What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12is Battery Amps

cozy

I'm New Here
RV-12is with the 912is Sport in the front. Just finished our Phase 1 hours and test cards, about 12 hours airframe & engine, single screen G3X, dual-axis autopilot and GTR 200. During our Phase 1 flights we would intermittently show "BATT AMPS" annunciation throughout all phases of flight and power settings showing anywhere from -1 to -4 under the Electrical info. Running lights and autopilot seemed to make no difference. Does anyone have any feedback on potential causes or solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Looks like you have intermittent power from the B generator/ regulator to the main bus. Voltage should be 3.8 or higher. First thing to do is to check for any loose connections going in and out of the B regulator and fuse box. Also make sure associated grounds there are clean on bare metal.

Last edited:
I had a plug not fully seated in the HIC module that would have me negative when landing lights were on steady. Have heard others report individual pins not fully seated in one of those plugs. Easy to check.

Check that the ground wire from the brake reservoir is going to Grounding Plane B (aircraft ground) on the fusebox (the fusebox's grounding plane on top). If its mistakenly connected to Ground Plane A (the "bottom" of the fusebox), then you will see a lower than expected voltage reading on the G3X and you will see a varying amount of discharging amps as well.

If you find that that is your problem, also inspect the Generator's two connectors (to the fusebox) for signs of melting or charring.

In normal flight, you may see a discharge of -1 or -2 when you initially (~10 seconds) turn on high-load devices like the landing lights. This is because the battery's voltage may be temporarily higher than the output of the alternator.. and some power will come out of the battery until the voltage is equal to that the alternator is outputting.

See my troubleshooting video from 2 years ago..maybe your symptoms are the same:

Last edited:
Back