What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flu Update ... Bronchial infection

Went to the rapid med for a second time in five days. They started me on amoxicillin for the next 10 days and gave me two steroid shots in the buttocks. Appropriate location as this flu has been kicking me in the buttocks for the past eight days.

Kick back and relax. The moderators can take care of things here. Only do what you and the family needs.

It once took me an entire month and three different antibiotics to get over a bronchial infection that turned into pneumonia.

Flu Shot???

The Doctor who saw me got the flu shot and he got the flu that I have. Said it’s one of the more brutal variants they’ve seen (B). Most of the patients he is seeing got the flu shot. Sent three people to the ER in the last four days. Day 6 laying in bed, staring at the ceiling. No fever. Sore throat, a little bit of rattling in the upper bronchial tube during coughs. Upper and lower lungs are clear. dr

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a nurse for 32 years. After being at the bedside of many sick patients over those years, I suspect my white blood cells look like the Michelin tire man.
The last time I was sick was 13 years ago and it was the flu. Sickest I had ever been. Just to get some relief, death was beginning to look like a viable option!
Many many years ago I started taking supplemental zinc, 50 mg tablets which are 455% of the RDA. I take half a tablet in the morning and half at night. Zinc has
antiviral properties. I don't know if this is why I've been ok now for so many years but I'm not about to quit. Another thing... I had a tiny wart on my left leg. I froze it off a couple times and it came back. After I started the zinc it eventually went away on it's own. Coincidence, I don't know but I'm of the thinking if it's not broke don't try to fix it.

Doug... Get rest and prayers for your speedy recovery! [ed. Will do and thank you Paul! This one has really been a kick in the teeth. v/r,dr]

Take your hat off and hang it on the bedpost, lay down and start drinking whiskey. Continue drinking whiskey until you see two hats.

Go to sleep. When you wake up you will be well!
I looked this up. Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking amoxicillin. The alcohol will stop amoxicillin from working. Moderation is the key. Might help you go to sleep. The alcohol wears off relatively quickly, but you are asleep, which is good when you’re sick, and the antibiotic is still there to fight off the infection. Not recommending it, but that’s probably what I would do too. Sleeping is always difficult when I’m sick.

Last edited:
DR: Rest up and lay low as long as you can, til you feel better. The wife has been batting something similar for 6-8 weeks now. Several rounds of antibiotics and steroids and she still hasn't kicked it. Probably going to have her back into the doctor this week for another round of drugs. [ed. Wow! I hope she gets feeling better. I'll keep on pushing the fluids and staring at the ceiling - not really much more I can do <g>. v/r,dr]

DR
I know you like F1 so watching the Australian GP if you haven't yet would kill a couple of hours. So from your VAF team here.

DR: box ,box, box.

Get better.
A

Went to the rapid med for a second time in five days. They started me on amoxicillin for the next 10 days and gave me two steroid shots in the buttocks. Appropriate location as this flu has been kicking me in the buttocks for the past eight days.

I'm just here to say you're lucky it hasn't been kicking you in the nuts for the past eight days.

- mark

[ed. got to look on the bright side of life!dr]

Doug, hoping you get some relief soon. About 5 weeks ago I came down with the flu and it was rough. Then a week later I wake up with a pinched nerve in my back and it has been the most debilitating thing I have ever encountered. The pain radiates from my back around my left hip and down the front of my thigh to my knee. My left leg is numb on the surface down to my knee. Walking has been the hardest because the pain manifest itself deep in my thigh. For the first three weeks I could not sleep in a bed. Had to sleep in a recliner. Have an MRI scheduled for 4/1 and a neurosurgeon visit on 4/9. Orthopedic docs said it ain't bone related so I am likely looking at an issue with a disc in the L2/L3 area of my lower spine. Sucks being in so much pain and having to work! On the bright side, it makes waiting on my finish kit easier to tolerate!

..... Then a week later I wake up with a pinched nerve in my back and it has been the most debilitating thing I have ever encountered. The pain radiates from my back around my left hip and down the front of my thigh to my knee. ......Have an MRI scheduled for 4/1 and a neurosurgeon visit on 4/9. Orthopedic docs said it ain't bone related so I am likely looking at an issue with a disc in the L2/L3 area of my lower spine. ...
Brian, I'm so sorry to hear about your back pain! I've had a little of that, but nothing like you've described. I can't imagine the pain. My wife had two fused in her neck ten years ago, with many months of her sleeping in the recliner just like you describe. It was miserable for her, just as I suspect it is with you. Sending my best thoughts and prayers for your speedy recovery friend!!!!!

Take your hat off and hang it on the bedpost, lay down and start drinking whiskey. Continue drinking whiskey until you see two hats.

Go to sleep. When you wake up you will be well!
Amen Mel but make might as well make it a really good Bourbon

Sure hope you start feeling better soon! Stay the course until you have had some "all better" days to avoid relapsing.

And good luck!

Dave

Good luck Doug! Hope you feel better soon. I had a bronchial infection in late January and it took me a while to finally beat it. As a kid, my dad had an old Polish remedy. He would make hot tea with a shot of whiskey and honey. I drank that, got under the covers and you would think I was in a sauna. I always felt better when I woke up though.
Take care of yourself.

Paul

Doug, hoping you get some relief soon. About 5 weeks ago I came down with the flu and it was rough. Then a week later I wake up with a pinched nerve in my back and it has been the most debilitating thing I have ever encountered. The pain radiates from my back around my left hip and down the front of my thigh to my knee. My left leg is numb on the surface down to my knee. Walking has been the hardest because the pain manifest itself deep in my thigh. For the first three weeks I could not sleep in a bed. Had to sleep in a recliner. Have an MRI scheduled for 4/1 and a neurosurgeon visit on 4/9. Orthopedic docs said it ain't bone related so I am likely looking at an issue with a disc in the L2/L3 area of my lower spine. Sucks being in so much pain and having to work! On the bright side, it makes waiting on my finish kit easier to tolerate!
I hear you WRT a pinched nerve. I woke up Christmas morning two years ago with a pinched nerve in my neck.

In my case the pain went across my shoulders and down my arm...it was horrible. Luckily, the doc thought stretching and PT could help. It took almost a year but it finally worked out.

Hope you feel better soon.

Back