Quote:
MGL specifically says don't fly IFR with their unit.

Ranier
Why will you always have this in your manual?

Like most (and all of the lower priced systems), our AHRS units have not been submitted for FAA certification.

We are putting this in the manuals (and a lot more - like "why") because we would like you to be aware of the physical limitations of an AHRS system - little to nothing is generally known about this and I often speak to pilots, even those that fly regular glass in airliners that do not have the faintest idea of how their systems work and most importantly under what circumstances they no longer work or can be relied upon.

The most pressing reason - we have lawyers too.

Like flying in general - it's your risk. Don't come knocking at our door if you have been flying aerobatics inside clouds in zero visibility and you crashed because your AHRS finally decided it can't follow what you are doing any longer.

I have a nice little 2.25" alitimeter made by a German company that I bought many years ago, long before we started making instruments. It's a nice little unit and very obviously made for aircraft.
On the back on this unit you will find a bold statement: "Not for use in aircraft". Why do you think the Germans thought this a good idea ?

We are in the same boat...
Even if it costs us sales, the statement will stay.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics