Thanks Lucas,

So the AFS version definitely retains the serial input port like the II VSGV.

I didn't fully understand your answer about connecting a 430W to the AFS AP - are you saying that the software changes you made to integrate with the AFS EFIS render the unit completely incapable of following the 430W ARINC commands, or is it simply degraded from the capability of a II VSGV when connected that way?

This is merely a point of curiosity - I am assuming it will not follow the vertical steering, but the ARINC course steering (with it's smooth course intercepts) is still superior to the Serial overfly tracking and some folks still might find utility in installing an A/B switch.

hi lucas,

you do a good job of extinguishing fires ;-)

and thanks for the explanation.

to me this solution is acceptable (solid track, altitude and vs in the backup mode). still if you have more info coming in on the serial stream, why not use it?
i was under the impression, that even the lateral track mode was gone. sorry if i misread.

and regarding the field updates:
i see why you don't want to (and shouldn't) change anything on the hardware.

sorry if i came across too harsh but some times ranting leads to good things.

rgds, bernie

Last edited:
to me this solution is acceptable (solid track, altitude and vs in the backup mode). still if you have more info coming in on the serial stream, why not use it?
i was under the impression, that even the lateral track mode was gone. sorry if i misread.

You have to manually set the lateral track on the autopilot, it will not get it directly from the 430W. That is my whole beef. I am not sure why it can't get this track directly from the 430W.

Yes, Lucus you have been totally upfront. However, prior to my upgrade it was mentioned to me by AFS, and also hinted by you in a phone conversation, that this current lack of capability was likely software related and something that would be looked at. Next, I heard from you in a post in the TT forum that this was by design. That is what ircked me. Anyway, I appreciate your participation in this forum and I look forward to hearing back about what your engineers have to say with regards to this.

Again, it appears some people are posting potentially incorrect information here.

My understanding is that the AFS version still has an auxiliary GPS input, so if this is hooked directly to the GPS and the EFIS fails the AP will still have direct input from the GPS (Serial, lateral guidance only).

My point is, before you all go boo-hooing about what you think you don't have, why not find out the facts?

:cool:

Hmm.. Well I have flown with both the IIVGSV and the AFS pilot in my plane. I can tell you it is a fact that unlike the IIVGSV, the AFS when hooked directly (via a source select switch) to the 430W and the EFIS fails, the A/P only allows you to manually enter ground track and climb/descent rate. It does not automatically pick this information up directly from the 430W like the IIVGSV does.

Hmm.. Well I have flown with both the IIVGSV and the AFS pilot in my plane. I can tell you it is a fact that unlike the IIVGSV, the AFS when hooked directly (via a source select switch) to the 430W and the EFIS fails, the A/P only allows you to manually enter ground track and climb/descent rate. It does not automatically pick this information up directly from the 430W like the IIVGSV does.

Sorry to hear that, and re-reading my own words I apologize if it came off harsh. I have my second II VSGV, this one hooked to a GNS 480, and agree with you that I would (in your shoes) certainly desire that feature - but considering how much extra functionality your unit gives for the money and that EFIS failures are rather uncommon I don't think that that would even cause me a moment's hesitation. I've tested the serial backup mode to simulate an emergency (turning off the primary GPS; my serial line is connected to an x86 hand held) and flown whole approaches using just the course knob and vertical speed - it is delightfully easy, and in my mind totally satisfactory as "backup mode."

I don't think Lucas specifically addressed whether it would follow GPS flight plan course from the Serial interface. If that DOES work, then in the event you lose EFIS engaging course following direct from the GPS is, like in the VSGV, as simple as pushing the MODE button. You can certainly test whether that works, but it would require you to a) have the serial line hooked to the 430; b) have a flight plan active in the GPS; c) turn off or otherwise interrupt the ARINC data from the EFIS (recommend VFR if turning off your EFIS... ;) ). Or, wait until Lucas confirms whether that feature still works or not in the AFS AP.

:D

Thanks Lucas,

So the AFS version definitely retains the serial input port like the II VSGV.

I didn't fully understand your answer about connecting a 430W to the AFS AP - are you saying that the software changes you made to integrate with the AFS EFIS render the unit completely incapable of following the 430W ARINC commands, or is it simply degraded from the capability of a II VSGV when connected that way?

This is merely a point of curiosity - I am assuming it will not follow the vertical steering, but the ARINC course steering (with it's smooth course intercepts) is still superior to the Serial overfly tracking and some folks still might find utility in installing an A/B switch.

Yes, all of our lateral AP units have serial inputs.

It will still follow the steering commands over ARINC from the 430, BUT it requires a simultaneous vertical and lateral NON-FLAGGED steering signal. The 430 only outputs a non-flagged vertical signal in approach mode. Therefore, only in approach mode will the AFS Pilot go into EFIS mode when connected directly to the 430.

With just the serial connected and while en route, you will have the track mode only. Meaning, you must manually make course changes using the knob on the autopilot. This is in there as a backup mode as the unit is designed to be used in conjunction with the AFS EFIS system.

Making the AP automatically go into a Nav mode when NMEA sentence RMB is present/non-void is not something we want to do. Making a button change functions when that sentence is present/non-void is not really something we want to do either as that creates button layering. I will post back next week with info on the discussions I have with others here. Thanks everyone!

Well I have flown with both the IIVGSV and the AFS pilot in both my planes, over 250 hours in the last year and as long as you are in approach mode it will follow the 430W without the EFIS. It has been my experience flying IFR in the RV-10 that you are almost always vectored until you are cleared for the approach, in this case it will work without the EFIS.

You need to be realistic on what you are really going to do if you have an EFIS failure and are IFR. Are you really going to enter a flight plan and have the AP follow it? Or are you going to be vectored by ATC? I suspect that switching the AP from Track to GPSS and back to Track and then GPSS and GPSV mode during an actual IFR EFIS failure is not a good emergency plan.

I talk to a lot of customers that are flying both the VSGV and the AFS pilot and the ones that are using the AFS pilot are a lot less confused by it.

With the AFS Pilot
If you want the AP to follow the EFIS push the ?EFIS? button on the AP, if you want it stand alone press the ?AP? button.

With the VSGV
Push the ?Mode? button for lateral GPSS, then push the ?ALT? button until you get GPSV displayed for vertical. If the 430W is not in approach mode it will not go to GPSV. It sounds simple enough, but judging by the support calls it is confusing to a lot of people.

If you want the AP to follow the 430W when not in approach mode without the EFIS and you don?t mind pressing more buttons get the VSGV.

If you want a better user interface get the AFS Pilot. The AFS Pilot also has the capability to be turned On/Off and monitored by the EFIS, this will be implemented in a future EFIS software release.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

DigiFlight Blue Screen Picture?

Hi All,

Can anyone post a picture of the new DigiFlight blue screen with white lettering? Trutrak's website still shows the old green screen.

Thank You,

Bill Palmer :)