What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.20.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

Rare Saturday edition ;^).
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------​

Splash Image
You will never regret building an RV-8 they are wonderful airplanes. I finished in 2014 after 9 years. They are so much more than C-172 and compared to Harvard they are faster by 40 kts climb better burn 10 us gal an hour. They lose a bit in cool factor but that goes away quick when you pay the bills. The blue one is mine. Built in Winnipeg. Good Luck Harvey
VAFDR_ 89 Jan. 19.jpg

Condition Inspection in One Day ...DanH entry in an older post.
Here in the southeast we have something called a "Waffle House Annual". Yeah, it's what you think...buy breakfast for an A&P, collect the signatures. The stains on the pages are bacon grease, not Aeroshell 5.
Even with serious, by-the-book inspection, there can be issues no mechanic can know about without tearing down components not typically dismantled. I mention this little detail because if you're the owner of a recent purchase, you need to decide if you want to meet the oversight requirement (i.e. the logbooks have signatures), or the "fly the children" standard for which a good checklist is just a place to start. Point is, if the airplane is new to you, and your mechanic suspects monkey business, put away your pride and pay him to take a look.
Easy example, Recently removed a propeller and found this. Yep, four threads engaged, and the one on the right is starting to deform threads. Installed by an A&P, according to the books. For sure that A&P had signed the last couple annuals. We don't typically remove propellers for CI's. And things got worse as I worked aft.
VAFDR_ 92 Jan. 20.jpg

Quick conduit question ...charlesmc RV-10
I understand having conduit on the fuselage sides. However, I see people putting conduit in where I've marked the red circles in the image below. My understanding is that this is the footwell for the backseats, so what electrical lines are coming out (or going in) right at the backseat individuals' feet? I've looked, but couldn't find specifics on what lines are being routed here.
Just wanted to understand this better before I start drilling.
VAFDR_ 90 Jan. 19.jpg

RV-8 Rear Baggage Area Access Mod (pics)
I took these pics over a decade ago, and stumbled across them on my laptop today. This was done on Don Christiansen's RV8 in North Texas. Really don't know any of the specifics, just uploading the pictures for you to look at and hopefully enjoy.
VAFDR_ 91 Jan. 19.jpg

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 93 Jan. 20.jpg

Last edited:
Back