Ron B.

Well Known Member
I’m in need of 6 ft of .120” ss round rod for cowl hinge pins. I know Van’s has some but it’s much easier to acquire from McMasterCarr in my area. Looking at their website, I’m surprised I can’t find something suitable. Anybody order some .120” rod for cowl pins and have a part number they could share?
Thanks Ron

I’m in need of 6 ft of .120” ss round rod for cowl hinge pins. I know Van’s has some but it’s much easier to acquire from McMasterCarr in my area. Looking at their website, I’m surprised I can’t find something suitable. Anybody order some .120” rod for cowl pins and have a part number they could share?
Thanks Ron

You can buy it from Vans as in the previous reply.

I bought mine from a local store called McFadden-Dale. It is well stocked with hard to find hardware. It has a website but I don't think the website has the complete inventory. BTW, I could not find the same piano wires from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks , but I was hoping for Stainless Steel not just tooling steel unless tooling steel is ss?

I bought two two-foot lengths from McMaster for the vertical hinges lower cowl to firewall, dia 0.125" +/-0.001, 304SS, B75 hardness, PN 89535K16, available 6" to 6'.

I'm happy with the 0.125 diameter. YMMV.

There's also dia 3 mm -0.04/+0 which is .01173" +/- 0.0008, 304SS, B80 hardness, PN 1272T33, available 1, 1-1/2, 3, and 6'.

I have 1/8” (.125” available locally) but I find the .120” goes in difficult enough. I’m using my pins retrofitting another’s cowling. Had to steel mine back to go flying today.