What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rami antenna install - rubber gasket???

Drippy

Well Known Member
I have a pair of rami av17s installed on the belly of my RV10. Most of the winter I have been doing local flying - but am now starting the new travel season. I have been experiencing intermittent reception issue even in congested areas like west of DC. It seems to be good most of the timewith 5 over 5 reported, but other times I am flying around squelch off and being told I am coming in weak. No major changes to the plane other then an major Avydine SW update.

After my last trip - second one with complaints I removed both antenna and found moisture and a little belly oil under the main (IFD) radio antenna - between the antenna and skin. Also reviewing the install instruction I see a rubber gasket is called out, which I don’t have on either. I built the airplane and looked in my spare parts organizer and build photos and don’t see a rubber washer for either of my AV17s?

I cleaned up, reinstalled and re siliconed both antennas, but haven’t had a chance to fly outside my local area to see if I fixed the problem.

My question is do I need the rubber seal? Should I be ordering one for both antennas?

My primary radio is my avydine ifd540 radio which has been great for 700+ hours up to this point. But my other radio is a Dynon which has always had very limited range, but works well enough to receive ATIS ~40miles out.

Thanks

Back