't be very good proof ethanol is safe either. I also think it is easy rationalization to assume the industry, FAA, etc.. are more interested in covering their six than reporting accurate results and only we few brave individuals are truly honest.

Perfect. This is exactly what I was trying to get across. You, personally and individually, do not KNOW the validity of either Cessna's statements, nor mine. Until you have personally and individually educated yourself about the issue at hand and have either done the testing yourself or have picked out other testing done that you have faith in, you CAN NOT take anyone's statement at face value. People lie for commercial advantage everyday, and if you don't know the difference, you can't bet your life on it.

All I'm wanting people to do here is stop listening to hype (on BOTH sides) and accepting it as gospel. Learn it, research it, trust it, and act on it. This isn't rocket science - it's a very simple material compatibility chemistry question, but it carries a large penalty if you're wrong and that scares people silly. Our litigious society makes money off of fear, and that is in ample evidence in our industry. The fear-mongering that is presented in the marketplace over this exceedingly simple question is completely out of proportion to the question itself.

Facts are stubborn things - they tend not to change no matter how much someone wants them to. I can guarantee you 100% that over the last few billion years, the reaction properties of natural rubber to ethanol have not changed, nor have the properties of Viton, or Teflon, or any number of other ethanol-tolerant materials on the market that we make fuel components out of today. Advertising campaigns will change weekly, but the chemistry is stubbornly unyielding. Do your homework - talk to the people that are already dealing with the problem successfully - the automobile market comes to mind. They've got it figured out. Look at how they are doing it, what they are using to make it work, and do the math. 500 million cars on the planet are burning E10 and they are not having any problems with it. Do what they do.

A Crazy Idea about Risk.

I think in a nutshell, we are talking about risk here, and the rational acceptance of same to save $$$ by using Ethanol.. Let's say one typically flies 100 hrs a year burning 8 gal/hr.. If there is $1/gal to be saved that = savings of $800/year or so, and in a decade $8000. Sounds good so far, right?

I have no real idea what the risk is, but let's assume it's 1% during that decade, pretty low although given Paul's experience with his boat I suspect higher than that.

You have in your hand a pistol with 100 chambers but only one loaded with a bullet. Would you accept $8000 to spin the cylinder, point it at your head and pull the trigger?

I would not, but YMMV

No, I am not a statistician, but do like numbers.

Nomex suit on, whale away...

I think in a nutshell, we are talking about risk here, and the rational acceptance of same to save $$$ by using Ethanol.. Let's say one typically flies 100 hrs a year burning 8 gal/hr.. If there is $1/gal to be saved that = savings of $800/year or so, and in a decade $8000. Sounds good so far, right?

I have no real idea what the risk is, but let's assume it's 1% during that decade, pretty low although given Paul's experience with his boat I suspect higher than that.

You have in your hand a pistol with 100 chambers but only one loaded with a bullet. Would you accept $8000 to spin the cylinder, point it at your head and pull the trigger?

I would not, but YMMV

No, I am not a statistician, but do like numbers.

Nomex suit on, whale away...

There's some pretty "interesting" assumptions going on with your numbers in this example. I take exception to your 1% risk rate, and to the guaranteed fatal outcome of that risk. Fear-mongering does nothing to help the debate. Go to your room without supper, young man!

Note that I am still not cheerleading ethanol (or 100LL for that matter) - I'm cheerleading hard numbers and hard science versus rumor and fear. I'm not here to play the game - I'm here to referee.

The reason I chose to set my airplane up to be ethanol-tolerant was not strictly based on saving money - though that part certainly caught my attention. It was primarily based on allowing me to continue to fly with a wider range of fuels available to me, as a hedge against the eventual demise of tetraethyl lead and the likely chaos that will ensue with various competing fuels trying to fill the resulting marketplace void. E-10 Mogas is universally available anywhere in the US, and if I know for certain my airplane will eat that with no problems then I can sit back, watch the show, and giggle at the rest of world running around in full-blind panic as 100LL goes away.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Last edited:
There's some pretty "interesting" assumptions going on with your numbers in this example. I take exception to your 1% risk rate, and to the guaranteed fatal outcome of that risk. Fear-mongering does nothing to help the debate. Go to your room without supper, young man!

Note that I am still not cheerleading ethanol (or 100LL for that matter) - I'm cheerleading hard numbers and hard science versus rumor and fear. I'm not here to play the game - I'm here to referee.

If my attempt to quantify risk is "fearmongering", then I plead guilty as charged.

Just trying to point out that the issue is simply about money vs. risk, nothing else.

Without knowing the risk is 1% 5% or zero, to me it's simply not worth the buck a gallon, thasall... YMMV of course.

Interestingly, the marine folks in many states have raised enough ruckus to resurrect non ethanol fuel all over this land. See http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Without knowing the risk is 1% 5% or zero, to me it's simply not worth the buck a gallon, thasall... YMMV of course.

Then you'd better sell your plane, and only fly commercial airlines - more money and less risk.

I see your point of course - and make mine in return - that even you are exchanging some level of risk for some level of reward. I'm sure you are well aware that the accident rate for flying experimental aircraft is signficantly higher than commercial transport, and yet you still fly privately. Unless I miss my guess, it's because you FEEL COMFORTABLE with the level of assumed risk, and your ability to mitigate that risk to some degree, and you make the informed choice to do so. Please do not assume that the same scenario would not apply to others running E10 in their airplanes. They may (of course) be idiots blindly flailing around in the dark, and then again they may just accidently know what they are doing.

Interestingly, the marine folks in many states have raised enough ruckus to resurrect non ethanol fuel all over this land. See http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

That's a valid point, and it's entirely possible we may see this progress further. More power to 'em if they can make it work.

Last edited:
Feeling just a tad arrogant aren't we?

Not so much, no. More like feeling a tad peeved about people using fear and rumor to make others feel like idiots for not following the herd. I have not told anyone they are stupid, are going to die, or shouldn't be doing what they are doing - I have only said that if you're going to carry out ANY activity that involves risk, you should educate yourself about it first.

I've said my piece and I believe I've gotten my point across, I'm done with the soap box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.