N452CB

:)USAF 51-71 retired, 13,000+ hours
Aviation Cadet class 53A
T6-D,F,G,B-25,B-26,B-47,WB-47,WC-135B,O-2, & assorted others
Am I the only person willing to admit to flying the B-47, 1,422 hours?
Now a UFO (United Flying Octogenarians) as of 13 July 2010
Flying an RV-6.5 since 2003
Chuck

Last edited:
Fighter Pilot

USAFA Class of '64
Pilot Training, Laredo 66B, T37, T-33
UPT Flight Instructor, Laredo, T-33, T-38
Fighter Pilot F-4C, F-4D, F-4E
Air Liaison Officer, FT Bragg, O-2A
Sqdn Commander, 614TFS Torrejon, F-4D
Director, TAC, Langley AFB
DCS Operations, 13AF Clark AB, F-4E/F-4G
Retired Sept '92

Falcon Flight Formation Team, 1994-Pres
Formation Flying, Inc (FFI), 1999-Pres
Guinness World Record, Largest Civil Close Formation, 37-ship, AirVenture 09

Last edited:
55th ARRS Eglin AFB 24/7 alert. 1969-1973 world wide mobility
air rescue. 5-C130?s and 25 choppers. H3 H43 and H53.
engine mechanic primary. Volunteered for every flight mission. acquired 100's of flight hours! had a ball. Involved with rescue missions all over the world. The 55th trained Para-rescue outfits that would JUMP out of perfectly good aircraft! Strange breed of people! LOL. Currently building RV7 while flying a Citabria. the only regret is that my uniform has seemed to have shrunk A LOT!
Can't fit into it anymore! hum.
fred

Born Navy but Air Force by Choice

My dad was a Naval Aviator and growing up that is all I wanted to do; but poor eyes ended those dreams in 6th grade. Later at College I hooked up with an ROTC detachment in MN and wanted to be around aviation on a regular basis, so I volunteered to "ride" on E-3's as a "Weapons Controller". I've been doing that pretty much ever since with both the active duty and Reserves; and I now have the distinction of being one of about five or six guys still flying who have "core" (ie. "A") model time in their log books. All that really means is that I've gotten pretty old I think...

I hope to get my RV-9A (w/Mazda rotary engine) flying next year if I can just get the stinkin sliding canopy knocked out once and for all! I failed miserably at that task two summers ago and ended up buying a new slider frame to start over. Hopefully this August will end with a better result.

I've always loved the Blue Angel paint job and I grew up watching them flying the F11F Tigers; so I'm planning on that paint job with a yellow "9" on the tail for my 9A. I am expecting a bunch of grief from my USAF Reserve buds, but it should make my dad smile when we go flying together :).

Doug
90116; FWF / Canopy

Last edited:
Still Having Too Much Fun

T-38 FAIP Laughlin Class 86-03
B-52G/H's (DESERT STORM, Weapons School, Castle, Eaker, Minot)
HQ ACC
Eglin flying test at Barksdale
Pentagon
Eglin F-35 Site Activation - sim only
Now Columbus 14 FTW/CV and T-1 IP, plus get to fly the T-6 and T-38C
4100+ hours and counting

Marti asks "When are you going to retire? -- Ans, when it stops being fun"
Next generation's at USAFA, Class of '13

George Ross
Waiting too long to start building my RV dream since Oshkosh and Sun-n-Fun '91

Maybe not the oldest but close...

KC-135A, C-135A, VC-135B Included 5 years/200+ sorties (lost count after the 2nd hundred) passing gas all over SEA.
I salute you fighter jocks, especially the F-105 guys who used to stagger back sometimes bleeding JP4 from every tank (and the ones who didn't show up) from those trips north. You B-52 drivers hauling those 12 hour trips from Guam to the DMZ and back earned your flight pay too.
We could have really used these big-engine R Models hauling those max loads off those tropical runways back then. "Boomer, pass me a sandwich - I can finish it before rotation speed".
Peace time duties included navaids inspection flights around the 50 state area and hauling VIPs all over the Pacific-Asia theater.
Resigned from active duty to join an airline, found nothing but furlough lists. Joined FAA Flight Inspection unit in Tokyo, then OKC and DFW. Managed to put in 8+ years in TX ANG as ground pounder and 25 years in FAA. Retired from both in 2002 one week before my 60th birthday.
Completed RV8 Kit #271 17 months later. Having a ball.

Idaho Air National Guard
Avionics Technician - 1981
UNT class 83-08 (I think, it was a long time ago...), Mather AFB
RF-4C
C-130

More recently...
EMB Brasilia
Canadair Regional Jet

Soon..

RV-7 slider!

USAF Trained!

AFROTC FIP, Allegheny College, Meadville, PA Spring 1968 (Cessna 150)
UPT, Laredo AFB, TX, Class 70-02, September 1968-October 1969 (T-41, T-37, T-38)
Transition training, Altus AFB, OK, November 1969-January 1970 (C-141A)
41st MAS, Charleston AFB, SC, February 1970-August 1973 (C-141A CP, FP, AC, IP, FEAC)

John
today - light sport: 7AC Champ and J3 Cub

Stu, were you still instructing in T-38s at Laredo in April-October, 1969?

C-5A crew chief

60 OMS, 60 MAW, Travis AFB, CA
1979-1987

Now at SWA in DAL, Maint. Inspector

Guard Baby

-Air National Guard, 2006- Present: Aerial Porter (loading and unloading cargo and people), OIF vet. It's been a blast so far!

-Applying to Guard UPT boards in 2011, either Hercs or Hawgs.

2nth9v5.jpg

(Yeah, the tuxedo shirt isn't exactly within regs, but it was a fun way to welcome our replacements when we pulled them off the plane. :cool: Plus, when you're AF on an Army base, you can get away with a lot, we found.)

I do have to question the title of the thread though. I thought the Navy had "aviators" and the AF had pilots.

Hopefully an RV-8 in my future!

WOW after reading all the pilot accomplishments I feel a little silly saying I was in the AF from 78 to 82 (and loved it). Reese, King Salmon and Mather. Just the Fire Department no big deal and really not exciting at all. However it was a good foundation and now I am a Captain in a large department in California.

Thanks to my AF foundation which helped me get my current job I am able to fly my RV6 and build my RV7. No "A" so I feel slightly superior to all the jet boys with thousands of hours in there nose draggier/ training wheel aircraft (sorry I had to get in a little dig) :D.

Any way I have the Air Force to thank. I often think it would have been fun to cross train into something more directly involved with the mission (load master/boomer/maintainer) and stay in the reserves. I really enjoyed the AF.

Also thanks to all those that did stay in and keep the rest of us safe.

NOT USAF BUT RCAF

RCAF 76-88
Aero Engine technician ( F-101--T-33--F-5 ) 76-83
Flt Eng ( H-46 SAR ) 83-88 1200HRS
Airline job
1988-- Present
DHC-6-HS-748-CV-580-DHC-8-L-1011-DC-9-A-319,320,321-B-757-B-767-B-777 ) xxxxx hrs
VAF
RV-4 ( 2000--present ) 550 hrs..

I wish we had a Reserve AF in Canada like you guys have down south, would have been fun flying an F-16,15 on week end and not paying for the gas...

Bruno Dionne
RV-4 C-GDBH
[email protected]

WOW after reading all the pilot accomplishments I feel a little silly saying I was in the AF from 78 to 82 (and loved it). Reese, King Salmon and Mather. Just the Fire Department no big deal and really not exciting at all.

Do not ever say that. I know two good (and one questionable!) pilots alive because of the heroic efforts of firefighters. That s*#@ is dangerous!

A funny story about AF firefighters at Del Rio-by-the-sea (Laughlin AFB, Tx). That ATC base would shut down and was pretty dark - and on a moonless night you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the AFB and Del Rio International until you were really close. One summer evening an alert fire team heard the sound of a twin engine airplane that sounded like it was losing power. Nah - just throttling back to land. Scrambling the crash and fire vehicles, they surrounded the light twin before he could realize his mistake and take off again.

They unloaded two very nervous occupants, and about 500 lbs of drugs....

:D

Ouch.

All Mach, no vector

Usually used to denote cluelessness in other people. Maybe not the best self-description. Just sayin'... Your future UPT buddies will slam you mercilessly if you have that tag attached to your own profile voluntarily. ;)

Looks like he removed it. Doesn't matter, you don't get to pick your own nickname.

Unless, of course, you introduce yourself as "Tumbleweed..."

:D

USAF... aero club?

Yup, that's it. Of course, it does not qualify as "USAF Aviaton", however I flew Cessnas for a time at Keesler.

I was in the USAF from 66-70, Electronic Warfare maint, SR-71 @ Beale then RF-4 in Alconbury, England.

So, all you REAL USAF aviators, please accept a snappy salute from this former ECM dude who helped keep you flying, and who got out as an E-4 to take full advantage of the GI Bill.

As a sidebar, my daughter will receive her Naval Aviator wings in a couple of months (but that's a different thread.)

Of
I was in the USAF from 66-70, Electronic Warfare maint, SR-71 @ Beale then RF-4 in Alconbury, England.

Hey Tom, when were you at Alconbury? My dad was Wing Commander of the 10th TRW in 1966 & 1967. We lived on the base from 64 to 67 on Delta Lane.

My daughter is working on a PhD in the UK, and on a recent visit to see her we dropped by Alconbury to take a look. Some of the base looked just as it did in the mid 60's. Some things never change.....

Last edited:
Laredo

Jartz Stu said:
NO, by then I had started Water Survival and Land Survival training prior to reporting to Davis-Montham AFB for F-4 upgrade training, then heading to join 555 TFS at Udorn RTAB.

USAF

T-37, T-33, T-38, F-4C, D, & E, A-7C, D, E, A-10A, 1 LSD (large steel desk.) USN Exchange with 171 traps.

T-37, T-33, T-38, F-4C, D, & E, A-7C, D, E, A-10A, 1 LSD (large steel desk.) USN Exchange with 171 traps.

Well, Charley, with your resume' and demonstrated ability, I think you just put to rest the old adage, "Flare to land, squat to pee." :D

I have two older brothers and a sister in law who are in the AF and I am a contracted AFROTC cadet. The oldest brother is a 1Lt C-17 pilot at Hickam. He graduated ENJJPT, class 10-02. His wife is an intel officer,1Lt, just returning from Iraq. The middle brother is a 2Lt who is currently a med student at Saint Louis University. I am a sophomore at the University of Arkansas with the goal of becoming a fighter pilot. My brothers have given me a lot of insight on what it takes to get a slot. Everything is lining up so far!

Danny King, if you are out there, it was great meeting you at OSH.

-Jordan

Last edited: