What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 360 A1A cold egt

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
I know I can change the orifices to lean this cylinder out, it's always 150 ish cooler than the others. Runs smooth LOP.

Is there a general rule of thumb for reducing or enlarging to obtain target egt?

See pic

Attachments

• 20240503_093427.jpg
    20240503_093427.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 39
"Target EGT" isn't really a thing -- it's highly dependent on the placement of your EGT probes, so comparing installation to installation isn't particularly meaningful, and even cylinder to cylinder on your own plane may not be a valid comparison if placement is slightly different.

That said, cylinder 4's CHT being so low, combined with low EGT, while you appear to be at cruise power stands out to me to suggest something's not quite right. I'd be suspicious of a dead spark plug (or wire) on one ignition in cylinder 4 than anything else.

1) When doing a mag check, do EGTs rise on all four cylinders when on each ignition? If you have a dead plug, you'll get an EGT drop on cylinder 4 on one of your ignitions (and the engine will run noticeably rough).
2) Do a GAMI lean test. If you don't have instrumentation problems and the cylinder is just richer than others, you should still get a peak that's similar to the other cylinders, just at a much lower fuel flow.

"Target EGT" isn't really a thing -- it's highly dependent on the placement of your EGT probes, so comparing installation to installation isn't particularly meaningful, and even cylinder to cylinder on your own plane may not be a valid comparison if placement is slightly different.

That said, cylinder 4's CHT being so low, combined with low EGT, while you appear to be at cruise power stands out to me to suggest something's not quite right. I'd be suspicious of a dead spark plug (or wire) on one ignition in cylinder 4 than anything else.

1) When doing a mag check, do EGTs rise on all four cylinders when on each ignition? If you have a dead plug, you'll get an EGT drop on cylinder 4 on one of your ignitions (and the engine will run noticeably rough).
2) Do a GAMI lean test. If you don't have instrumentation problems and the cylinder is just richer than others, you should still get a peak that's similar to the other cylinders, just at a much lower fuel flow.

Yeah meant target as in getting it up back to mid 13s like the others, that was 22 inches and LOP. I'll fly today and pull the data

If it has ALWAYS been that much lower than the others, then measure teh distance from the exhaust flange to the probes for all four cylinders - be that one is farther away! If it used to be fine, and suddenly it is lower, then something changed - mixture, leak, probe failing….

Actual EGT number is of little importance IMHO. Does #4 peak at the same time more or less when leaning? If so, its fine and may just be an instrumentation issue. If it peaks at a wildly different point when leaning then its something to be concerned about.

If it has ALWAYS been that much lower than the others, then measure teh distance from the exhaust flange to the probes for all four cylinders - be that one is farther away! If it used to be fine, and suddenly it is lower, then something changed - mixture, leak, probe failing….
Well going from an old school EI engine monitor to this I can see much more on this. Can't remember. All probes are within basically same distance

Back