What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sanchem results

MTBehnke

Well Known Member
There?s been a fair amount of discussion here about Sanchem 6100. I just started with it yesterday, but wanted to share my observations so far.

I finally finished all of the deburring and match-drilling of all the horizontal and vertical stabilizer parts. I had ordered Sanchem?s 6100 A/B/C and Sealer #2 for corrosion protection. I decided to use Sanchem based on a bunch of factors, including minimizing exposure to hazardous chemicals, ability to use in cooler temps (garage in MN in winter), claimed good corrosion protection, minimal concern for paint adhesion on interior surfaces, ease of use, lack of experience with spray equipment, easy disposal, etc.

So yesterday I started cleaning each part with the Part C cleaner and scotchbrite pads, rinsing in distilled water, then dunking and/or wiping with the 50/50 mix of the Part A & B chemicals for 3-5 minutes, then rinsing again with distilled water. I had mixed results in terms of uniformity of color even on individual pieces. Some areas appeared to change color very little with other areas turning a light golden color. I tried prepping the parts differently to see if I could achieve better results, including cleaning/scrubbing more, refreshing the chemicals, longer dunking, but didn?t get a noticeable improvement. Now that the parts have fully dried the overall color change appears more uniform, but is a very light silver/gold color. Perhaps this is normal, I was just expecting a more distinct golden color.

As I?m a little puzzled about the result so far, I decided to make a test piece. I took a scrap sheet of aluminum and sanded the Alclad off one side, then did the Sanchem A/B/C treatment on two-thirds of each side. I then applied a light coat of the Sealer #2 to half of the treated portions on each side and heated it using a heat gun to make the sealer clear, per the instructions. Interestingly, the sealer made the light gold color from the A/B/C treatment disappear, which I can only assume is supposed to happen.

I then wet the pieces and observed water beading up nicely on the Alclad portions as well as the portion with the Sealer #2. Water sheets on the sanded and A/B/C treatment only portions. I wrapped the piece in a paper towel soaked with a salt solution and will wet and dry like this over the next week or two to see if any corrosion occurs. I doubt it will occur in this timeframe, but it will be interesting if it does and I?ll update here if anything happens.

So anyways, still puzzled, I did some more searching on the web and came up with a paper detailing some extensive corrosion and adhesion test results of a number of non-chromate aluminum treatments, including Sanchem 7000, comparing them to Alodine.

The full paper is available at: http://www.industrialanodizing.com/Documents/ncapi.pdf

I?d encourage those interested to read the report, however selected text from the report includes:
1. Section 3.9 of the report states that ?Sanchem 7000 with the sealer has historically demonstrated unacceptable paint adhesion.?
2. Table 3.1 of the report states ?Minimal corrosion inhibition without sealer. Sealer requires elevated temperature cure and has poor adhesion characteristics.?
3. Section 5.1.2 of the report states that "Alodine 1200S and TCP coatings exposed to 1-week and 2-week Neutral Salt Fog Exposure show no corrosion on 2024-T3, 7075-T6, and 5083-H131. Alodine 5200 and Sanchem 7000 with Seal #2 show surface corrosion within 48 hours on 2024-T3?

My comments based on what I?ve read and experienced so far include:
1. The Sanchem products appear to offer some corrosion protection, but generally not equivalent to Alodine.
2. No comparison of Sanchem?s products to other systems (bare Alclad, epoxy primers, etc.) is available so it?s hard to compare to other systems.
3. The Sanchem products do require the Sealer to provide corrosion protection, whereas the Alodine performed well without any additional protection/coating.
4. Any additional primers/sealers/paints applied over the Sealer may not adhere well.

So where does this leave me? Thoughts/concerns include:
1. Due to the resulting clear color of the sealed surfaces, it will likely be difficult to see any areas where the protection has been damaged during assembly/riveting.
2. Sealer is clearly a must to achieve any corrosion protection, but aren?t some internal components painted with the exterior (e.g. rear of HS/VS spars, outside ribs, etc)? Adhesion problems?
3. When using the scotchbrite pads when cleaning with the Part C chemical is the diminished corrosion-proofing from the Alclad offset by the protection from the Sanchem system?
4. Applying the A/B/C pretreatments took a fair amount of time, and I didn?t do the skins and haven?t applied the sealer to anything yet.
5. Should I switch to an epoxy primer which I believe will be faster, simpler, and more reliable?
6. Should I stop worrying incessantly about these details and just get it done?

Anyways, I just thought I?d share what I?ve learned so far. If anyone has any other results with the Sanchem chemicals please post them.

Thanks,
Mike Behnke
RV-9A Empennage

Sanchem Results

I started my empennage with Alodine, but was very concerned about the toxicity of the hexavalent chromium. I have been using the Sanchem 6100 system for the rest of the empennage and am about to start on the wing ribs.

I used C followed by the AB. Once dry, I then used AZKO two part epoxy primer. So far, the primer has adhered really well. Basically, you can't scrape it off without taking off metal.

This link was really news to me, regarding the 7100 system. Not sure what is similar and of course is giving me second thoughts on the Sanchem.

As I understand it, the Alodine system develops a couple of molecule thick coat of aluminum chromate over the treated area--which is basically chemically unreactive as it is very stable, hence no corrosion. Sanchem is purple and so I am assuming that this is a potassium permanganate solution which leaves you with a couple of molecules of aluminum permanganate to resist corrosion. Assuming the primer sticks, it really should be equivalent.

Bottom line is, I am neither a chemist nor an aeronautical engineer so I don't really know. I have been going on the information I got from Sanchem, that suggests it is equivalent to Alodine. I am thinking about shooting that link to the folks at Sanchem and see what they think.

As far as the coating goes, it is much less a golden color than the alodine, but you can tell pretty well if an area did not convert and go back easily enough. The color also fades as the piece dries, so I wouln't worry about that.

Let me know how this comes out.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wings
San Ramon, CA

My results with CC6100

I found that I got much better consistent coating when I pre-cleaned the part with acetone or MEK. Then clean with Part C. When brushing on the A-B mixture, you will see the residue turn a "watery-brown" color.... I would wipe this off and re-apply the A-B mix. I am very pleased with my results.

I have a MSDS Technical Application sheet from Sanchem and it clearly states the coating offers complete corrosion protection WITHOUT the sealer. It is also an acceptable base for paint with no additional process.

The report quoted above regarding Sanchem 7000 is a TOTALLY different product. If you go to the Sanchem site and request their technical data they will mail it to you in a couple of days.

Also, the chemical conversion will occur within 1 minute if the surface is properly prepared...No need to wait 5 minutes. If unsatisfied with the color results, wipe off "used" solution and re-apply. It just keeps getting a darker, bronze color with successive applications.

While I realize the testing done in the report is based on the 7000 product, not the 6100, I'm not sure I'm ready to accept Sanchem's position that no sealer is required for a few reasons:

1. I spoke with Sanchem's technical expert, John Wibber, Ph.D., before I ordered the product and he clearly stated that the Sealer #2 is required for corrosion protection.

2. Sanchem's website does not provide any distinction or information regarding the differences between the products. The only info I could find for either products anywhere on their site is:
"SafeGard CC-6100 and SafeGard CC-7000 - Cold applied conversion coatings react in a few seconds to give gold-brown coating with excellent paint adhesion and corrosion resistance. Used for in service repair applications involving a small number of parts on a one-time basis."

3. Clearly the testing that was performed for the report at the above link was very extensive and well thought out. They clearly had prior experience with Sanchem's products. If the 6100 is a better product, I'd expect that they would have tested with it instead of the 7000.

I'll admit I tend to be cautiously skeptical of any vendor's claims about their products. Despite this, I still believe their product, with the sealer, provides a higher level of corrosion protection than bare Alclad, but falls well short of Alodine. It's more a matter of how much corrosion-proofing is desired by each of us.

Mike Behnke
RV-9A Empennage
Andover, MN

Agreed

I'm with you 100% Mike. The Sanchem website sucks. The interesting fact is that alclad really requires no protection and Vans states that "anything else" is just added protection (and weight, labor, time).

The testing report sent to me by Sanchem was performed by an independent laboratory where they tested the CC6100 side-by-side with Alodine (two different types) as well as a couple of other primer products. While it is agreed the Sanchem did not perform as well as Alodine, the results were nearly identical (2 pits vs 1 pit). The test was meant to simulate a 30-year corrosion study of aluminum structures/equipment in a salt water environment (more harsh than any airplane would ever experience).

While I'm not a chemist either, it is hard to imagine how a "chemical conversion" of the outer .0001 of the surface could repel corrosion....but it does. And it does a great job. I'm doing all my parts as well as the inside surface of the skins. It will be great for my RV-9. Heck, my 1979 Warrier has NO primer or corrosion protection at all on any inside part or skin and shows no corrosion.

My technical Advisor agrees and thinks that this product is the coolest thing. If you are doubtful, than go ahead and shoot Variprime or whatever coating you desire. Whatever floats your boat.

Back