What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912ULS Air Filter for Bing64 Carb

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I understand that K&N air filters are serviceable and can be cleaned and re-oiled. I’d like to buy new and can’t find Rotax 825-551 K&N Air Filter SP2704 in stock anywhere. Any ideas…

I found it in stock in Romania. Not helpful? I have a 912ULS on a Searey. I've been using the K&N RC-1200 for the last few years. I found this on the technical forum for a Searey site like VAF. Hope that helps.

I understand that K&N air filters are serviceable and can be cleaned and re-oiled. I’d like to buy new and can’t find Rotax 825-551 K&N Air Filter SP2704 in stock anywhere. Any ideas…
Jim I ran into the same issue try to get a filter for my 912ULS and was told the filter was made for Rotax and I would have to go a Rotax distributor for that filter. My hangar mate has a Kitfox with a 912ULS and his air filters are similar but smaller depth. Not sure if they are K&N but cleanable and reoil. I’ll check with him about the part number and availability.

I found it in stock in Romania. Not helpful? I have a 912ULS on a Searey. I've been using the K&N RC-1200 for the last few years. I found this on the technical forum for a Searey site like VAF. Hope that helps.
I agree with Hangar 1271. I recently ordered this one off Amazon. The biggest differences is no tab for safety wire. You could wrap the wire 360 degrees around the hose clamp but I elected to not use safety wire and have had no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062YOHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gee, I see the price on the (backordered) K&N SP-2704 is now $95 each from a Rotax distributor. The one without the safety wire tab might be a good alternate for the RV12. I think the tab is likely designed for pusher applications of the engine where a loose air filter could go through the prop. Like John, I have never safety wired mine. The KAI is very specific about safety wiring the oil drain plug, the magnetic inspection plug, and the oil pressure regulator plug but is mute on safetying the air filters.

I used to safety wire the filter until someone pointed out that's only for pusher airplanes with exposed engines that you don't want stuff flying off and thru the prop. Have to admit I don't see that filter ever moving at all.

Unless you are in a particular hurry, I would order the backordered filter from Leading Edge Airfoils. I've ordered tons of backordered stuff from them and they have always come through for it, just takes a little time.

Back