Allan when done would you post a pic of the new clamp on unit for us please? I'd like to see how it's clamped before I decide on weld vs clamp, and I may need a bend in the pipe for clearance on my Cozy, would that be possible?
Thanks, Tim

... I don't see a problem with that. Just look at the photo I will put up tomorrow and let us know what changes you would like. Thanks, Allan..:D

Saddle Fittings Available!!!!!

... Here are the photos of the production parts we have made to simplify the vacuum valve installation. All required now is to drill a 5/8" clearance hole where you want the valve, and clamp it on. The parts are all 321 series stainless, .050" tube and .060" saddle with the tube properly welded in. They will never crack or compromise the exhaust systems integrity in any way. The saddle pieces have locator tabs to prevent the clamps from moving and the tubes are set to the optimum angle for best vacuum performance, thus removing any guess work. We have them in stock now and will offer them as standard equipment for our vacuum systems. We can still offer the weld in tube for special or custom installations if needed. Thanks guys, Allan... :D

Last edited:
Guys, do you think enough vacuum would be generated by attaching this to one pipe of a 4 pipe system?

... Yes! We do this all the time on the RV-8s and it works just as well. At 2500 RPM you are getting 1200 exhaust puts a minute or 20 per second down each pipe. That is more than needed to make the system function perfectly. Thanks, Allan...:D

... These saddle mounts with clamps are now available on our website, with or without the vacuum valve. Please, if ordering, don't forget to specify the outside diameter of the exhaust tubing where you are intending to mount this on. Thanks, and have a great "Memorial Day", Allan... :D

Wow! Lots of Orders

... When we returned today from our long weekend we were swamped with orders for the new saddle mount exhaust fitting and clamps. The only problem with this is, when ordering, we need to know the outside diameter of the exhaust pipe where the unit is to be placed. Most of the Vetterman exhaust systems are 1&3/4" or 2". So, please specify the size so we don't send off the wrong part to you. It seems we should have been offering this from the beginning and would have saved many of you guys a lot of work. Thanks guys, Allan... :D

...Below is a copy of the e-mail from Larry he sent me with photos that we patterned the product after. Larry also did a considerable amount of testing on this prior to our offering it Thanks, Allan..:D
Alan, here is an idea that I am trying on my aircraft. I took a section
of 1.75 X.049 stainless tubing and expanded it to fit over a standard pipe
cut a section out and made a plateand welded the tube into it. This method
will keep the purchaser from having to weld it in. I just used used a small
dab of high timp RTV but a gasket of some type can be made. After i
drilled the hole in the pipe, I mounted the unit with 2 ea. hose clamps.
so far is working good. If you see why this would not work let me know.
Larry V. 605 745 5932
----- Original Message -----
Sent: February 22, 2012 12:20 PM

This intrigues me, but I have a question. Is it outside the realm of possibility that the valve with caked and baked oil in it could stick closed? Wouldn't that blow out a seal on the engine?

This intrigues me, but I have a question. Is it outside the realm of possibility that the valve with caked and baked oil in it could stick closed? Wouldn't that blow out a seal on the engine?

...We have never seen this happen with several thousand out there in the 40 plus years we have been using and marketing this system. The valve is a stainless reed, and is in movement at all times when the engine is running. The reed doesn't run hot so it seems to keep itself clean at it's seat. Were the valve to fail it would fail open only causing no problem other than a loss of any performance gained by having it. We have seen on a couple of engines that have excessive blow-by, a build up in the tube where it enters the exhaust pipe. If at annual time the valve were unscrewed and this tube cleaned if needed, that would eliminate it ever being a possible problem. Thanks, Allan...:D