What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal Building/Hangar Costs, 2024

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
There's a similar thread for 2023. But given how quickly costs have been changing, I'd thought I'd start a new thread.

Is anyone in the process of building a steel hangar? Particularly in or near Florida? Or has anyone recently completed construction?

I'm in the early planning stages in Florida. I'd like to go as big as I can afford. 75' x 75' would be great, if I could pull it off.

I don't know any of the manufacturers or how their products differ from one another.

Any thoughts and recent experiences are appreciated.

There's a similar thread for 2023. But given how quickly costs have been changing, I'd thought I'd start a new thread.

Is anyone in the process of building a steel hangar? Particularly in or near Florida? Or has anyone recently completed construction?

I'm in the early planning stages in Florida. I'd like to go as big as I can afford. 75' x 75' would be great, if I could pull it off.

I don't know any of the manufacturers or how their products differ from one another.

Not in Florida but in Wisconsin I priced a 60x60 installed with higher power door, concrete, apron, and basic electric. Easily shot a hole in $100k.

We were planning on building one starting last fall, but my job ended up relocating me so we had to abandon it - but we got pretty far down the quote process.

Central Indiana, 60x100 (55' door), our quote was $430,000. This is a morton pole barn, but iand had some amenities like radiant flooring and two garage doors, and some asphalt work to the drive up to the building, if it's helpful.

Design and price hangars online for free. Mike, thank you for mentioning me for hangars.

For cost we have a website that actually will design, price and print plans and you can walk through the building you just designed. All the other sites just want your info. You can get quotes anonymously for the first 3 then if you log in you can track your quotes and it is all free. There are videos that help you design your hangar. rapidsetbuildings.com. The button on the top in red "design online". Once you like your design give us a call. Or if you need a custom design give us a call. Larry

Not in Florida but in Wisconsin I priced a 60x60 installed with higher power door, concrete, apron, and basic electric. Easily shot a hole in $100k.

Based on what the door manufacturers I spoke with at Sun 'N Fun told me, the door alone will be in the $45K ballpark.

Based on what the door manufacturers I spoke with at Sun 'N Fun told me, the door alone will be in the $45K ballpark.
I don’t doubt that! The quote I got was awhile back. I found an 80x80 that was about 5 years old for sale and they were asking $280k

Steel prices dropped for a while, but they are back up. Everything is more expensive than three years ago when I built mine, and steel spiked then. It was expensive to build then and has just gotten worse.

I can advise you, the mass marketed steel building companies are certainly cheaper than a local or regional company. Having just seen a DIY new steel building from one of those companies, you get what you pay for. It didn’t compare to my building in anyway other than it had four walls and a roof.
Cheap, cheap, cheap….
Choose wisely…..

Steel prices dropped for a while, but they are back up. Everything is more expensive than three years ago when I built mine, and steel spiked then. It was expensive to build then and has just gotten worse.

I can advise you, the mass marketed steel building companies are certainly cheaper than a local or regional company. Having just seen a DIY new steel building from one of those companies, you get what you pay for. It didn’t compare to my building in anyway other than it had four walls and a roof.
Cheap, cheap, cheap….
Choose wisely…..
3 years ago we built a 48x48x14’ high hangar with 40’ Higher power door in central WI for around $160k. Bathroom w shower and in floor heat.Local pole building company who did excellent work. I really like it.

3 years ago we built a 48x48x14’ high hangar with 40’ Higher power door in central WI for around $160k. Bathroom w shower and in floor heat.Local pole building company who did excellent work. I really like it.
I had a pole barn quoted for my 60x60 but it came in higher priced than the steel building, at that time. Still, nothing wrong with a pole building and might be an option to consider.

we are building a 90 x 100 in Arkansas and we will be lucky to do it for $120/sqft. I'm guessing it will be more like $135/sqft when it is all said and done...

Can you build it yourself? I put up an outbuilding (not a hangar) in western Wisconsin, 30x48x12 with an insulated concrete floor (no building insulation) with a 6/12 pitched roof and plenty of lighting for $28k. That said, it took me 4 months of nights and weekends to get it done. I had a crew of 5 buddies that worked for pizza and beer to set trusses and had one person help me hanging roof steel, otherwise it was a one-man operation. I ladder framed the walls so I could set them myself.

This is a forum for people who build things themselves after all, so I guess it’s worth asking that question. That said, building airplanes is a lot less physically demanding than building buildings.

Can you build it yourself? I put up an outbuilding (not a hangar) in western Wisconsin, 30x48x12 with an insulated concrete floor (no building insulation) with a 6/12 pitched roof and plenty of lighting for $28k. That said, it took me 4 months of nights and weekends to get it done. I had a crew of 5 buddies that worked for pizza and beer to set trusses and had one person help me hanging roof steel, otherwise it was a one-man operation. I ladder framed the walls so I could set them myself.

This is a forum for people who build things themselves after all, so I guess it’s worth asking that question. That said, building airplanes is a lot less physically demanding than building buildings.
Two years ago, we built a workshop in southern Wisconsin using a kit from Menards. The building was 24x36 and the kit alone was $25k. No concrete, bare building.

My EAA chapter is in the process of putting in a hangar at KFMY. We're in the permits stage, so it'll be a while. But I think the budget is around $150K.

Also, I have a quote for a 56'w x 16'h Higher Power door, rated for Florida winds, at $24K. That's for the door structure only, no exterior panels, not installed.

we are building a 90 x 100 in Arkansas and we will be lucky to do it for $120/sqft. I'm guessing it will be more like $135/sqft when it is all said and done...
You must have some premium features.
Mine with insulation, HVAC, a large concrete ramp, and 50’ bifold three years ago was $85 sqft.

The OP is looking at a 75x75 building. I would suggest this is out of the scope for most DIY’rs, but, where there’s a will…..
I had a neighbor DIY a very nice 50x50. It took him a year working evenings and weekends.

The OP is looking at a 75x75 building. I would suggest this is out of the scope for most DIY’rs, but, where there’s a will…..
I had a neighbor DIY a very nice 50x50. It took him a year working evenings and weekends.

Just to keep this thread from taking a turn, there's no way I'm budling my own hangar. Not interested. Not happening.

I'm interested in costs associated with having steel structure built. Being in FL, there's no need for radiant heat. But I'd like for it to be insulated.

Regarding the $120-$135 sq ft number above, that equates to $675K-$760K for 75' x 75'. If those numbers are anywhere near accurate, I'm not building a hangar.

How does the cost of airport dirt near a typical city compare to the structure cost? What is the norm- leasing or buying the land?

Where at in AR? I'm in NWA and have kicked around the idea of a large box hangar or a row of T-hangars

Just to keep this thread from taking a turn, there's no way I'm budling my own hangar. Not interested. Not happening.

I'm interested in costs associated with having steel structure built. Being in FL, there's no need for radiant heat. But I'd like for it to be insulated.

Regarding the $120-$135 sq ft number above, that equates to $675K-$760K for 75' x 75'. If those numbers are anywhere near accurate, I'm not building a hangar.
This is my 60x60 built last year near Atlanta, GA (so prices have changed a bit). Building is from Arco Steel Buildings in Atlanta. It has 3" insulation throughout. All in with the Higher Power Door, building assembly crew fee, 4-5" concrete slab with 18" footers (72 yards of mud), lots of land clearing and prep, and basic electrical, the price came out around $62/sqft. I might be off a bit, I got sad and stopped adding up nickel and dime bills towards the end, but I'm within a few bucks per sqft of accurate. I self contracted the whole project, my first time... Between county permits and dealing with all the other subcontractors, I was a bit busy. I'm sure I saved a few bucks there by doing a lot myself. Dad helped me build and install the door, so Father/Son time was another benefit.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
Just as a reference point for regional hangar construction costs. My hangar in NE Tennessee was completed yesterday. It is a 46' x 48' x 12' pole barn with steel panel siding and steel roof on a concrete slab. It has a plumbing rough-in for a full bathroom, septic system including a pump tank, basic electrical, fully insulated with a metal ceiling. The concrete ramp is 46' x 30' with a 15' x 40' concrete taxiway and a Higher Power door.

Total cost was $154K, or $69.74 per square foot.

Last edited:
I was not a fan of the carport buildings for a long time but a friend built a 60 x60 and it is solid as a rock with two open ends. So last summer I poured a pad and had Carolina Carports build a 58x52x20 for me. These most attractive thing for me was they come and erect it. Took about a week including their insulation once they got started. I did some extra bracing and installed a Higher Power door (12x52) and have been pleasantly surprised with the building and quality. Building was a deal at roughly $22/ft installed but plus concrete, electrical, equipment rental, hanger door etc... all which i did on my own.

Attachments

• IMG_7174.jpeg
    IMG_7174.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7119.jpeg
    IMG_7119.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64

Lets start with some basics:
Assuming 5" concrete slab 75x75 thats 2344 cubic feet or (/27) 86.8 yards of concrete. National average price for concrete is about $120/yard + delivery fees depending on distance. Ignoring delivery fees that comes to $10416 for concrete. Not including excavation, site prep form work etc. Or to do it a different way, it appears that concrete contractors are charging about $18/sqft for concrete flatwork as a full service job. Or $101 250 just for the slab as a turnkey job. Even considering that it may take a week, thats a helluva profitable line of work to make almost $90k in labor in a week. The pour itself in 1 day and typically another day or 2 with a couple of guys to finish.

Now if you go to the Menards website and their "Design Center" you can design your own pole building or conventionally framed "garage". I did a plan 40' by 64' "garage" 12ft high walls, all 2x6 24" OC, with plywood sheathing on walls and roof and screw down metal on the walls and roof and R60 blown in insulation. No door. The quote came to about $38k for all the materials for the building envelope. Lumber, sheathing (5/8" plywood, no OSB), wall and roof metal, gutters etc. You are limited in width by the stock roof trusses. I did not try to go wider than 40', you might try and see what you get. Then you need a contractor to put up that materials package for you. If the building is fully sheathed it is way stronger and of course easy as pie to put on the metal since you can step anywhere and put a screw anywhere you like. Also better at keeping out rodents and a tighter weather envelope.

Doors are their own subject. There are one piece doors that can be built for way less money, one just needs to make a counterbalance system for it and put up tracks. The easy button is always going to cost the most.

DON'T tell you county/city permitting office it is going to be a hangar. The national building code, which Florida adopted, limits residential hangar size to 2,000 square feet. I built mine in 2019. It is 50 x 50, and had to partition 500sqft of it off with a firewall to meet code. If they figure out it's a hangar, you can try to get a variance, or switch to commercial standards. I didn't because I thought that required sprinklers, which are tough to pull off on a well. However, at that time under 5,000 square feet all it really requires is grease trap drains in the floor. I built in North Florida (Columbia County), your county/city will likely be different.

The prices I paid in 2019 have very little relevance today, and I'm glad I build it when I did. I paid to have the concrete and plumbing done, but erected the building with a kit from Durobeam, the electrical, and installed the Higher power door myself. It wasn't complicated, and I got to play with the big boy toys, mostly a 40ft reach forklift.

Oh, one other limitation - a residential hangar building cannot be higher than 20ft at the highest point. My sidewalls are 18ft, the door is 16ft x 45ft. The peak is actually 20ft 1 inch, but they didn't complain about the extra inch.

Mark

FWIW. As you can see from the above comments, hangar building costs have too many variables to get a single answer: location is major factor, be sure to include the price of the land if you're looking for total cost, local building rules and permits vary, features also vary widely between a bare bones T-Hangar and on up from there. In the Fort Worth, Texas area I was recently quoted $140/sq. ft. for a T-Hangar plus an ell to use as an office, shop, man cave. That's a little more than twice what I was quoted back in 2008.

Chris

Back