Bwing96

Would like to get my instrument rating and have done searches and read so much on here until I'm really confused now about what to add or not add. Not wanting to break the bank, get a second job or second mortgage, just wanting enough to get my rating but yet be able to upgrade later on.

Not planning on doing any hard ifr and I understand all the dicussions about that. Would like to get my rating then add A/P and GPS. I know someone here has already done this on the cheap. Thought about selling this one but really like my plane and haven't seen another t/w model with a good panel that isn't $$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm not a builder nor do I know anything about wiring either.

TrinityPics011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Would like to get my instrument rating and have done searches and read so much on here until I'm really confused now about what to add or not add. Not wanting to break the bank, get a second job or second mortgage, just wanting enough to get my rating but yet be able to upgrade later on.

Not planning on doing any hard ifr and I understand all the dicussions about that. Would like to get my rating then add A/P and GPS. I know someone here has already done this on the cheap. Thought about selling this one but really like my plane and haven't seen another t/w model with a good panel that isn't $$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm not a builder nor do I know anything about wiring either.

I commend you for wanting to get your IFR rating. I'm a firm believer that it helps to makes us better pilots even if we don't fly IFR.

Your opportunity is that you have to fly three different approaches. I can't tell if you have a Nav radio or not, but if you do, it doesn't appear like you have a CDI.

A basic Nav radio with a CDI will allow you fly an ILS or VOR approach, although some VOR approaches,you'll feel like a one arm wallpaper hanger if you only have one VOR. Then you have to figure out what else you need for a third approach.

NDBs are being discontinued so, it doesn't make sense to install one.

Your Garmin GPS can't be used for IFR.

A Garmin GNS 430W is probably the least expensive way to get a Nav radio and IFR certified GPS. Although, I would recommend a Garmin GTN650. It's more money, but it's going to have a longer useful life and higher resale value compared to the 430w.

You are also going. To have to re-arrange your panel to fit a CDI. Since you state that you are going to need some help, I would recommend giving SteinAir or Aerotronics a call for assistance.

You will also need a heated pitot, if you don't have one already. You don't want to be flying in clouds this time of year without one.

I don't know your definition of cheap, but I suspect $15-$20k isn't it. Like I said, Stein or Jed at SteinAir or Jason at Aerotronics can give you a better estimate.

Having just done this....
(Edit) and thinking about it a little more....
You will need a AI, DME, and a CDI. The cheapest way to do this would be an EFIS and a GNS 430W or GNS480.
Sorry. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is what it is.

Yeah, you could go with an older and cheaper certified GPS, but it won't talk with the EFIS as easily and you will need to add announciator a to make it legal. Flight instructors and examiners like legal. :)

------ old response below-----

You have an easy-ish, cheap-ish way and the more expensive but better way.

You will need some form of attitude referance. You could add a steam artificial horizon, change your kx125 for a kx155, and add a HSI. This would be the minimal work way but maybe not the cheapest.

You could redo your panel with a used EFIS and do the same change as above with the NAV/COM. Might be cheaper than the steam AI.

Or you could get a whole new wiz bang EFIS and add a certified GPS. Mucho bucks.

I know you used to be able to do your IFR training without a precision approach capability, but many want you to demonstrate that now.

If it were me (with this setup), I would change to an EFIS with engine monitor, keep the KX125, add a CDI (like the KI-202, KI-206, or KNI-520), and find an instructor that will do it all non-precision.

Now, actually flying in IMC may call for a different response. :)

In my situation, I had an EFIS already and just added a GNS-480.

Last edited:
I commend you for wanting to proceed with your training and obtain and instrument rating.
It appears that it would be very difficult and maybe impossible with the space you have available on your panel, to add an AI and a CDI. If you could, the least expensive way to accomplish your goal would be to add an electric AI, purchase a used certified GPS, does not have to be a 430, could be kln94 etc. add a CDI that is switchable between the radio and the GPS, such as a KX209A. You will not need a GPS annunciator if the GPS is mounted correctly. Talk to your local avionics shop and see if the have any used equipment for sale and what they would charge to upgrade your panel. IMHO, this is the cheapest way, not necessarily the best, and could maybe be accomplished for $5-10K depending on the radio.
Alternatively, purchase an EFIS from Garmin/Dynon/GRT/AFS and a 430 or 650. Both these radios give you a certified GPS and a Nav/Comm in one box. This of course would require a new panel layout and a significant amount of wiring. You would be into the panel for well over $10K

Edit: Just realized you also need a DG, which now suggests an vacuum system and using a vacuum AI.

Last edited:
Upgrade

Ok heres a cheap way to do this move the light and three little toggles under airspeed to another place in the panel and locate the turn and bank there now you have hole for AI in the right place . All you need to be IFR legal is a VOR and a Localizer Indicators and some older radios have LED indicators built in so no Instrument hole would be needed also a GPS or heated airspeed is not required for EXP this is cheap way not the best.
Bob

Is a vacuum system required or can you get AI and DG out of a EFIS?

There is no requirement to have a "vacuum system" or even a whiskey compass. Any of the EFISes out there will work.

The quickest way for the OP to go would be to install a Dynon D10A, Dynon heated pitot tube, Dynon autopilot, and a G430w. Oh and maybe an audio panel. Toss in a Dynon D1 and keep the x96 for backups and he is good to go.

I'm not so sure a heated pitot is even required, even though it is a good idea.

Last edited:
Some bad info here.
You need to do three different approaches. An ILS, VOR, and localizer will suffice, so a typical nav com is all you need for navigation, if it includes a localizer and glide slope. NO GPS is required.
You do need an attitude indicator (AI), heading indicator (DG), and a CDI for the nav radio. To have some redundancy the AI and DG should be air or vacuum powered. Now, I don't see how to fit three more 3" gauges into your panel as is. Maybe you can. So the alternative as I see it is to make room by tearing out most of what you have, and replace it with an EFIS that will display all your engine instruments, flight intruments, and CDI. Then you'll need another, battery powered EFIS, as a backup. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. Maybe you can add a vacuum pump and find room for those extra 3 instruments. Maybe move the portable gps, put the tach up there, ...?

Edit: there are some used, vacuum driven HSI's around (combination DG and CDI). That would reduce the number of extra 3" holes to two.

Last edited:
My opinion.

Your life depends on it.

Build it like it does.

Do not go cheap.

Have redundancy in units and power to them.

So to explain my position on the above, if you have a GNS 430W and it dies, you lose the VOR/ILS and the GPS all in one box, as well as the radio. If the power fails to that you lose it and anything else.

No two EFIS systems shall share a common circuit breaker in anything I fly IFR. So have redundent power and the ability to select it. Also have yourself an ability to run for 90 minutes after an alternator dies. Why 90? because after a while it will still not be 90, and load shedding can only go so far.

Imagine being on an ILS in IMC and it all goes blank. :eek:

And my other pet hate, there is only VFR and IFR. Period. There s no rule set in the FAR's called "light IFR". There may be better weather some days than others but do not get caught up in the concept that I am designing only for light IFR duty.

Flame suit on and tested! :D

warning thread drift

I agree if you are building an IFR panel it should be "FAR IFR" capable. However, I think people that discuss "light IFR" are usually referring to their own personal minimums. IMHO as a "light IFR" pilot, I think personal minimums are a good idea.

Last edited:
IMHO; do it right from the beginning or don't do it at all. Your life WILL eventually depend on it unless it is just for training and you will never do actual IMC with your RV. You have think about two critical requirements.

1 - Keeping the airplane airborne. (AVIATE)
2 - Safely getting to where you can land. (NAVIGATE)

With that in mind, probably the least expensive (not cheap) route will be something along the lines of a good EFIS and a good NAV/COM radio with redundancy for both.

For the AVIATE requirement I went with a DYNON Skyview with dual ADAHRS and a DYNON D6 as backup. For the NAVIGATE requirement I went with a Garmin 430W and a VAL INS 429 as backup. Everything else is just icing on the cake since you can add them later.

76-TheNewInstrumentPanel_zps4a8a81ff.jpg

My 2 cents.
:cool:

Last edited:
Since we have the attention of those who know all about this stuff, I have a similar question.
I have a Skyview, an SL30 nav/com, Dynon D1, Sportys SP400 handheld (the one with glideslope and CDI) as well as an ICOM handheld with CDI and an IPAD. I have no intention of actually acquiring an IFR rating or ever intentionally flying in IFR conditions. For personal security feelings, I would however like to learn to fly IFR and have the capability, ok sounds silly to some, but that is my goal.
What is my panel lacking to do some serious IFR training?

Since we have the attention of those who know all about this stuff, I have a similar question.
I have a Skyview, an SL30 nav/com, Dynon D1, Sportys SP400 handheld (the one with glideslope and CDI) as well as an ICOM handheld with CDI and an IPAD. I have no intention of actually acquiring an IFR rating or ever intentionally flying in IFR conditions. For personal security feelings, I would however like to learn to fly IFR and have the capability, ok sounds silly to some, but that is my goal.

How do you display the navigation information from your SL30? If you have it displayed on it's own CDI or on the SKYVIEW via the ARINC-429 then you have everything you need for training.

Your training will be in VMC conditions but with you on some kind of visibility limiting device (hood). You probably won't be flying in any IMC if you are just training without going for the rating. IMHO you are doing a great thing in getting IFR training even though you are not planning to fly IFR.

Go for it.

I'm right in the middle of getting my IR right now (working on DME arcs) so I'll give you my $.02. First you need to separate the legal equipment minimums (ie 91.205) from what will allow practical use of the system and meet your personal requirements. For example you technically don't need a transponder to fly IFR, but without one your ability to operate in the system will be severely limited.

So beyond the flight instruments required for attitude flight, I equipped my own plane with as much equipment as possible to reduce my workload--dual NAV/COMs, IFR approved WAAS GPS, and Autopilot.

Sure you can fly with less (basic analog 6-pack and a single VOR with GS would be my personal minimum), but the workload is exponential.

And truth in lending, I've been flying behind a Garmin G-1000 during my training.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, my skyview display is as follows, CDI is both on the SL30 and on the Skyview.
14mfj9y.jpg
[/IMG]
How do you display the navigation information from your SL30? If you have it displayed on it's own CDI or on the SKYVIEW via the ARINC-429 then you have everything you need for training.

Your training will be in VMC conditions but with you on some kind of visibility limiting device (hood). You probably won't be flying in any IMC if you are just training without going for the rating. IMHO you are doing a great thing in getting IFR training even though you are not planning to fly IFR.

Go for it.

Don I'm not sure you get all that info with just the serial connection you have. Might need to hook up thr ARINC 429 as well. Also what about marker beacon? How are you doing that? I'm guessing you are planning on using the sky view for dme.

You may be correct Ted, I am relying on information from Garmin and Dynon, but since it is not all hooked up and flying, I may find some faults. Another source indicated I did not need a marker beacon. Give me a break, I don't even know what lots of this stuff even does yet!

Don I'm not sure you get all that info with just the serial connection you have. Might need to hook up thr ARINC 429 as well. Also what about marker beacon? How are you doing that? I'm guessing you are planning on using the sky view for dme.

The SL30 is a magical box. It has the ability to output all of its data via the RS232 serial port negating the need for old school analog interfaces or expensive ARINC429. (It does not have an ARINC429 interface)

Last edited:
You may be correct Ted, I am relying on information from Garmin and Dynon, but since it is not all hooked up and flying, I may find some faults. Another source indicated I did not need a marker beacon. Give me a break, I don't even know what lots of this stuff even does yet!

Marker beacons are being removed from approach plates at a fast pace. I would not bother.

For Don:

You're all set for training in VFR, under the hood. I do not know enough about the D1 as a backup to say whether or not I'd fly with you in IMC, but if it works as a good battery powered (independent battery, I mean) efis and your handhelds and/or Dynon gps (?) can serve as emergency nav's, you're good to go into actual under controlled conditions. You have sufficient equipment aboard to take the IFR practical test in your airplane, if you decide to do that.
The SL-30 is a great box (imho still better than the new Garmins) because you can tune a second VOR (and see the radial) while also using the active nav frequency as usual. You will be limited to ILS's where the final fix is defined by a VOR cross fix, not an NDB or marker beacon; but as already mentioned the FAA is decommissioning these things pretty fast. To fly an ILS with the "outer marker" actually just a VOR cross fix, you dial the localizer into the active nav frequency box; put the cross fix into the standby frequency box; push and hold briefly the nav button, and "S" (standby) will turn to "M" (monitor), and the to or from (you choose, I'd choose from) bearing or radial to the cross fix will appear. (On my GRT the second nav also appears as an RMI bearing pointer on the HSI). Fly the localizer/GS as usual, just keep an eye on the cross fix bearing until it says what the chart says it should be, and you know you're at the fix. Easier done than I just said. As others said, the SL-30 outputs everything on an RS232 line, no ARINC needed. I do assume you have a transponder. ATC won't be happy dealing with you if you don't, especially for multiple practice approaches.

Thanks Bob, that was very rewarding reading! Gives me new pride in my SL 30.
Yes, I do have the full ADSB in and out and the Mode S transponder as well.

Last edited:
You will be limited to ILS's where the final fix is defined by a VOR cross fix, not an NDB or marker beacon

He also be able to fly any ILS that defines the Final Approach Fix (FAF) as an altitude on the Glide slope, identified as an underlined altitude with a lightning bolt symbol as depicted in the profile view of the approach. Using a geo-referenced fix to define the FAF, such as an intersection, DME , or GPS waypoint seems to be more typical of a localizer approach.

Of course, with an IFR approved GPS, you can use that in lieu of a VOR or NDB to identify any of the fixes.

He also be able to fly any ILS that defines the Final Approach Fix (FAF) as an altitude on the Glide slope, identified as an underlined altitude with a lightning bolt symbol as depicted in the profile view of the approach. Using a geo-referenced fix to define the FAF, such as an intersection, DME , or GPS waypoint seems to be more typical of a localizer approach.

Of course, with an IFR approved GPS, you can use that in lieu of a VOR or NDB to identify any of the fixes.

Technically your first sentence is not quite correct, or at least incomplete. Many conventional ILS approaches have the technically correct FAF displayed with the lightning bolt symbol (the FAF is GS intercept at the published GS intercept altitude) and in addition have an OM or LOM at a slightly different place, with a published altitude if you are on the glide slope. You are required to ID the OM/LOM fix in such cases, using the equipment you mention above. The point of this is that it is a last-ditch check on your altimeter, to make sure that it's not wildly off. While it is possible to fly the approach using just the localizer and GS it's a good idea not to forego that altimeter check.

Edit: Also, if not in radar contact, the OM/LOM fix is a mandatory reporting point.

Last edited:
Understood. I worded it the way I did because the lightning bolt symbol identifies the FAF on a precision approach and there's now a whole bunch of ILS's with no MB's at all.

Thanks for the help, my skyview display is as follows, CDI is both on the SL30 and on the Skyview.
14mfj9y.jpg
[/IMG]

The image you show doesn't look like a SKYVIEW CDI:

SV-D1000_straight_on_small.jpg

Are you sure you are not looking at the D10A/D100 CDI display instead of the SKYVIEW? I have an ARINC-429 interface so don't know if the SKYVIEW can display all the navigation data if it is received via RS232. That would be a question for someone who has already tried it.

The SL30 is a magical box. It has the ability to output all of its data via the RS232 serial port negating the need for old school analog interfaces or expensive ARINC429. (It does not have an ARINC429 interface)

If the Skyview can display all the data sent by the SL30 via RS232 then you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Opinion: Do NOT install a vacuum system! Nothing but trouble. (If you do, put in an ADF...) Use a Dynon D1 as backup if you want a backup. Shoot, anything like a Garmin 496 has a backup instrument page, GPS derived for loss of pitot/static. SO much better than dealing with a vacuum system and unreliable vacuum pumps.

Lots of Dynon D10-series equipment for sale because of people upgrading to Skyview. Consider that for a budget system.Lots of room on your panel for that by getting rid of the stuff it replaces.

If you end up going with an EIFS, try your best to fly behind different make and model. In my opinion, all major players have great product and offerings but some are more suitable/capable for IFR and they have been doing it far longer then other brand/models.

Bob you and I have the same understanding. I was just trying to point out to Don that I did'nt think he would have all of the proper guidance equipment to do the approaches properly. Of course he is not planning in flying his plane in IMC to my understanding just do practice for proficiency or towards a rating. If it is for a rating then obviously the proper equipment would be better. I also have no idea if the skyview does the annunciation, sequencing, auto-scaling etc. required for the GPS approaches without a waas 429 input from a IFR receiver.

I'm asking cause I too am looking to do some upgrades and this is an interesting subject. Only difference is I will have my head in the clouds and Don was asking about equipment just to learn and practice with.

I also have no idea if the skyview does the annunciation, sequencing, auto-scaling etc. required for the GPS approaches without a waas 429 input from a IFR receiver.

The SKYVIEW is not a navigation source. However it displays navigation data received. The best option, but not the only one, is via an ARINC-429 interface. Then all the requirements are covered.

If you end up going with an EIFS, try your best to fly behind different make and model. In my opinion, all major players have great product and offerings but some are more suitable/capable for IFR and they have been doing it far longer then other brand/models.

I totally agree with this.

Last edited:
Bob you and I have the same understanding. I was just trying to point out to Don that I did'nt think he would have all of the proper guidance equipment to do the approaches properly. Of course he is not planning in flying his plane in IMC to my understanding just do practice for proficiency or towards a rating. If it is for a rating then obviously the proper equipment would be better. I also have no idea if the skyview does the annunciation, sequencing, auto-scaling etc. required for the GPS approaches without a waas 429 input from a IFR receiver.

I'm asking cause I too am looking to do some upgrades and this is an interesting subject. Only difference is I will have my head in the clouds and Don was asking about equipment just to learn and practice with.

To use a gps for navigation under ifr it must meet TSO standards (129, or 146). None of the gps units sold with the popular efis units meet that standard, Skyview included.
What I said was Don does have the minimum nav equipment needed for most VOR, and some localizer and ILS, approaches.

Back to the OP's question

I fly IFR with a Garmin GNC-300, a KX 155, an annunciator switch and a CDI/Glide slope indicator. The GNC 300 remains to my knowledge the least expensive approach certified GPS. I use a Dynon D10 as the attitude indicator.

In addition, my personal mins call for an operating auto pilot. If you augment all of this with a moving map GPS (tablet, I-pad or similar) you have all of the bells and whistles that the high priced EFIS folks have with maybe more redundancy.

All of that can be picked up used, fit into your existing panel for probably under $10,000.00

You didn't mention, but I presume you have a back up to the primary efis.
The 300 is non WAAS and therefore cannot get you the low minimums associated with precision LPV approaches, as well as being saddled with the "supplementary nav" requirements of TSO 129. So it's a definite downgrade from the newer boxes. But for many, I'm sure it is a cost effective solution.

I fly IFR with a Garmin GNC-300, a KX 155, an annunciator switch and a CDI/Glide slope indicator. The GNC 300 remains to my knowledge the least expensive approach certified GPS. I use a Dynon D10 as the attitude indicator.

In addition, my personal mins call for an operating auto pilot. If you augment all of this with a moving map GPS (tablet, I-pad or similar) you have all of the bells and whistles that the high priced EFIS folks have with maybe more redundancy.

All of that can be picked up used, fit into your existing panel for probably under $10,000.00

$10,000 :eek:

You can get a complete 1 display Skyview, ARINC-429, Heated AOA Pitot tube with backup battery and autopilot for around $6,500.

Last edited:

Doesn't the Dynon D10 replace more than just attitude indicator.

Doesn't the Dynon D10 replace more than just attitude indicator.

Yes, the D10A can replace:
Dynon said:
Attitude Indicator
•Airspeed Indicator
•Altimeter
•Vertical Speed Indicator
•Gyro-Stabilized Magnetic Compass
•Turn/Coordinator/Ball
•Turn Rate
•Clock/Timer
•G-Meter
•Voltmeter
•Horizontal Situation Indicator

Plus:
• Angle of Attack (with AOA/Pitot option)
•Altitude Encoder Output
•Density Altitude & True Airspeed Computer (see OAT Option for dynamic readings)
•Checklists
EFIS-Screen-Explanation.jpg

In addition, the D10A and D100 can display a CDI and glideslope on that same screen.

If you replace your entire panel with a D100 EFIS and a D10 EMS then you can split the screen on the D100 and have 2/3rds of it display the flight information and the remaining 1/3rd can display an HSI. The D10 EMS can then display all of your engine parameters. In my first panel, I put the D100 EFIS on the left side, centered in front of the pilot and the D10 EMS centered in front of the co-pilot. Since they are bussed together, you can display the EFIS data on the EMS, if you have another pilot in the right seat. The engine monitor continues to run in the background, no matter what is displayed on the screen. Should something go out of bounds, you will get a tone in your ear and a message on the bottom of the EFIS, so you know to swap over to the engine data.

It really is a great setup!

Last edited:
The illustration is a direct copy from Dynon website, specifically stating that this is what you get to see from an SL 30. At an earlier time on the Dynon forum, Dynon agreed that this is what the SL30 would show on a Skyview.

The image you show doesn't look like a SKYVIEW CDI:

Are you sure you are not looking at the D10A/D100 CDI display instead of the SKYVIEW? I have an ARINC-429 interface so don't know if the SKYVIEW can display all the navigation data if it is received via RS232. That would be a question for someone who has already tried it.

If the Skyview can display all the data sent by the SL30 via RS232 then you should be good to go.

The illustration is a direct copy from Dynon website, specifically stating that this is what you get to see from an SL 30.

I know that was a Skyview image

but the image he was showing, which I alluded to, is not that image but this one:

Feature_HSI_clip_image002_0003.jpg

which is from the D10A/D100, a very different EFIS.

At an earlier time on the Dynon forum, Dynon agreed that this is what the SL30 would show on a Skyview.

Now, I don't personally know if the Skyview can display ALL navigation information received via RS232 like the D10A/D100 can. I do know it can do it via ARINC-429. If it can then no problem.

Last edited:
Looks like it may be easier to sell/swap planes for one that's already IFR.
But it would have to be a 6,7,or9 no A models or tandems.

This is getting confusing, I did not see that image previously, THIS is the one that Dynon says is the output of an SL30:
14mfj9y.jpg
[/IMG]
I know that was a Skyview image

but the image he was showing, which I alluded to, is not that image but this one:

Feature_HSI_clip_image002_0003.jpg

which is from the D10A/D100, a very different EFIS.

Now, I don't personally know if the Skyview can display ALL navigation information received via RS232 like the D10A/D100 can. I do know it can do it via ARINC-429. If it can then no problem.

THIS is the one that Dynon says is the output of an SL30:
14mfj9y.jpg

The SL30 alone cannot output all of those data points.

It does not output the Winds.
It does not output the TAS.
It does not drive the Directional Gyro.
It does not drive the Heading Bug.
(shown on some Dynon D100 HSI screenshots) It does not receive or drive the Marker Beacon Lights.
(shown on some Dynon D100 HSI screenshots) I think I remember that it can pass thru DME info when connected to the proper GPS.

I have never seen anything that stated that the Skyview was any less capable than the D100 when it comes to interfacing with the SL30 and displaying its data.

Here is a pic of the Skyview HSI with descriptions from Dynon:

SkyView_HSI_Detailed_smaller.jpg

Here is a page dedicated to the Skyview HSI...

Last edited:
14mfj9y.jpg

The SL30 alone cannot output all of those data points.

It does not output the Winds.
It does not output the TAS.
It does not drive the Directional Gyro.
It does not drive the Heading Bug.
(shown on some Dynon D100 HSI screenshots) It does not receive or drive the Marker Beacon Lights.
(shown on some Dynon D100 HSI screenshots) I think I remember that it can pass thru DME info when connected to the proper GPS.

I have never seen anything that stated that the Skyview was any less capable than the D100 when it comes to interfacing with the SL30 and displaying its data.

Here is a pic of the Skyview HSI with descriptions from Dynon:

SkyView_HSI_Detailed_smaller.jpg

Here is a page dedicated to the Skyview HSI...

The DYNON EFIS calculates the values I highlighted based on it's own sensors or inputs from multiple sources (Marker Beacon and/or DME) not just from the SL30. The image shows ALL of the EFIS's display capabilities from all sources.

BTW, the link you provided ( DYNON Skyview HSI ) specifically states it "supports the Garmin SL30 NAV/COM and many GPS units that use the NMEA-0183 or aviation data formats" so that answers my question. You don't need the ARINC-429 module to display all the SL30 information.

Last edited:
Do you want to be "IFR" or be able to file and fly an IFR flight plan? To be truly legal everything needed for true IFR flight needs to be certified equipment. Radios, indicators and antennas, installed per the manufactures specs for IFR certification. This does not mean everyone does this, even many certified planes don't conform to the regs.

Do you want to be "IFR" or be able to file and fly an IFR flight plan? To be truly legal everything needed for true IFR flight needs to be certified equipment. Radios, indicators and antennas

Can you please list the FAR(s) that state this?