Hi all, brand new member.

Dream is to build and fly an RV-7 BUT: I'm 61.....do I have the time? Would like to know if any 'oldies' have done the job - or am I being too cautious?

Cheers from Oz: Ray

Ray,
Go for it, I am 65, just completed RV8A, being retired I was able to spend considerable time, 13 months, to completion. Every day you delay puts you anothed day away from finishing. Life is short, enjoy NOW.
Dick

You're young!!

......compared to a lot of builders. My very first transition training student started building his -7A slow-build at 72!! He finished it at age 77 and is loving every moment of it.

Kindly read the last sentence of my tag line.

Yes, you can do it and should just go for it.

Regards,

Put it on the Bucket List and go for it!

I'm 63 and in the middle of my second RV. I finished a 6A in 2000 and am working on the center section of the fuselage for my 7A. I just can't think of a better way to spend my time.

We're young!!

Hey Ray,

you and I are "in the same boat". I am your age and also have the dream to build and fly a 7. If we use Pierre's first transition training student as a measure, we have 16 years to accomplish this dream - see my moniker!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the pep talk Pierre! By the way, I traveled and worked in the Louisville area for a number of years - pretty country! And I do remember seeing the fields being worked by air on numerous occasions -guess that was you.

DP

start

Just remember this -- if you don't start, you can't finish. I am 55, and I'm going slow on my RV8 but I'm getting there. I also just started going to school at night to be an A&P. It will take me 5-6 years for that. I thought about it for years, and finally realized that never starting meant I would never get it done, so I started both. It's a blast.

Hi Ray, I'll be 82 in a few months. Finished my RV4 18 years ago. Will be done with my RV3B in another 3 or 4 weeks. Gave the 4 to my son and the 3B will eventualy go to my grandson.. Keeps me active and engaged.. Go for it and don't worry about you age. Luck R Bentley

I'm 70, finished our 7A at 69, sold the
Luscombe so I can start a 12 this spring.

Boy!, do I have a bucket list,
Tom

Age..

Man, there is a bunch of old farts on this forum:rolleyes:

60, next July.

Punk kid! :)

I just realized that tomorrow is the 43rd anniversary of my solo, Yup, an "old fart" and proud of it!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
200hp "Crocodile"
KSBA

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!

I've only been flying for 41 years. I'm a newby.
I'll be 65 in a few weeks and have no intention of slowing down. When the bi-plane is finished, next is a P-51 replica and then maybe a helicopter. After that, who knows?

RE:GO FOR IT

I am 60 now ........started a RV7A slow build Sept. 4, 2004. Been great fun/learned alot/new friends here on the forum and also in the community.

You can do it ..... so GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Frank RV7A @ SGU Working on the interior......NDY....BGC just about to move to the airport:eek:

Go for it!

Dream is to build and fly an RV-7 BUT: I'm 61.....do I have the time? Would like to know if any 'oldies' have done the job - or am I being too cautious?

One of our EAA Chpater members finished his second RV at age 85!

Another built 4 RVs, the last one with him being in the late 70's/early 80's maybe.

Sounds like you should have plenty of time unless you take forever like me. :)

James

Hey Mike, I resemble that remark!:)

I guess it depends on the mission, but at 56 and started my RV-9A at 53 I wish I had bought a quick build so I could fly sooner and see some of this beautiful country we live in. I still have a year or so to go and would be flying right now had I bought a QB.

Last edited:
It's the Journey

I'll be 65 in July. Started building my -8A in Nov 04 and probably have a year to go. Good health so far, but ya' never know. I've decided that, while I'm sure the flying is going to be amazing, the building process has been worth every $ I've spent on the airplane. The skills acquired - both hands on stuff and the planning process, and the association with the RV community have made it a tremendously satisfying endeavor. And of course there is the patience, tolerance, increase in frustration tolerance and correction of mistakes stuff that has also been of value.

Cole Kugel was born a year before the Wright brothers made their first flight. He passed away at 105 years old and flew his 182 with another pilot not long before that.

Johnny Miller took his Bonanza up for a hop to celebrate his 100th birthday. He would be about 102 now and I believe is still flying. More info:
http://www.dmairfield.com/people/miller_jm/index.htm

Our local airport is named the Clayton Scott Field in memory of a great guy who was still flying at almost 100 and flew in for his 100th birthday party at the Museum of Flight in a Aerostar. He had the lowest license number of any active pilot if I remember correctly.

I'd say you have plenty of time left!
DaveB

Ray, you're a youngster. Go for it....started mine at 62....first flight at 64, been flying it ever since....can't stop thinking about doing an 8....69 in 32 days....life ain't over 'til its over. :)

absolutely not a problem

go for it if you feel inclined to.
To:
pierre, mel, david, tom and others , you guys are truly a great example of "its not how long you live in a lifetime but how much you live in a lifetime" i hope to mimic you guys attitudes.

Youth & and agility no match for treachery and old age

You should be freeing up an extra 40+ hours per week at about the time you get to the 90% of the build that comes when the first 90% is completed.

My father has found building an airplane to be an excellent retirement project. He bought an RV-9 tail kit when he was 79. Wings were purchased when he was 80. He wants the QB fuselage for his 82nd birthday next January. We hope to be flying by the time he is 85. The only thing holding him up is that his bucking bar buddy/son needs to come over and pound rivets more often. Unfortunately, at 44 I am the one that doesn't have time to build an RV!!!

Very salient point Scott. We see the same thing in Texas. When I was thinking about retirement, a friend of mine gave me the best advice ever. He said "Don't retire from anything, retire to something else." Its not about retirement, its about changing directions.

Best of luck Ray, These guys truly are inspiring. I hope I can keep up with them.

We are planning a trip to OZ, so I hope to be able to come by and help buck a few rivets.:p

You guys are awesome!

In a world where we worship youth and beauty (and being an idiot it seems) I am truely inspired.

I'm only 46 but as far as I'm concerned I'll fly till you can cut the wings of and bury me in the thing...Assuming I haven't done it by myself then...:)

Frank

I was 59 and on the way to church, "I want to build an airplane."
(Three miles of silence)
"Well, there's one thing you don't want to do."
"What's that?"
"you don't want to do it when you're 70."
I ordered the kit the next day and have been flying it for almost a year. Now, what are you waiting for?
BTW, I don't remember much about the sermon from that day.

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
Building airplanes makes ya' live longer!

The way I see it is that building airplanes for fun and passion will probably contribute more to longevity than anything else.

Too many times you hear of a guy that was in great health until the day he retired. ....and then died within a year or two!

Yes, maintaining health is obviously quite important, but looking forward to waking up the next day so you can go enjoy your passion has got to count BIG in allowing you to live longer. I figure if you going to be old anyway, you might as well have a blast doing it!!

I'm almost 55 in the middle of my RV-8 project and already am thinking about what's next after this one is flying. A Stearman restoration maybe?... who knows but I eagerly look forward to it!

Remember what everyone is saying now. The new catchphrase is " Today's 60 is the new 40"

I have always liked the adage "How old would you feel if you did not know how old you were"? Go for it. I'm 52 but at the rate I get things done I was planning on using my retirement of 60 yrs. old from the airline business to enjoy the airplane I have been building. Now I'm just trying to keep my wife from finding out the age of pilot retirement has been changed to 65.

What's the matter, do you plan to kick the bucket next year?

A guy in our EAA chapter built a 9A well into his 70's, then got his pilot's license in it. He recently mentioned to me he was thinking about building another plane.

Another chapter member built a Glastar several years ago when he retired at 60 and now, at about 73 or so, he is talking about building an RV-12 so he can continue to fly if he loses his medical.

A guy who used to work for me doing reforestation, when talking about going elk hunting in Wyoming, said "I don't want to be in a nursing home, sitting in a rocking chair pissin' in my diapers and and wishing I had gotten around to hunting that bull elk..."

So, what would you rather do when you are pissin' in your diapers, telling the other old coots you wish you had done it, or telling them you did it? You actually built an airplane! And it flew great!

Hi Ray, I'll be 82 in a few months. Finished my RV4 18 years ago. Will be done with my RV3B in another 3 or 4 weeks. Gave the 4 to my son and the 3B will eventually go to my grandson.. Keeps me active and engaged.. Go for it and don't worry about you age. Luck R Bentley

Luck, You are a true inspiration to us all. I think we met at LOE last year. Can I be your adapted son? I'll take a 7A please. ;)

I'm 68 and just starting a RV-8. May never finish it but I'm sure enjoying the work. Last Sept our MINN WING of VAN's AIR FORCE had our annual picnic and one of our members - I think in his 80's took his first flight in a 4 that he started years ago. I'm sure his RV GRIN was bigger than one I've ever seen. He was flying with a well qualified pilot and friend but none the less what a wonderful moment.

I have one goal in life...

When I'm on my death bed, I don't ever want to say, "I wish I would have..."

That and I want to out live my contemporaries so I can be the head roster at the old age home. :D

Get to building! There is nothing as much fun as pounding rivets with a buddy and telling "lies".

What a timely post, I really needed it. I am 58 building an RV6 and trying to get my license. I have really been questioning myself lately as to whether I am too old and just "plain nuts for trying this. The airplane is coming out very good according to my EAA Tech Counselors, but it just seems like it takes me forever to figure everything out. I had been having a lot of self doubt lately, thanks guys for the spirit lift.

Never too old

Hi Ray,

I'm 61 and started an RV 7A 6 months ago. See www.mykitlog.com/carlbell. Pierre Smith has been giving me type instruction in his RV 7 and I have been working on Instrument re-certification at Carolina Aviation since I haven?t flown much since losing a leg 10 years ago in a tornado. The hanger where I'm renting and building is owned by a fellow that is 84 and he is building a GP4. The net is you can do anything you set your mind to and the journey can be as much fun as the destination. I have tried to start an RV in my younger days, but there was the job, the kids, college tuition for 3 girls, yada, yada.

There is no downside, and the people you will meet and the process is worth every last penny.

Now, let me add a thing or two that I personally underestimated:

1) Building a good plane takes time, patience and perseverance. Projects that I pegged for 4 hours often take 3 times as long. Good new is some items take half as long. I?m into my RV about 650 hours and I think I?m about 1/3 of the way there.
2) Be prepared to spend some serious money. Although possible to build a RV 7 or 8 for $50K most I know end up spending $75-125K. I will have $100k in mine, light IFR I/O 360. You will send a deposit to Aircraft Spruce about once a week for at least $100 endlessly and will never have the right screw when you need it.
3) You can fix any mistake, but may have to send money to Van to do it in the way of new parts.
4) Last, I think there are builders that fly and flyers that build and there is a difference. If you are the later you may want to buy a plane. It has been my experience that builders that fly have always had a hand in making things, like RC airplanes, hot rods, cars, etc do very well and have a high probably of finishing a plane and not being frustratd. If you never had a torque wrench in your hands, find a good RV being sold by an old fart builder that lost his medical, buy it and enjoy it.

My 2 cents, I hope you join the club, it is exclusive but you will get all the help you need to get her done, however, you must provide the determination.

Good luck. Carl

You're not too old!

Go for it. I started my RV-8 at 62, retired at 63, finished it at 65 and now have 370 hours on it at age 66. I am having a great time and plan to wear it out before moving on. Life is short. Play hard.

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU

a different opinion

Look in the mirror...... Do you want to build an airplane or want to fly an airplane.

If the answer leans heavily in favor of flying, get to know local RVers, look at Barnstormers.com every couple of days. When you find one you like take a local with you a go check it out. Buy don't build.

If the answer favors building then by all means, build away.

I started a -4 in 1989....... Never finished. Bought all the kits.

Wrote a check in 2006 and flew off with a very nice -4..... someone else finished.

No comparison. Yes I know it's cheating. But when you compare what a nice -4 or -6 goes for vs the cost to build, all things considered, it's a bargain to buy hands down.

RV grin is just as big and my hat is off to all the builders out there who have finished their projects.

If you knew you only had 5 years left would you rather:

(a) Build 4 years 6 months, fly 6 months in your creation.

(b) Fly for the next 5 years and miss out on the build process.

Just noticed you are from down under mate :), a little harder to buy perhaps in your case but with the US dollar falling against several foreign currencies I would not be surprised to see a few US birds exported.

Last edited:
Or do both

If you can, fly and build! I have been working at an F1 EVO Rocket for about a year, and recently decided I needed to get some flying in so purchased an older RV-4 for under $50k. Transition training is booked for two weeks from now and then should be good to go.

Told my wife the other day I plan to die young. She looked at me with a bit of surprise, then I said I might be 85 but I still plan to be young. 53 now, but getting younger every day!

TIME

STARTED AT 72........FINISHED AT 75.....(Although I had some help.) STILL AIRBORNE AT 76... HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU WANT....GET STARTED ! ! ! ! ! You gotta be famous for something ! ! ! !

The older the buck....

.........the tougher the horns, as we say down South:)

At 62 years, I flew 7 hours on the tach of my Air Tractor yesterday, spraying wheat for weeds, and man, was I sore last night, those huge ailerons the size of an RV wing (not quite) worked on my shoulder muscles. Ten loads, 1050 acres..hundreds of swaths and turnarounds. over 5000 total gallons through the airplane's pump....what, I'm too old?? really?? never occurred to me.

Just go for it,

Regards,

Build and fly

Ray,

Come to my place and we can have your kit flying in about 6 months.
I am in Texas 817 439 1220.
I am 61 as well.

Reading this thread has been inspiring. I will turn 65 this May. Around this time last year I had done my research on building an RV-10. Even reserved my N number. I had planned to buy at Sun n Fun. However, I decided against building and keep my current airplane. Now, I am back to building again and will order the tail kit at Sun n Fun this year. No turning back this year. I have thought too much about it and lost a year of building time.

Thanks all for fortifying my motivation.

JF

GOOD GRIEF! I hope so!
I'm 64, building the 8 & hope to fly this year!

If 50 is the new 30 and 70 the new 50 you have time to build a whole squadron - go for it. But remember to follow the latest government scold's advice and stop smoking, exercise daily and if you drink do so in moderation - there was a fourth but I can't remember it - possibly due to not heeding the others:D

Plenty of time!

I am 64 (will be 65 in a few weeks) and have also started a 9QB this past September, my riveting partner is going on 78 and contemplating a 12!

Joe

Hey Ray,
Don't be a would-a-could-a-should have.
From the 5-6 pages of responses.
That should tell you, "Go for it!"

I'm a punk! but my Dad is not.

My Dad is 76, he has been building a Skyote from scratch since 1984.

Its almost ready to cover,

Never give up, Never surrender!

Victory only comes after a struggle!

Build or by, but whatever, FLY.

Best wishes.

Time

My Dad is 76, he has been building a Skyote from scratch since 1984..

Good Gosh Tom!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when he started that. It was just after I retired from the USAF!!!!!!!!Does that mean I'm too old to fly now??????(Maybe I just smell that way!):D

Tell the old man I said Hi!

Last edited: