Seems my original estimate of 2 1/3 turns is pretty close though, right? Have you flown it yet? Please report back about the idle glide and anything else you notice.
Not Bill but I made the adjustment of 2.3 turns and it now measures 2660 static. First landing with the adjustment was interesting…… I approached at my normal speed, reduced the throttle and floated further than in the past. My first thought was I did not pull the throttle back to the stop but it was. Fortunately the first landing was not on a short strip.

Not Bill but I made the adjustment of 2.3 turns and it now measures 2660 static. First landing with the adjustment was interesting…… I approached at my normal speed, reduced the throttle and floated further than in the past. My first thought was I did not pull the throttle back to the stop but it was. Fortunately the first landing was not on a short strip.
That sounds like your plane is now safer!! She’ll actually glide now! I prefer to go to idle on either downwind or base and glide it in.. too many planes that experience an engine failure in the pattern and come up short.

That sounds like your plane is now safer!! She’ll actually glide now! I prefer to go to idle on either downwind or base and glide it in.. too many planes that experience an engine failure in the pattern and come up short.
Like to see the statistics on that one too but I’ve tortured you enough. Not making a runway is all about experience and judgment. A brick can make the runway if you know your brick. Extending a glide just gives you more options, but if you haven’t the experience with it, you might float right past your target. That isn’t safer.
I think it is important that folks recalibrate their thinking and get some experience in a safe environment when they make a configuration change that affects their aircraft’s performance. Re-learn your airplane.

Appreciate all the discussions around this and do believe we are all better for it.

Like to see the statistics on that one too but I’ve tortured you enough. Not making a runway is all about experience and judgment. A brick can make the runway if you know your brick. Extending a glide just gives you more options, but if you haven’t the experience with it, you might float right past your target. That isn’t safer.
I think it is important that folks recalibrate their thinking and get some experience in a safe environment when they make a configuration change that affects their aircraft’s performance. Re-learn your airplane.

Appreciate all the discussions around this and do believe we are all better for it.
For those who say the proper stop gives a better glide range during engine failure, why not just slow plane down till prop stops? I find this to be about 80 kts, then it takes about 95 kts to get it spinning again Which is close to best glide speed.

Last edited:
For those who say the proper stop gives a better glide rang, why not just slow plane down till prop stops? I find this to be about 80 kts, then it takes about 95 kts to get it spinning again.
It’s been my experience with a CS prop, in order to get the prop to stop, you need to go full flaps and just about stall the plane. Your example of 80 knots to stop the prop might work with a wooden fixed pitch, but a heavy aluminum prop that moves to low pitch is very hard to stop. After slowing to about stall speed, then reassuming best glide, I think you negated the benefit of trying to glide further, unless you have tons of altitude.

It’s been my experience with a CS prop, in order to get the prop to stop, you need to go full flaps and just about stall the plane. Your example of 80 knots to stop the prop might work with a wooden fixed pitch, but a heavy aluminum prop that moves to low pitch is very hard to stop. After slowing to about stall speed, then reassuming best glide, I think you negated the benefit of trying to glide further, unless you have tons of altitude.
I guess that all depends on what kind of compression you have And if it’s a catastrophic failure, it will probably stop anyway. I was also assuming g people didn’t want to fiddle with reaching low pitch stops, this would stop them at higher speeds.

A plane with poor glide is easier to spot land, but a plane that glides further can give you more options and (in my opinion) is safer. But that alone isn’t what makes the plane safer. If you lost oil pressure, or the governor on takeoff, and your low pitch stops aren’t preset correctly, the rpm will go to 3000+ and you will have less thrust because a flat blade isn’t biting the air. Correctly set low pitch stops are like having a backup that will maintain control and some bite on the air, like a fixed pitch prop set for climb. That’s what makes the plane safer. I know someone who lost his governor on takeoff, and the plane fell on its face, no thrust, 3300 rpm. He throttled back and got it stopped on the remaining runway, melting out his caliper o-rings in the process.

A plane with poor glide is easier to spot land, but a plane that glides further can give you more options and (in my opinion) is safer. But that alone isn’t what makes the plane safer. If you lost oil pressure, or the governor on takeoff, and your low pitch stops aren’t preset correctly, the rpm will go to 3000+ and you will have less thrust because a flat blade isn’t biting the air. Correctly set low pitch stops are like having a backup that will maintain control and some bite on the air, like a fixed pitch prop set for climb. That’s what makes the plane safer. I know someone who lost his governor on takeoff, and the plane fell on its face, no thrust, 3300 rpm. He throttled back and got it stopped on the remaining runway, melting out his caliper o-rings in the process.
Yes I agree, if there so far of to hit 3000 rpm’s, you have a problem. After my prop overhaul, I can get it to surge to 2740 but my governor is holding it to 2650 which is ok with me. what I don’t know is if the surge would be the limit if governor did fail. Anyone know this answere?

Last edited:

I turned my prop stop down 30 RPM To avoid a 1 second 2730 overspeed. 3/8 of a turn. It seems like it made a big difference in the engine breaking on landing. I must confess it miss it terribly. Thinking about turning it back.

I turned my prop stop down 30 RPM To avoid a 1 second 2730 overspeed. 3/8 of a turn. It seems like it made a big difference in the engine breaking on landing. I must confess it miss it terribly. Thinking about turning it back.
Check your prop manual but on my Hartzell, that’s not an overspeed. You can run continuously at 2730. You can run much higher for limited times.
I get an almost instantaneous hit at 2720, not even a second, but my static is spot on.
So, if your static is close, why mess with it? Also, are you now getting close to 2700 on your initial climb or did that drop off?

Check your prop manual but on my Hartzell, that’s not an overspeed. You can run continuously at 2730. You can run much higher for limited times.
I get an almost instantaneous hit at 2720, not even a second, but my static is spot on.
So, if your static is close, why mess with it? Also, are you now getting close to 2700 on your initial climb or did that drop off?

The prop at 2730 was not even close to overspeed. I just felt guilty about it in general. It stays close to 2700 on climb out.

You are exactly the person that I started this thread for!! Your plane is a prime candidate for making this adjustment. The fact that you are adjusting your governor down to compensate for the surge is why I started this thread. That’s EXACTLY the wrong way to handle it. Go back and reread the procedure, you’ll probably need 2 1/3 turns on the low pitch stop screw under the spinner. Each full revolution would be 200RPM if the governor didn’t catch it, meaning if your governor failed, or you lost oil pressure from a blown line, then your prop will go to 3100+RPM!! Start with 2 1/3 turns on the low pitch stop, reset your governor back up to 2700. You should see 2650 at the very beginning of your takeoff roll, increasing to 2700 by liftoff, where the governor will maintain it for the rest of the flight.

I believe it takes a full revolution on the governor per 30rpm.. I doubt that 1/3 of a turn made much of a difference more than 10 rpm.

If you get ANY flare up that comes back down, then you aren’t adjusted right. You say your static is spot on? What do you get statically? Ideal is 2650-2670. If you are getting even a momentary 2720, then back to 2700, you also could use an adjustment.
Another benefit of a properly adjusted low pitch stops is the ability to see the health of the engine. If you are seeing 2650 at takeoff statically or before any real airspeed shows up, then one day you are only getting 2600, they tells you that you are down on power. If you are “on the governor” statically, then the governor will mask any power differences.

The props stop adjustment factor on this prop is 200 rpm per turn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have been flying for a few years (RV-10 with a Hartzell Prop) and I have an RPM of 2580 at full power. When flying at full power and I adjust the Governor it takes some movement before there is a decrease in RPM - it is not immediate. Because of that I thought it was not Governor limited so I adjusted the low pitch stop by 1/2 of a turn with no change on a ground run. My next step is to adjust the Governor and leave the low pitch stop where it is for the moment and once I am able to increase RPM then cycle back to the low pitch stop adjustment. Does this make sense?
What 540 do you have? Is it a 2700RPM engine or 2600? (The data plate on the engine can tell you this) Are you able to achieve full rated RPM on climb out? Or perhaps someone already set the governor lower then rated for some reason? I would sneak up on the governor to achieve rated rpm (I think it’s about 30 rpm per revolution on the governor screw) but you also have to make sure your prop control cable length allows you to reach the stop before bottoming on the panel. There should be a 1/8 to 1/4 gap between the blue knob and the panel at full forward. It seems that every hartzell propeller that I adjust needed 2 1/3 turns on the low pitch stop, also from others that have done the procedure report the same.

This props stop adjustment factor on this prop is 200 rpm per turn.
Yes the low pitch stops are 200rpm per turn on the screw. The GOVERNOR screw is about 30 rpm per turn from what I remember.. two different things.

Static is 2650, ish….
It’s a Hartzellz. I found his comment about instrument “error” interesting, but didn’t consider his input. I haven’t spoken with JPI to see what they say about “instrument error”.
Doesn’t matter.
I followed Vic’s video and advice, checked to make sure the governor wasn’t in play, and feel things are operating exactly as they should.
I’m not afraid of changing things if I felt it needed it.
But you say it goes to 2720, then settles at 2650ish? That’s because you are on the governor and the low pitch stops aren’t set correctly.. are you saying that statically, you get 2650ish, does this change as you go down the runway? What about at 110 knots, is it still 2650 ish? You should be able to maintain 2700 (rated) rpm in the climb. If you were to back off your governor adjustment, do you think your static rpm would change? I don’t think you are understanding or maybe you don’t want to understand, that’s fine, but from what you are saying, I believe your engine/prop combo is also a candidate for proper adjustment.

Please pardon my ignorance, but:

I bought a used RV-9A with a constant speed prop. Am I right that if I line up on the runway and go to full throttle "quite briskly"...

(a) an RPM surge above 2700 means my low pitch stops are incorrectly set, while
(b) a max RPM just below 2700 suggests they are set correctly?

Owner non-builder here in San Diego, Ca. Anyone around here willing to come by and help me do this on my 7A? I'm hesitant to do anything on this plane for the first time without an experienced eye watching over me.
I’m an A&P and an IA, I would love to help you out. Do you ever make it out to Las Vegas? How about Oceanside? I’ll be in SNA tomorrow if you wanted to fly over..

Please pardon my ignorance, but:

I bought a used RV-9A with a constant speed prop. Am I right that if I line up on the runway and go to full throttle "quite briskly"...

(a) an RPM surge above 2700 means my low pitch stops are incorrectly set, while
(b) a max RPM just below 2700 suggests they are set correctly?
Not quite, let me help correct it..
(a) Brisk throttle application goes to 2700 or more means your low pitch stops aren’t set correctly.
(b) max rpm in flight is being governed by the governor and you should be able to achieve full 2700 rpm on climb out. Sounds like your governor could also use a tiny tweaking to raise rpm.

So for a summary, raise the climb out rpm with the governor (30 rpm per revolution) and lower your static RPM by turning the low pitch stops (under the spinner) I would start with 2 1/3 turns from the factory, then if you needed to tweak the static rpm, you can effect it 50 rpm per 90 degrees (200rpm per revolution)

Yes I agree, if there so far of to hit 3000 rpm’s, you have a problem. After my prop overhaul, I can get it to surge to 2740 but my governor is holding it to 2650 which is ok with me. what I don’t know is if the surge would be the limit if governor did fail. Anyone know this answere?
Each full revolution would be 200RPM if the governor didn’t catch it, meaning if your governor failed, or you lost oil pressure from a blown line, then your prop will go to 3100+RPM!! Start with 2 1/3 turns on the low pitch stop, reset your governor back up to 2700. You should see 2650 at the very beginning of your takeoff roll, increasing to 2700 by liftoff, where the governor will maintain it for the rest of the flight.
You are also a prime candidate for the adjustment.. do it like I recommended and report back, I think you’ll be impressed how nicer it flies.

But you say it goes to 2720, then settles at 2650ish? That’s because you are on the governor and the low pitch stops aren’t set correctly.. are you saying that statically, you get 2650ish, does this change as you go down the runway? What about at 110 knots, is it still 2650 ish? You should be able to maintain 2700 (rated) rpm in the climb. If you were to back off your governor adjustment, do you think your static rpm would change? I don’t think you are understanding or maybe you don’t want to understand, that’s fine, but from what you are saying, I believe your engine/prop combo is also a candidate for proper adjustment.
No. Governor taken out of the picture I get 2650.
I know my roll and climb is 2690 or better. My engine prop combo is limited to short durations above 2600, so I am usually pulling back rather quickly unless I need the power, which is rare….
Let me look at my data tonight. I am no expert and happy to learn. I followed the procedures Vic outlined in his video and everything made sense in my tests.
We shall see.
The 1720, 1710, is a really fast less than a second blip. My EMS doesn’t catch it.