Break in line,PLEASE READ!

Nick. Iam building a 9A QB and was working on the brake and fuel lines when I discovered that the flaring tool from parker tools was MARING my lines Seven Eights of a inch from the Flare. I asked a couple of APs about the maring and showed them with a 10X loop. They did NOT like the gouges in the tubing produced by the back edges of the clamping wheels on the tool. I called Parker tools in Ohio about the problem. I said i think a process in manufacturing was Not cleaning up the ruff rear edges of the clamping wheels are not being finished off correctly. I sent four samples to the retailer whom sold me the tool and that was just before Sun-N-fun. I haven't heard from either. I checked with a friend and his Parker flaring tool was bought 2-3 years ago and his TOOL also had the sharp edges on the rear of the clamping wheels grooves. To correct the problem use a small round file and clean up the sharp edges on the rear area of the groove of the clamping wheels. I used my finger nail when I first discovered the problem when the sharp edge shaved off part of my finger nail tip as i slid my finger nail thru the end edge of the groove of the wheel. Not all the edges were ruff. Seems just the smaller grooves had the ruff edge. All the ones we use. Please spread the word. Ron in Oregon

I have seen in the forums that a lot of guys are using flex hoses from Bonanco who also advertises on this site. Are these hoses they make REALLY as good as Aeroquip or Stratiflex? I'm at the stage where I need to order hoses and all this talk of fires has me a bit gun shy! Thanks, Dan

I fly a 1954 Bonanza and only "wish" I could economically add an EFIS like RV builders can.

Too bad our FAA bureacrats are so short-sighted as to prefer owners of certified aircraft to fly less safely than experimental owners. Heavy sigh.

Last edited:
After reading all these post,I decided to take a closer look at the alum. lines I had made for our Rv-10. I'm glad I did. I ended up, replacing all of them. I don't like to admit it but some looked like those in the photos posted earlier. The trick for the Imperial tool I have is using oil on the tapered point that pushed out the flair. I had read about this trick on this forum I do believe. Without oil, I have to clamp down so hard on the tubing in order for the tapered point not to push the tubing out of the holder while forming the flair. With oil, I just have to lightly snug the clamp and it only moved once with all the flairs I had to make. I know we would have had serious problems with the first run of lines. I'm fairly confident now with the new ones. I also lightly sanded out the remaining marks from the clamping .Post like this help prevent others from having serious problems down the road.
Thanks to all
Ron

I also just completed some fuel system revisions to how my flow transducer was setup, mostly because of this thread. Even though my concerns were completely different, not having to do with hard tubing...

Photo's please

I too have hard lines between the gascolator and fuel flow transducer and would like to change to flexible hose. Can someone who has done this post some photo's or a link to some. I don't think that hose can have such a tight bend radius or am I missing something. Photo's would help.

It really pays to look closely...

...at how the certified planes are plumbed.

Yesterday, while helping a friend change the plugs on a Cirrus 20, I noticed that there was not one solid aluminum fuel line, forward of the firewall, as Don at Airflow Performance suggests. All the flex lines were fire-sleeved and had steel ends as well,

Best,

The only aluminum fitting that I have FWF on my fuel line is the one that actually penetrates the FW. It goes via a flex hose to the mechanical pump and I am wondering if I should replace it with a steel fitting? I am sure it won't hurt, only how much of risk it is with this fitting? I am thinking there is hardly any force on it to break it but in case of fire :( I would be possibly screwed.

Wow, man. Just wow.

To walk away from that situation at all, I would put in the "win" column. To save the plane as well, unreal.