I will Take your word for it!

Good Gosh Tom!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when he started that. It was just after I retired from the USAF!!!!!!!!Does that mean I'm too old to fly now??????(Maybe I just smell that way!):D

Tell the old man I said Hi!

I do not know what you smell like, but I will take your word for it!

I was in Lompoc today helping him fabricate the leading edges of his four ailerons.

I go back down ther in two weeks, and I will do my best to remember to give him your howdy.

You're never too old!

Go for it, Ray. As you've seen from all these replys, you're nowhere near the oldest.

I just finished and flew my -4 June '07 and turned 65 October '07. I had to get some flying lessons to catch up after a 30-year layoff, but that was fun, too. I've got a great friend that is finishing his third RV, a -7A and he's turning 70.

Ageless Wonder

My friend Bob Pratt flew just about everything with wings during WW11. He bailed from his stricken P-61 over Japan just after the war. Over the years he has built several airplanes including an RV-4. When I called him to get permission to post these pics, he informed me he was 85 years old when I took these pictures (last year) as we prepared to hang the engine on his RV-6A. Only you can decide if you are too old to do anything.

Hi all, brand new member.

Dream is to build and fly an RV-7 BUT: I'm 61.....do I have the time? Would like to know if any 'oldies' have done the job - or am I being too cautious?

Cheers from Oz: Ray

I sure hope so! I'm 69 and just started on a 9A. I suppose that I should retire so I'd have more time to spend on it.

Go for it

I will be 65 in Aug. and completed my 9A in Nov.2006 It now has 120 hrs.so I enjoy flying as much as building.I recommend both.I now have (with a partner )a 4 that will be ready for Mel within 30-40 days at the young age of 64.My next project is sorta off the wall , a Zenith 701 but what the heck you can't have too much fun. Jim

I will be 65 in Aug. and completed my 9A in Nov.2006 It now has 120 hrs.so I enjoy flying as much as building.I recommend both.I now have (with a partner )a 4 that will be ready for Mel within 30-40 days at the young age of 64.My next project is sorta off the wall , a Zenith 701 but what the heck you can't have too much fun. Jim
Hate to hijack your post but I rode in a 701 recently and I was impressed. It was the only time I have flown behind a rotax engine. If I didn't already have other projects I would go for it in a heartbeat. The longer we flew the prettier the airplane got, kind of like closing the bar full of ugly women.

I sure hope so! I'm 69 and just started on a 9A. I suppose that I should retire so I'd have more time to spend on it.

Jack,
I'v been told that once you retire you become much more busy.
I started my RV-9A when I was two months short of 71. finished it in 19 months, QB. I figured at 71 a faster build would get me one more year of flying my RV.
RV -9A, O-320, CS prop, steam guages, having a ball.

Me too

Am 62 working on the 7A. Hope to get it finished and be able to fly it before I die or the economy goes broke.

I'm so glad I read this thread! I thought I was "old" at 55 to be finishing up my PP training.

I've just received my 7A preview plans and am about to start building the hangar next to my new airpark home which will of course be used to build the plane.

It's so good to know there are many others older than me with plenty of "go do it" attitude still left in them. This thread answered more than one guy's doubts with great assurances.

Thanks to all! :D

old

I have a friend that is 75 (rv6A) :)and he can see better than I.
He is a good pilot. He likes to have a pilot with him when flying but that ok with me!

OLD COOTS HANG TOGETHER

My friend Bob Pratt flew just about everything with wings during WW11. He bailed from his stricken P-61 over Japan just after the war. Over the years he has built several airplanes including an RV-4. When I called him to get permission to post these pics, he informed me he was 85 years old when I took these pictures (last year) as we prepared to hang the engine on his RV-6A. Only you can decide if you are too old to do anything.

The average age of the guys in these pictures is about 75. I am in the blue t-shirt and the youngster at 69. We got that Lycoming hung in no time. Next gathering will be to move Bob's airplane to his hangar at 1H0.

Below is another group known as the "geezer club". We just finished installing the wings on a RV-7. This group averages about 69, 2 retired surgeons, 3 retired TWA pilots, and one retired USMC fighter pilot. Roger Mell the builder took the picture.

Airplanes keep pilots going. Rick Galati barely finished one machine and he's busy building another....go for it guys, age has nothing to do with it.

I bought my kit from a very nice older (70s) man whose eyesight is failing. I felt really bad for him - he regretted not starting the project a decade or more earlier.

DO IT NOW!

Are you kidding, Mike?
Dad got his private when he was 71! (Took 10 years off his attitude, too!)

Questions I would ask myself:

Hi Ray,

1) Building a good plane takes time, patience and perseverance. Projects that I pegged for 4 hours often take 3 times as long. Good new is some items take half as long. I’m into my RV about 650 hours and I think I’m about 1/3 of the way there.
2) Be prepared to spend some serious money. Although possible to build a RV 7 or 8 for $50K most I know end up spending $75-125K. I will have $100k in mine, light IFR I/O 360. You will send a deposit to Aircraft Spruce about once a week for at least $100 endlessly and will never have the right screw when you need it.
3) You can fix any mistake, but may have to send money to Van to do it in the way of new parts.
4) Last, I think there are builders that fly and flyers that build and there is a difference. If you are the later you may want to buy a plane. It has been my experience that builders that fly have always had a hand in making things, like RC airplanes, hot rods, cars, etc do very well and have a high probably of finishing a plane and not being frustratd. If you never had a torque wrench in your hands, find a good RV being sold by an old fart builder that lost his medical, buy it and enjoy it.

My 2 cents, I hope you join the club, it is exclusive but you will get all the help you need to get her done, however, you must provide the determination.

Good luck. Carl

The quote is excellent advice and, as you can see by all of the encouragement in other posts it is not only feasible but possible to build at almost any age. The stats are that most do NOT finish the project but rather sell it and the next one or two owners do finish it. So the advice in the quote is VERY GOOD and realistic. Evaluate yourself on the following questions:
1. Do you like and really want to BUILD and fly an RV?
2. Do you like and really want to FLY and own an RV?

If it is the later there are good ones for sale and will get you in a plane soon. The price of an RV usually covers the parts (maybe) but is not inflated by the labor (it is a labor of love after all). So seriously ask yourself these questions. It is a time consuming process just doing the thousands of jobs to get to completion not to mention the time spent figuring out just exactly what the job you are about to do entails and how to best go about it. If you build you get the “Repairman’s Certificate.” If you buy you can work on it (it is experimental so touching it with a wrench is NOT like touching a Cessna with a wrench). You will only have to get the conditional inspection signed off by an A&P not necessarily an IA.
Follow your dream but be sure what the dream is before you follow it! (Sounds like Yogi Berra advice?) :)

Last edited:
Are you kidding, Mike?
Dad got his private when he was 71! (Took 10 years off his attitude, too!)

Yeah, I hear you. I'm also hearing more and more about people getting their tickets later and later in life... Thanks. :)

Do I have time??

I was 70 in December and recently purchased a RV 4 complete kit that was barely started...(horiz Stab.) .I am planning on flying it some day!!! I am very
fortunate to be friends with Capt John Miller who turned 102 when I hit 70.
He still jokes about Capt Eddie Rickenbacker firing him from eastern airlines
when he was 60 !!! John flew by himself when 98 from upstate NY to Kitty
Hawk ,NC for 100th anniversary of flight!!!!
I still have my medical and recently passed my bi-annual flight review.
NOTHING WE DREAM IS IMPOSSIBLE !!!!!!!!
Tom Hankamp