What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….4.5.2024. Rest in Peace Mr. Bob Brashear.

Learned of the passing of Mr. Bob Brashear yesterday. He was one of the RV elders. There is a thread below if you have any Bob stories you would like to relate from the 80’s/90’s. A HUGE influence on my RV journey.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Sanded too much off of my cowling
working on fitting my cowling halves and have sanded a bit too much off. I wanted a gap of 3/32 and in a few spots it noticeably enlarges to about 1/16. Any suggestions on how to fill the gaps so that I can re-sand. The shim in the picture is .032
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.04.59 AM.png

The Passing of Mr. Bob Brashear

Reusable Oil Filter Mod …1949MGTC
I drilled four tiny holes in the top flange at 90 degrees. Works great.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.05.35 AM.png

Stick Deflection Thoughts …gordonwhite96
I have the same issue. This -6a was built in 1993, not sure when the EI oil & fuel guages were added. However...I'm now doing a full glass upgrade. The EI instruments are gone and the throttle and mixture knobs will move up to the panel. I included the draft panel layout to show the knob location. Also I'm 6'1, no way to get full stick deflection with two adults.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.06.58 AM.png

Exhuast tip security question? …rvmills PIREP
My turn-downs came with mounting screws, held on with metal locking nuts. I lost the the screws after removing them for the last races, and now need to find proper length replacements...but here's a couple photos. The aluminum spacer is just some added stiffening for my dual 3 into 1 exhaust. I don't think there is a flow issue for exhaust from the screw tails and nuts...perhaps it makes a nice swirl to enhance my airshow smokeI I'm the trail guy in the last photo
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.57.11 AM.png

Tip-up Weather Seal
I‘m sure this will become evident once I put the canopy frame in place, but looking for some wisdom ahead of that time. If I don’t plan on having the in-flight canopy jettison setup, is there any reason I can’t make the thin piece of angle that the weather strip sets on be one continuous piece and span the gap at the canopy hinge location? How high does the hinge rise up when open? Living in the Pacific Northwest, I’m just trying to get ahead of the rain. I’ve found many threads on the topic of leaks, but unfortunately all of the ”this is how I did it and it works great” posts I’ve found are super old and the pictures are no longer available.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.58.43 AM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.00.36 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back