This has been hashed out here multiple times. Coms, VHF navs, etc. Don't need to be TSO'd. GPS does because of one sentence in the reg.

Do you want to be "IFR" or be able to file and fly an IFR flight plan? To be truly legal everything needed for true IFR flight needs to be certified equipment. Radios, indicators and antennas, installed per the manufactures specs for IFR certification. This does not mean everyone does this, even many certified planes don't conform to the regs.

IMO no it doesn't because IIRC there's no Type Certificate or STC for an approved installation to conform to. As Aerhed stated, GPS is different, but for the the other things like a transponder, most folks go with the certified offerings because although the individual boxes don't have to have a TSO you have to be able to show compliance with the TSO criteria which is beyond the means of most builders. It's just plain easier to buy the certified box.

Last edited:
The DYNON EFIS calculates the values I highlighted based on it's own sensors or inputs from multiple sources (Marker Beacon and/or DME) not just from the SL30. The image shows ALL of the EFIS's display capabilities from all sources.

BTW, the link you provided ( DYNON Skyview HSI ) specifically states it "supports the Garmin SL30 NAV/COM and many GPS units that use the NMEA-0183 or aviation data formats" so that answers my question. You don't need the ARINC-429 module to display all the SL30 information.

:cool:

You are absolutely correct. Don's post #43 seemed to suggest that he misunderstood what data the SL30 can provide.

The SL30 does not even have an ARINC-429 interface so you can't interface it with ARINC-429 even if you wanted to. The SL30 can do everything it can do over the RS232 serial link. See post #19...

Last edited:
You are correct, I did not word that well at all in #43. what I said was NOT what I meant. Thanks for catching that.
You are absolutely correct. Don's post #43 seemed to suggest that he misunderstood what data the SL30 can provide.

The SL30 does not even have an ARINC-429 interface so you can't interface it with ARINC-429 even if you wanted to. The SL30 can do everything it can do over the RS232 serial link. See post #19...

IMHO this makes the Skyview/SL30 a sweet combination for most IFR flights and training.

:cool:

You are correct and that is why they are so valuable on the used market. Most that have them will never part with them...

It kinda shocked me that Garmin did not add the dual "Monitor" feature to the NAV side of the new GNC series radios. This was a big part of what made the SL30 so famous!