John:

**Assuming pre-ignition is the cause of the piston damage in that photo, how does one benefit from that knowledge?**

It's always good to know the truth--even if it's too late. (see below)

**If you just blow-torched a piston and rings due to aggressive leaning, how does semantics make it any different?**

None if you don't know what just happened and had no clue how to stop it. If, in fact, you do know what happened, you have a better chance of avoiding it in the future. For example, the assumption that the direct cause of that was aggressive leaning is very, very, unlikely. So unlikely that I dismiss it as a probable cause. Having the understanding to appreciate that reality is a result of precisie education on the topic based on the data rather than listening to pontificated "common knowledge" from the airport know-it-all or a mechanic who has never flown behind an engine monitor.

**In your estimation, what caused that kind of damage? How can it be avoided?**

That is likely pre-ignition damage. Based on hard data, we have ZERO incidenses of detonation causing that, even though the "common knowledge" will quite freguently erroneously label that as detonation damage.

The common causes of pre-ignition are (in order of frequency):

1) a cracked spark plug ceramic. (very common)
2) a helicoil tang sticking into the combustion chamber. (not too common)
3) a glowing carbon deposit. (so rare as to be essentially undocumented, but considered by many as the most common cause!) Go figure?

It can be avoided by doing inflight mag checks routinely to find weak plugs before they fail (I do in-flight mag checks on every flight right before the let-down), and by checking the cylinders for helicoil tang over extensions at the time of installation, and being able to identify the event on an engine monitor and knowing what to do to stop the event. We have a growing file of pilots who have done just that and saved their engines by knowing how to identify the problem within secoinds and act proactively to stop the event.

THAT is why properly "understanding" these phenomena is better than not understanding them.

It's kinda funny when one realizes that there are three types of pilots:
Those who make things happen; those who watch things happen; and those who wonder what happened.

It is up to each as to which group they wish to populate. ;)

Being in the first group requires two things. Being willing to study and think and, above all, relying on the data rather than someone's opinion--including mine. NEVER believe me; believe the data.

Walter

Detonation and Pre-Ignition

Good post, Walter. I agree with most of that. I just can see how anybody can be sure that pre-ignition doesn't lead to detonation. Of course, this would compromise my premise of agressive leaning (actually it was the opinion of the mechanic working on the DC-3). Now it doesn't make any sense to me that a professional, type-rate crew would climb in auto-lean, but it could have been an oversight after an intermediate leveloff.

To further muddy the water, I am attaching a link to the Hastings Piston Rings
website. Take a look at their photo of a detonated piston and tell me what you think.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service Tips/detonation_and_preignition.htm

John

John:

The "Autolean" mixture setting on a DC-3 is BEST POWER--80dF ROP! It is not lean of Peak. Using that not-rich-enough mixture during a hot climb at METO power, with an RPM reduction will eat up all of the detonation margin. It will likely detonate.

The pictures at the link you posted are consistent with pre-ignition events.

Walter

DC-3 cylinder failure

Walter,
Wasn't suggesting he was LOP. Just too lean for climb power. You did say detonation was most likely 40 ROP didn't you?

John

Walter,

I have no interest in the debate regarding LOP or whatever other flying-insect doody these guys wanna pick out of the pepper, but I want to thank you for your original post that I found very informative. As a lifelong gearhead I was always a little confused about the difference between detonation and preignition. I feel like I've got it all straight now, and I figure that was the intent of your post. Thanks Walter.

Last edited:
"You did say detonation was most likely 40 ROP didn't you?"

The curve for CHT is quite flat in the 40 to 80d ROP area.

Take a look at the graph at www.gami.com, click on "Future Series" and scroll down to the graph.

What you see is that in that area generally around "best power" the CHTs stay the same (hot) for a while, and slight changes in mixture make little difference. That is, it may be true that 40ROP produces the hottest CHTs, but it is not much better at 80ROP.

Conversely, as you see on the graph, when running LOP, a slight change in mixture results in larger change in CHT (it gets cooler).

If you don't trust data from GAMI, his graph, in various forms, has been printed and published by practically every engine maker for more than 50 years. P&W, CW, TCM, Lycoming, Briggs & Stratton, and anyone else making a gasoline-fed, piston engine understands that this is the same for them all.

Because the radial engines flew LOP so nicely (great fuel/air ratios), this was common knowledge when those were the standard engines. With the adoption of flat engines, most of them would not run LOP smoothly, due to improper F/A ratios, so people forgot how to run LOP, and engine and airframe makers told pilots to not run LOP -- they didn't want their products to run rough. They also sold planes on the basis of speed, so they recommended flying at "best power" and let the pilot/owner handle the aftermath.

Once a way was found to get flat engines to run smoothly LOP, it was necessary to re-discover the old techniques.

All this "new" LOP stuff is more than 50 years old. Millions of hours were flown this way. We simply had a generation of pilots who missed out on the knowledge.

Walter's Detonation Index Formula

Detonation-Index.jpg
This is from Walter; I am just the messenger.
h

Thanks for posting that. It's for those who had asked early in this thread about how that was calculated. That is the equation for calculating the knock index of any given condition and is at the basis of the computer algorythms that are used in the detonation research I have been party to.

I'm waaay dumb about math and trying to explain this equation gives me a very nasty headache. Puh-lease don't ask. <VBG>

So, there it is.

Walter