And while you are at it...

A cheap and easy trick is to remove the fin casting "bumps" that are present in some of the fin design. I learned this trick from an old IA/A&P friend when building a simple O-235. Just be careful not to remove anything other than the rough casting as the illustration shows. It certainly helps reduce turbulent airflow as air passes between the fins.(And improves cooling along the way).

142ht9t.png

A cheap and easy trick is to remove the fin casting "bumps" that are present in some of the fin design. I learned this trick from an old IA/A&P friend when building a simple O-235. Just be careful not to remove anything other than the rough casting as the illustration shows. It certainly helps reduce turbulent airflow as air passes between the fins.(And improves cooling along the way).

If you look at the machined side of your #1 cylinder fins, you can see these casting "bumps" -

Cylinder-fin-flash_%28Small%29.jpg

On the opposite side of the cylinder with deeper fins, they can reduce the airflow between the fins.

A needle file in a drill works well for removal.

It certainly helps reduce turbulent airflow as air passes between the fins.
(And improves cooling along the way).

Funny you should mention that.

Can't go wrong removing casting flash that seems to block airflow. However, turbulent flow
is generally considered to be highly desirable in the case of a heat exchanger. The goal is to thin
the boundary layer (an insulator) and thus increase heat transfer, allowing the use of less mass to
carry away the same quantity of heat.

Consider the design of a cooling system for an airplane with a wide speed range...you know, total
performance, where the designer tries to makes intelligent trade-offs so no part of the operating
range is crippled. One might select a large, external diffusion, low Vi/Vo inlet, and couple it with
variable exit area.

In low velocity, high power flight like WOT climb, the slow inlet wouldn't be as sensitive to high AOA,
and thus maintain good upper cowl static pressure. With the outlet wide open, the lower cowl pressure
would be low, meaning a large pressure delta exists across the cooling fins. That increases velocity
between the fins, pushing the Reynolds number toward turbulent flow and thus increasing heat transfer.
Lots of mass, high heat transfer...good recipe for cooling at WOT. Sure, high mass, turbulent flow,
and slow exit velocity drives up cooling drag, but in this flight regime drag isn't a great concern.

Cooling demand is proportional to power. In cruise, we might need only 65% as much cooling as we needed
at WOT down low. So, we close the outlet, which does three things. First, the mass flow is reduced; air
that can't enter the inlet streamlines itself around the nose, hopefully without separation. Second, lower
cowl pressure is increased, slowing flow through the fins, which transitions toward laminar; heat transfer is
reduced, as is momentum loss due to drag. Third, exit velocity is increased; no surprise, given smaller area
and increased lower cowl pressure.

Alas, such a cowl design might suffer some external inlet separation in level flight at top speed. It might be
kinda blunt-nosed. Maybe it would only exceed VNE by 3 or 4 knots in level flight, autopilot on, despite
having enough motor (and cooling) to do a steady 1800 FPM two-up on the sort of 80F afternoon we had
here yesterday. Such is the nature of compromise. It spends most of its time at cruise power, and climbs
to some altitude for every flight; those seemed like the best conditions to maximize, as compared to a top
speed run made five or six times a year.

Are you starting to see why it really is all about the exit?

Last edited:
In cruise, we might need only 65% as much cooling as we needed at WOT down low. So, we close the outlet...

No disagreement with this erudite post. I would add the reminder of the variability of air density that is inversely proportionate to altitude.

I previous owned an Ez. The canard community is forever plagued with cooling issues. 90% of the efforts to resolve the issue have been on the intake side or baffling with varying degrees of success. The few that work on the exit side seem to more routinely achieve success much earlier in the trial-and-error process.

Tyson

I believe that a properly built Vans plenum system will work just as well as the the other plenum systems. I think that the perceived speed increase is directly proportionate to the added cost factor.
HA!! Definitely a consideration when evaluating the overall value of the various products.

But Dan H and Vetterman are the only ones capturing the best value on speed/cooling by regulating the outlet stream based upon my casual observations here. Simply throwing a plenum type cowling at an airplane doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. Dan, I need to find out where I can nominate you for an honorary mechanical engineering degree.

Last edited:
But wouldn't these be cool (arh) on those round inlets?
2u74ocx.jpg

I realize Mark is kidding, but for the benefit of those who might miss the joke, the technical answer is no.

Cooling Drag = Mass x Loss of Momentum

Closing an intake louver would reduce mass (good), but it would also slow the exit velocity (bad).

...<SNIP>... Dan, I need to find out where I can nominate you for an honorary mechanical engineering degree.

I would second the nomination. I have a BSME and an MSME with emphasis on Fluid Mechanics and I'm constantly amazed at Dan's understanding and application of air flow and pressure losses as they relate to our little airplanes. Oh, and I didn't mention his understanding of vibrations, rotating machinery, balancing, moments of inertia, and such stuff as that.

I keep wondering if he's not a retired college professor who has taken on a new identity...sorta like Clark Kent!

H....Simply throwing a plenum type cowling at an airplane doesn't necessarily guarantee anything....

A plenum only does three things. It's primary purpose is to seal the top of the engine. Its secondary purpose is to provide good airflow into the volume so that it doesn't stall.

We'd also like it to give evenly distributed air pressure across the engine but for that its volume must be reasonably large. Since we usually can't achieve the large volume, it seems that some internal flow control, controlling the flow across the cylinders, might help in those cases where the cylinders have uneven cooling.

Dave

What I think Dan wants to say is that it's all about the cowl exit, not about the inlets. More efficient cooling allows for a smaller exit which reduces mass airflow and cowling cross- sectional area and skin friction. The inlet size has minor effects on any of these, although improperly designed internal recovery inlets can make things worse.

Hi Dan, Vlittle, got a chance recently to experiment slightly with exit Stadegy. Flew a early B-35 Bonanza for the first time,positive rate, gear up VX, VY and wow 410 CHT.... I asked the owner he replied yeah that's normal early Bonanzas do this, ok, well not a great answer, so I started looking at it compared to a S-35 I occasionally fly (more HP lower CHT, better cooling)..

2 things immediately stand out,,, the S has a little bit different exit and cowl flap but most notable is the addition of Gill Doors that early Bonanza's don't have. We won't even address the inlet and baffling, we all know what that looks like..

This is only a 60 year old problem and with some research I find that D Shannon offers a Louvered Door that repeats what Beech did later. So a simple mod for a single flight was made to this B model, I think the S model Gill doors ended up on the B model, can't say for sure but I can say it will drop the CHT 25 + degrees.

Here's the link to D Sannon...
http://d-shannon-aviation.com/?q=louvered-gill-doors

In your opinion what is happening by the addition of the Gill Door?

Thanks