What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Ignition or PMag

Humrnv

I’m currently overhauling the O-320 in my RV-6 and its current ignition is left mag is Lightspeed and right mag is a slickmag. My slickmag is way over the 500 hr insp and has corrosion on the gears and impulse coupler. I’m thinking about just replacing the slick mag with a new PMag and considering just replacing the light speed also for simplicity. The light speed was installed in 2000 so it’s about 24 years old. Nothing is wrong with it. I’m also doing a full panel replacement so updating wiring now would be easier now while building the new panel.

Any thoughts? Do I go both PMag, replace just the right mag, or send my slick out for inspection

Thanks
Ken

I’m currently overhauling the O-320 in my RV-6 and its current ignition is left mag is Lightspeed and right mag is a slickmag. My slickmag is way over the 500 hr insp and has corrosion on the gears and impulse coupler. I’m thinking about just replacing the slick mag with a new PMag and considering just replacing the light speed also for simplicity. The light speed was installed in 2000 so it’s about 24 years old. Nothing is wrong with it. I’m also doing a full panel replacement so updating wiring now would be easier now while building the new panel.

Any thoughts? Do I go both PMag, replace just the right mag, or send my slick out for inspection

Thanks
Ken
my vote is for dual pmags. Mine have been drama free for many years now and setting the timing is so simple.

Ken,
Given the corrosion , I would replace rather than send out the mag.
I'm mostly a "don't fix it if it's not broken or worn out" guy.
The new panel could incorporate switches that would accomodate either the Lightspeed or a PMag as well as a new PMag in place of the mag.
Running (and securing out of the way) any wiring to accommodate a second PMag for a possible down the road Lightspeed replacement would mostly future proof the new panel and associated wiring.

There are so many EI threads, start searching.

Personally I break ignition systems down into 3 categories:

1. Mechanical. Like mags.
2. Electro mechanical. Like mags but use (surefly) or use/generate electricity (pmags).
3. Electronic with crank position sensor. (Lightspeed, SDS, EFII, etc).

With each category you have pro's and cons.

1. Pros: simple, easy to install, everybody can work on them. Cons: static timing, mechanical parts can wear out, spark isn't the hottest, 500 hour mx.
2. Pros: simple, easy to install, ignition advance. Cons: mechanical parts can wear out. It's my understanding that pmag wants you to pull the mag for bearing inspection every year.
3. Pros: Completely configurable, no mechanical parts to wear out, annual inspection is look at the wires. Cons: Totally dependent on electrical system, more complex to install, depending on system requires panel space.

Out of all of them I chose the SDS CPI2. The reason is because I liked the idea of having a LOP button, completely customizable, nearly no mx, no bearings, and because it has its own little backup battery it maintains which makes the electrical system no more complex than any other system. I view it like a pmag but instead of backup generator, you have backup battery and everything is solid state instead of bearings and gears.

Pick whatever works for you, the point is to explain the different engineering approaches to all of the systems.

schu

I am a fan of P-Mags.... In Part the USA company has great customer support. There are some who for some reason are uber fans of one brand or the other. That is fine. My praise or P-Mag is in no way a slight against any other brand. But when it comes to facts, there is only ONE EI that is self powered. The installation of the P-Mag is simple. Again it is not a trivial thing that P-Mags are self powered. They are the only one. People dismiss it as not needed because they have extra batteries and/or alternators. Great. The P-Mag design is mature and been refined over 14 years on the market, with a lot in service. So well known with good reputation as a product and company.

BIGGEST SPARK IN THE BUSINESS.... Or "Spark is not the hottest"....

Performance claims by some on spark energy, are hard to verify and almost irrelevant. No one has done a controlled study, one plane** swapping out different EI's and collecting data. There is enough data in my opinion there is no quantum difference in performance, even the GOOD OL Magneto at high RPM and HIGH power is no slouch. Both MAGS and EI's will make about the same power at high power settings. Some RENO winners are running magnetos. The real advantages of EI are:

Strong retarded timing spark for easier starting;​
Timing advance sub 75% power (better econ),​
Strong spark energy at low and high RPM, enough to fire auto plug (with 0.035 or greater gap) under compression.​

We can get into duration, Joules. Again no controlled studies. All of the airplane EI's are HEI (High Energy Ignition). They all advance timing and all give Spark-O-Plenty. P-Mags needs no apologies about the spark energy. No difference in performance. ALL EI's are INDUCTIVE DISCHARGE except Lightspeed III which is CDI. I am not going to bash Lightspeed III, but would say the CDI is not really an advantage on a low RPM Aircraft engine. Not bad, just not necessary. If it turns you on, get it, will work dandy I am sure. Lightspeed II is inductive discharge ignition.

** There are RV's and other EAB's flying around with two different brands of EI's. There is no major difference in performance as I understand, when switching to just one ignition at a time, doing an A vs B test. Again no formal studies done, just anecdotal claims. If you talk to P-Mag, you do NOT get they feeling of any hype but good technical sober info. They don't get into apologetics or marketing making claims, but they are happy to answer your questions. They sell a bunch of them by reputation so there is that.

Yes some may claim "hotter" spark, whatever that means, more spark energy? How much. OK let's say there is hotter spark. There is only so much spark energy your engine can use or needs. At some point a bigger coil running higher input voltage reaches diminishing returns. All you are doing is using more electricity and hotter ignition coils (more likely to have shorter life). They all make volts in the range that is considered HEI (High Energy Ignition). They are all based on the Kettering inductive ignition principle around since 1912. All the EI's have enough volts to spark a automotive gap spark plug. This bigger spark gap will results in better combustion.

PMAG USES A FORD COIL

A bash of P-Mags is they use a Ford Coil? Well the coil they use came from Ford Rangers with EI system. However the engine was made by Mazda and the OEM coil likely Hitachi not Motorcraft. The Ford/Mazda 4 bangers Revs twice as fast and makes as much HP as a Lyc 360. It works. Common technology everyone uses. No magic or secrets. Do you think the millions of these coils automotive industry makes every year are not designed and made well. No EI on market makes their own coil. Even Magnetos use a coil from a car.

Also ALL the other EI's user CAR COILS... ACDelco, Denso, Bosch. Hitachi, NGK, MSD. Look at them. They are coil coils. The FORD COIL comments are not relevant. P-Mag is not the "hottest"? I don't know what that means in actual practical terms and use. Again HOT can be a waste and just use more ships electrical power, be heavy, hotter, shorter lived. All coils depend on input voltage and saturation, dwell time. If all is equal they are going to put out 35KV to 45KV. Your engine is not going to notice the difference.

FORM FIT FUNCTION - Brand X is "Completely Configurable"

I go back to P-Mag, ease of installation, customer support is great, and P-MAGS are self powered, an exclusive feature that gets glossed over. It is WWW Big Dot Deal. Not trivial. No other EI can do that. P-Mags are not primitive. The magic is deep and well thought-out. P-mag has internal fault detection. Some say oh yes I got extra battery, extra alternator to assure my electrically dependent ignition works. Yep.

The P-Mag is "completely configurable". Yes you can change all kinds of things. But people are enamored with panel mounded ignition controls. That is fine. If you must have some panel mounted monitor to control and configure your EI , OK. What do you need to configure once it is set up? I just want my EI to work with no monitoring or configuring in flight. Timing is automatic.

P-Mag can use the "EI Commander" (aftermarket 2nd party option designed to work with P-Mag). You can see the P-Mag is working, timing advance, make adjustments from panel. You don't need EI Commander to customize P-Mags internal programmed limits. You can get a free utility from P-Mag and with your Laptop make more deeper changes. However the stock P-Mag as programmed, with user selected jumpers and base timing set-up methods are more than ample for most people. Easy, fast and reliable to set up and safe.

For me I want my ignition to just work with no input from me, after it has been installed and timed, except turn it on or off. I just want engine to run and if EI stops working in flight I will know it without panel mounted monitor.

I don't need to CONFIGURE my timing as that is a GREAT way to blow up your engine. P-Mag is smarter than me when it comes to configuration. I have a lot of ways to tune and adjust to my preference. The main two are jumpers and base timing. I can change internal limits, but the sock settings are spot on.

The P-Mag hardware has been stable for a long time. There have been several SW versions updates, but nothing recent. These updates typically add features.

PMAGS HAVE MOVING PARTS.... "mechanical parts can wear out.", "Mechanical like a magneto" (FALSE)

Your whole engine has moving parts. To be clear P-MAGS ARE SOLID STATE, NO MOVING PARTS, NO ROTOR/CAP, POINTS. The hall effect trigger in the P-Mag has no wear parts.

Magnetos have mechanical rotor/cap distribution, points, internal gears that the P-Mag does not have.
If you include the magnet that many EI's have you drill or glue onto the ring gear wheel spinning around, than ALL EI's have moving parts.

Yes P-Mag does have a shaft that rides on bearing to the hall effect trigger magnet. BTW your crank and connecting rods and camshaft ride on bearings. This is such a non issue that it should be clarified. The P-Mag is a solid state electronic ignition, no rotor or points. OK not LIKE a magneto.

PMAGS REQUIRE INSPECTION

The biggest complaint people have (mostly not P-Mag owners) is you have to pull out the P-Mag and check the end play every annual. The actual inspection takes 60 seconds and is visual and feel. You already have cowl off, oil filter off during annual, it's and hour or two doing the P-Mag inspection. You get a good look at the wires, engine accessory case, gears.

Standard Magneto needs 500 hour check and replace some plastic parts as preventative maintenance. In an EAB you don't have to do that Slick/Bendix inspections. You don't need to do the P-Mag inspection. Some don't.

The P-Mag has internal electronic SELF FAULT monitoring and LED light to indicate a fault, like check engine light caution. If there is timing "jitter" or timing varies beyond allowed limits it will light an LED light, and likely not allow you use it after shutdown. That jitter could be too much bearing play. During run up you check the function of the P-Mag and the self powering feature. They have thought it all out for you.

Other EI's have magnets mounted on spinning wheel, pick up near ring gear teeth, fan belt and prop. All moving parts. ALTERNATOR BELT is right there. Let us imagine the alternator seizes and smokes the belt, flies off, and takes your trigger or wiring out.

The EI's with wires, triggers, magnets all over the engine compartment and cockpit, can become damaged over time.

I don't want magnets and pick-ups, coils and wires shotgun all over engine compartment and cockpit.. Wires, connectors, trigger, magnet press fit (friction) or bonded on a vibrating spinning mass after 10-15 years? Everything NEEDS inspection, and if needed repair or replacement. Every connector is a failure point.

SureFly, Electroair, CPI-II, Lightspeed II and II, FlyEFII and P-Mag are fine, but for me the overall P-Mag design, maturity, form/fit/function, performance, self powered and great customer service gave P-Mag the high score in my decision making, even with the perceived Cons. Brad and the staff are great. I recommend P-Mag. I am not smart enough to design and produce any EI better than the ones out there. So hats off to all the entrepreneurs who offer us many choices. I'm glad there are choices.

2. Pros: simple, easy to install, ignition advance. Cons: mechanical parts can wear out. It's my understanding that pmag wants you to pull the mag for bearing inspection every year.
3. Pros: Completely configurable, no mechanical parts to wear out, annual inspection is look at the wires. Cons: Totally dependent on electrical system, more complex to install, depending on system requires panel space.

Out of all of them I chose the SDS CPI2. The reason is because I liked the idea of having a LOP button, completely customizable, nearly no mx, no bearings, and because it has its own little backup battery it maintains which makes the electrical system no more complex than any other system. I view it like a pmag but instead of backup generator, you have backup battery and everything is solid state instead of bearings and gears.

Pick whatever works for you, the point is to explain the different engineering approaches to all of the systems.

sho

Last edited:
A buddy of mine started off life in his RV-8 with dual Lightspeed Plasma II+ ignitions, as did I (2001 timeframe). I had multiple failures with my install and pulled them at ~300 hours or so, replacing with dual pMags. My buddy had just one failure early on and support was problematic so he decided to replace it with a pMag.

The point is a pMag and Lightspeed will play well together, so that is an option for you. I would not do that, I’d just install two shiny new pMags.

Four builds, the first three flying pMags and the current RV-10 build will also have dual pMags (once I get the engine from Thunderbolt). The brand new shiny six cylinder pMags have been on the shelf for over a year waiting on the engine.

Carl

Just a data point. I have the LSE Plasma III (with the mini sensor) and an impulse coupled Slick mag on an IO-360-M1B on an RV-8. The airplane has 1455 Hobbs hours and there have been no problems with the LSE Plasma III EI. I change the auto plugs (Denso IK27) at the ACI and the ignition harness every 500 hours.

(I'll go knock on wood now!)

Thank yall for all the great information. I’m probably gonna go ahead and plan to just go with 2 pmags

PMAGS HAVE MOVING PARTS.... "mechanical parts can wear out.", "Mechanical like a magneto" (FALSE)

Your whole engine has moving parts. To be clear P-MAGS ARE SOLID STATE, NO MOVING PARTS, NO ROTOR/CAP, POINTS. The hall effect trigger in the P-Mag has no wear parts.

The p-mag has bearings and they recommend that you inspect them. Not sure why that counts as no moving parts. Also, there is a distinction between the 4 and 6 cylinder versions. The 6 cylinder version needs an internal gear reduction to stay clocked with the engine.

I don't want magnets and pick-ups, coils and wires shotgun all over engine compartment and cockpit.. Wires, connectors, trigger, magnet press fit (friction) or bonded on a vibrating spinning mass after 10-15 years? Everything NEEDS inspection, and if needed repair or replacement. Every connector is a failure point.

The magnet in the p-mag is no different. It’s pressed or bonded or whatever inside of the housing.

Speaking of hot vibrating things, I really like the idea of putting the electronics in the cockpit Instead of bolted to the engine. Don‘t the pmags have a temp strip on them to reveal how hot they got or was that something else.

Anyway not after the 16 page response or the heated debate. If you are cool with electronics bolted to the engine and don’t mind popping them off every annual then go for it. If you prefer electronics in the cockpit with the only thing moving a magnet, then there are other options.

I will say that designing an electrical system that is redundant is more complex than it sounds. For most people you will want at least one mag self powered. Personally I count the mag, pmag, and sds cpi2 as self powered.

I’m sure I’ll get pages about how that’s not true for the cpi2, but if the system maintains its own backup battery that is discrete from the rest of the system that powers the ignition for more hours than fuel in the tank I think that counts. It’s self powered like your phone or laptop are self powered.

Hope that helps OP and future readers understand the design decisions and pros/cons of each system. Anyone that tells you that one system is without cons is probably not being reasonable.

The p-mag has bearings and they recommend that you inspect them. Not sure why that counts as no moving parts. Also, there is a distinction between the 4 and 6 cylinder versions. The 6 cylinder version needs an internal gear reduction to stay clocked with the engine.

The magnet in the p-mag is no different. It’s pressed or bonded or whatever inside of the housing.

Speaking of hot vibrating things, I really like the idea of putting the electronics in the cockpit Instead of bolted to the engine. Don‘t the pmags have a temp strip on them to reveal how hot they got or was that something else.

Anyway not after the 16 page response or the heated debate. If you are cool with electronics bolted to the engine and don’t mind popping them off every annual then go for it. If you prefer electronics in the cockpit with the only thing moving a magnet, then there are other options.

I will say that designing an electrical system that is redundant is more complex than it sounds. For most people you will want at least one mag self powered. Personally I count the mag, pmag, and sds cpi2 as self powered.

I’m sure I’ll get pages about how that’s not true for the cpi2, but if the system maintains its own backup battery that is discrete from the rest of the system that powers the ignition for more hours than fuel in the tank I think that counts. It’s self powered like your phone or laptop are self powered.

Hope that helps OP and future readers understand the design decisions and pros/cons of each system. Anyone that tells you that one system is without cons is probably not being reasonable.
Great points. The very early early P-Mags had some issues with magnets. That was corrected a long time ago. I did not know about the P-Mag gear reduction on the 6-Banger.

Yes you make a great point and a Con if you will for the P-Mag. It is vibrating, it is hotter than a box in the cockpit. True. If you don't think your CPI-2, Lightspeed, Eleectroair, etc, boxes heat up under the panel or get HOT... Touch it. A lot of the heat is generated by current running through it alone.

Vibration you got me. However P-Mag did a lot engineering to address this. They did not just throw it together. They are pretty smart. A Light speed or CPI-2 might not last long bolted to the engine, but they were not designed for thst. The P-Mag was.

P-Mag reliability is well known and appears to be on par or even better than other EI. Data hard to come by. The heat is the OIL that splashes on the P-Mag from inside the accessory case. So the recommend cooling that area. However the PRO and trade off is you don;t have wires and connectors and components shot-gunned all over with firewall penetration's. If you follow P-Mags recommendation you will have a reliable EI despite heat and vibrations.

As far as bearing wear yes the reason for being so picky and hyper cautious is the clearance of the magnet to sensor. It does not mean catastrophic issues. What gets confused is the early E-Mag and P-Mags magnet mounting, That has long been corrected.

Anyone that tells you that one system is without cons is probably not being reasonable.

Are you saying I said there was no Cons of the P-Mag? , “You talkin' to me?”. Robert De Niro in "Taxi Driver". Ha ha... I assume you are since you quote me. No one said that, at least not I. Read what I wrote. Reasonable is how I would say it. I corrected the typical so called CONS of the P-Mag which are false or overblown, like your heat and vibration.

So you admit all EI have cons? OK. Agree. They all make a ,more than sufficient "Hot" spark so engine runs smoothly, and frankly not all the much better than a magneto overall. What they ALL DO is have high spark energy at starting, advance timing at lower power, and don't have cap/rotor/points. It is just electronic ignition that has been around since early 1970's. In 1987 General Motors introduced distributor-less EI systems or DIS in several models of GM cars. Before that the EI's still used a cap and rotor.

Jeff Rose in the late 80's and 90's offered the first distributor-less electronic ignitions for experimental airplanes. It was tested in a Mooney by Cafe' Foundation against the standard Magnetos. Interesting results. The Mags were the top of line pressurized high power ones, not bottom shelf Slicks.

Lightspeed in the late 80's came out with a EI configuration that most others follow. Light speed offers a trigger sensor driven off the magneto drive.

P-Mag came along around 2014 and and was unique integrated package, self powered using the magneto drive. What I like about P-Mag is they absolutely will not bash any other product and don't do market hype. They will answer any question and concern about their product.

SDS / CPI-1 came later, from a car guy turned RV-6 Subaru powered builder in Canada. SDS also offers electronic fuel injection. If you go to SDS website you see a list of benefits that implies exclusive or at least better than other EI's. Not sure what EI they are referring to? Kickback? Some of the items I think are directed at P-Mag (likely SDS's biggest competition), The comments on SDS web page can lead to misunderstanding.

Electroair, bought Jeff Rose, are certified STC'ed for use on standard catagory planes, but can be used on EAB's. Thee offer lower price for EAB customers. They only use the magneto drive trigger. The current products look nothing like the original Jeff Rose product. Electroair is not as popular with EAB community I think? They claim to have the hottest spark of anything out there, like two times what you need to fire a plug.

FlyEII is another EI for EAB's out of California. They also claim to spit fire higher than any EI out there. Some RV builders have them. Also like SDS the FlyEII has FlyEFI, offers Electronic Fuel Injection system as well.

SUREFLY came along out of nowhere in the last few years. Based in Texas, it has certified EI's, and of course can be used on EAB's. They recommend using aircraft plugs. One advantage of EI's that use car plugs is cost of plugs. Also automotive plugs have more gap, and thus a bigger spark. The SUREFLY resembles a P-Mag in that it drives off but is not self powered. I know 0.0 about Surefly's specs or performance. They charge the same for the certified and EAB customers. The price is the price, what ever that is?

An article in Kit Plane listed all of the EI, many I never heard of. Some cane be made from an automotive MSD CDI aftermarket ignition for the roll your own folks.
This is Kit Planes Take:

Honorable or dishonorable mention, depending on your opinion, Unison LASAR electronic ignition system, an early FAA-PMA approved EI. It "coupled Slick magneto technology with a microprocessor based electronic ignition control." This was back in the late 1990's. Not a big success. I distinctly remember when it entered the market people had high CHT complaints. Some liked them, even some on RV's.

Bottom line if you keep it to facts (which are hard to come buy) and don't listen to any sales hype, especially bash of competition, do your research, ask actual owners what they think, repeat OWNERS with significant time with that EI, you will come out OK. There is no perfect unit. For me ease of installation, support and overall great benefit of EI was my reason for going P-Mag, If I was buying a used EAB with any other EI or even magnetos, it would not be a deal breaker. If you already have magnetos working well, consider just sticking with it. One EI and one Magneto is a good combo. You only get a tiny benefit going to a second EI.

Last edited:
Just a data point. I have dual p-mags on my RV14's IO-390 thunderbolt. Just had to have them both overhauled with just over 500 hours on them - I discovered the 'play' on the shafts while doing my annual last November. One was very noticeable, the other not quite as much. Cost to do rebuild was about $700. I was pretty disappointed.

That said, the p-mag folks were very helpful on diagnosis (and, with guidance on re-installation, etc) and were prompt to turn-around the rebuild. They also told me the 'new' models have stouter bearings, so reading between the lines, I assume I was not the first customer to have the short-ish life issue with them. I debated even posting this - but thought others with p-mags should know not to neglect inspecting them annually. I would still use them again if I needed to (but, I am using the DeltaHawk engine in my current project - so, no mags needed!), and I agree with the other folks that have said good things about the customer service side of P-Mag.

I have an RV-6 with one PMag and one Lightspeed Plasma III.

No issues in the 2 years I've owned it. I'd recommend leaving the Lightspeed and just replacing the Slick magneto with a Pmag.

--Ron

Just a data point. I have dual p-mags on my RV14's IO-390 thunderbolt. Just had to have them both overhauled with just over 500 hours on them - I discovered the 'play' on the shafts while doing my annual last November. One was very noticeable, the other not quite as much. Cost to do rebuild was about $700. I was pretty disappointed.

That said, the p-mag folks were very helpful on diagnosis (and, with guidance on re-installation, etc) and were prompt to turn-around the rebuild. They also told me the 'new' models have stouter bearings, so reading between the lines, I assume I was not the first customer to have the short-ish life issue with them. I debated even posting this - but thought others with p-mags should know not to neglect inspecting them annually. I would still use them again if I needed to (but, I am using the DeltaHawk engine in my current project - so, no mags needed!), and I agree with the other folks that have said good things about the customer service side of P-Mag.
Delta hawk. Keep us updated please.

Yes at some point they changed the bearings. Stouter? I talked to Brad. They are different but the previous pre stout bearings are totally fine. The between the lines is they made a change for incremental improvement. As far as the above 500 hrs bearing that is short. Why one wears faster and others don't I assume is engine differences, vibration and heat.

I find it interesting that Surefly uses bearings that last 2,400 hours. I wonder why P-Mag can't find bearings that last longer.

I find it interesting that Surefly uses bearings that last 2,400 hours. I wonder why P-Mag can't find bearings that last longer.
Disclaimer = neither a PMag nor Surefly owner or disciple.

My theory = From an application standpoint, it comes down to loading.

One rotating device is merely setting a timing mark. The counter-torque is essentially nil and should be very consistent.

Other device utilizes permanent magnets so there will be a counter-torque even when not exporting power. Even with multiple poles, there is still a degree of inconsistent counter-torque ("cogging") . This would introduce some degree of bearing dynamics which will decrease L10 bearing life. Could be some rotational dynamics as well -> What would have been a good bearing application isn't with these added derating influencers. That said, still not an excuse to not have a proper bearing application.

That's my theory and sticking to it for now. If someone has more in depth analysis, I'm ready to learn.

Forgive this intrusion, but my experience from the last eight years of media work has refined my way of reading media and made me a tad anal about certain technicalities. (I still have a lot of improvement needed myself in that regard.)

There is no such thing as a "P-Mag".

A company called E-Mag produces several products referred to by either their specific product designation such as "series 200-6XL" (for the Lycoming 6 cylinder model) or collectively as "E-Mags".

The term "P-Mag" is just a nickname derived from the marketplace during a brief time in the company's early history that they produced both powered and unpowered variants. Currently, all E-Mags produced are self powered.

The P-Mag reference is so pervasive that Brad even admits to having been caught using it a time or two, however the company still prefers the use of its official nomenclature.

Back to the (interesting) thread.

Last edited:
I have a Pmag with 800 hours on the right side and a SureFly with 500 hours on the left side, with no problems from either. One difference that comes to mind is the Pmag has an internal alternator spinning on it's bearings, while the SureFly being externally powered doesn't.

You make great points but taking my points with a reverse spin, no pun intended. Yes how magnets are mounted are the same? OK. All EI have them spinning? OK. That is my point, same same. All have "MOVING" magnets. I am addressing the criticism or of P-mags moving parts. Not going to repeat. The ignition is state of the art, semi conductor, solid state no moving parts (except 6 cylinder version). P-Mags have proven to be reliable and failure rare. They do fail I am sure, don't hear much, but ALL EI's can and do fail, including Lightspeed and CPI-II.

Wear Parts:

There is no getting around P-Mag uses bearings that can wear. Wear DEPENDS on the engine. Analogy: Hartzell discovered 25 yrs ago that EAB's with high compression and EI had a bigger power pulse that caused their props to vibrate which reduced design fatigue life, so they developed the Blended Airfoil. The same with accessories. They have to be engineered for torsional vibrations, harmonics, impulses. P-Mag did a great job at that. The bearings may wear faster on one engine than another. Wear does not make it inoperable or fail, but it causes it to be out of Spec. You catch it early to maintain magnet / sensor gap tolerances. Engineering you set tolerances to be maintained. P-Mags are engineered not thrown on the back of engine without thought. So as you suggest check the play.

I mentioned the EI Commander, 2nd party panel mounted monitor that exploits the P-mags serial output. The monitor apparently tracks timing of each and between two P-Mags. If there is a change of one P-Mag or delta between the two it may indicate issue. They claim this shows wear and they say checking is no longer needed. This is not P-Mags thing. They don't bash the panel mounted device, just that it's not needed. Adding more panel indicators is not inline with the design philosophy. P-Mag has internal fault detection and will throw error code detected by LED on P-mag. P-Mag self power, simple installation and operation with all the benefits of Electronic Ignition makes the periodical inspections and potential for bearing replacement down the road a good trade off. How many back up batteries will go through in 2000 hours or 10 or 20 years?

Vibration:

Yes P-Mag engineers know this and designed it for this as stated in wear parts Par. It was a huge challenge. If you bolted another EI box on the engine it would likely fail. P-Mag. Electronics can work in high heat and vibration environments but need to be designed for it. As I said if this bothers you, than the P-Mag is not for you. The wear of bearings (which is normal) is clearly the most technically challenging. The change to bearing design is minor and P-Mag does not recommend upgrading.

Cooling:

Yes that point applies to all EI's including P-Mag, so yes P-Mag recommend some airflow, blast tube. As you state you should keep your EI box cool even if behind the panel. It gets hot along with the other electronics. Clearly P-Mag had more challenge in the design. Cooling (and vibration) was designed in and tested for, with almost 2 decades of field service. Appreciate that fact, they did a good job.

Self Powered:

I'd correct your list to Magnetos (Slick, Bendix) and P-Mag are ONLY self powered units on market... CPI-II is not self powered but has an integrated backup battery option. As well thought out and clever it needs a battery. This of course adds WEIGHT. You likely have a glass panel? Another back up battery in addition to starter battery. Lot's of batteries, busses, switches.

Example: The darling of aviation a few years ago, Dimond $1.5M propeller Twin DA62 powered by converted Mercedes-Benz diesel automotive engines, 100% electrically dependent electronic fuel and ignition. One or two already have gone down due to electrical issue induced by dumb pilot tricks. One was egregious, dead batteries, jumped them, started, took off. The previous version of the plane DA42 had a bunch of accidents due to engine loss of power, some electrical related. No Cessna or Piper I know of has had loss of engine power because the alternator or battery went kaput. Independence from ships power is kind of a good thing.

As you point out, if you DO NOT keep your battery (batteries) maintained and routinely (load) tested and replace them proactively, you might have false security, as you allude to. This is not a bash on CPI-II but battery maintenance is maintenance. It is like bearing checks. As I said once a year take a look at play of bearings. You may find other unrelated things in the area because you are inspecting that area. It's what we do with airplanes, inspect them. Pretty routine and you have to do a lot of inspections anyway. BTW price batteries lately?

EXAMPLE: I have a motorcycle and meet with my buddies for a group ride from time to time. One guy could not start his bike after we stopped for a break. He started bike at home, but it was on a trickle charger. After the break battery was dead dead dead dead. You have to load test your battery as if your life depends on it, be very picky. This is the P-Mag bearing thing, be very prickly, overly cautious. I do NOT trickle charge my batteries continuously. There are smart trickle chargers, I have one. They may be better and promise not to hurt the battery. However they mask battery problems. If my battery does not hold a charge, over a few weeks off a charger, it is a problem.

For some reason P-Mag gets the most criticism that is either not accurate, fair, or over hyped, by people who never owned or operated a P-Mag. When you defend the points people get triggered. One reason is marketing from other EI brands. That is their right to SELL their product. Fine. I get it. SELL YOUR BRAND... P-Mag does not do any selling or marketing and never talks about other EI's. The other reason P-Mag is a target, it's unique and successful as the ONLY self powered EI. So it is a target by the competition. The last reason is the original series, had some issues, magnet mounting, losing timing setting. Corrected with minor changes, software, etc, and those improvements become the current Series 114, which has been out a long time.
https://emagair.com/114-series/ ( SDS, Lightspeed, all evolved and improved their first offerings)

That is one point no one can take away from P-Mag, can't ignore advantage or discount the exclusive self powered feature of the P-Mag, It was not easy to design, make and bring to market. None of the EI's were easy to design, manufacture and market. However P-Mag had more technical challenges with aforementioned vibration and heat. I take my hat off to all of the EI brands. I would fly with any of the proven non-self-powered EI's (with sufficient back up, redundancy and maintenance). It is not an issue but is a compromise in complexity, installation, weight and added battery maintenance. However no bearing inspection. Trade offs. Up to you.

Performance:

Marketing aside, what will it take to get all the top electronic ignitions in one plane (swap out) and do comparison flight test? You just don't see a thirst for that. I guess (yes guessing here) performance will be close, take away some hype, hottest spark, blah blah blah. However who knows. All EI's have measurable improvement in fuel Econ over Magnetos (if flown at altitude at less than 75% power). All report ease of starting. What is the savings with one EI? Over the years I have read claims of 4% or 9% or in-between? The lower numbers tend to be from users. Higher numbers from manufactures. Adding a 2nd EI may be 1% or 2% better? The ONLY rigorous test I know of was a 2 Part test with articles in EAA magazine, with an early Jeff Rose Ignition vs, Magnetos in a Mooney by the Cafe' Foundation. Many variables but recall EI was about 4% better at best. The test by the way used the top of the line series high energy Bendix magnetos, may be also pressurized. Details in article. There were many flight conditions and power settings where the EI was not better, same as the Magneto. The difference of Fixed Timing vs Advanced Timing at lower power one of the big advantages of the EI, variable timing. (I don't want to get into claims of super superior advance mapping from one brand to another. They all use RPM and Manifold pressure. How they go from base timing to max advance is not "proprietary" or rocket science. Again marketing. The ones where you can endlessly adjust and customize advance might cause you grief and blown engine if you are not careful and know what you are doing, The P-Mag does have adjustments, options in set up. It also has an optional ability of in-flight change for LOP operations. Personally it goes against my need for the ignition to just works without input or monitoring from me.)

MAGNETOS spark output at high RPM is very decent .The EI's may have higher energy, but diminishing returns. How much energy do you need for an efficient strong spark. Higher spark energy may just be wasted and result in hotter coils and more current drain. If you are on your emergency backup battery power only, that might not be ideal situation. If you are running your glass panel off that emergency buss as well how long can you fly? May be a long time. Fine. Aircraft Engines are low RPM not Formula 1 race car engines. I don't recall if Cafe' Foundation used Aircraft Sparkplugs when testing the EI. There is a performance advantage with center electrode automotive design. NGK (most common choice for EI Plugs), is also a significant cost savings. Price aircraft plugs lately. Ouch. That is why you clean and reuse them over and over until the electrode is football shape. NGK you could just toss and put new ones in. I was skeptical about using automotive plugs with adapter bushings in aircraft engines in the beginning. I thought without massive electrode the automotive sparkplugs and adapter bushing might run too hot. I was wrong. It has been well established over more than 20 years they work well.

The issue with this test is time, money and getting the ignitions to swap in and out. The swap may be laborious, especially EI'S with a lot of installation provisions. Also need a plane volunteered. It would be interesting. Otherwise don't worry, stick with magnetos or pick one EI or two, write a check, put it in, go fly.

Last edited:
Forgive this intrusion, but my experience from the last eight years of media work has refined my way of reading media and made me a tad anal about certain technicalities. (I still have a lot of improvement needed myself in that regard.)

The is no such thing as a "P-Mag".

A company called E-Mag produces several products referred to by either their specific product designation such as "series 200-6XL" (for the Lycoming 6 cylinder model) or collectively as "E-Mags".

The term "P-Mag" is just a nickname derived from the marketplace during a brief time in the company's early history that they produced both powered and unpowered variants. Currently, all E-Mags produced are self powered.

The P-Mag reference is so pervasive that Brad even admits to having been caught using it a time or two, however the company still prefers the use of its official nomenclature.

Back to the (interesting) thread.

You are correct the company is E-Mag Air. However P-Mag is not a "nickname" but the product name. At one time they had two products E-Mag and P-Mag. The E-Mag was not powered. The P-Mag is. Now they only make and sell the P-Mag. So technically it is the "Series 114" not P-Mag. You are correct, but E and P were used in past to denote difference..

If you have an "E-Mag" (unpowered no "P") it can be upgraded, but they may just replace it for a fair price if your old one is not upgradable. NOTE: I am not a Rep or have any stake in E-Mag Air, my comments are mine alone. The website is emagair.com. I just use P-Mag because it seems people know what that means, and if I use E-mag Air Series 114 it may not be understood. On the web site they use the term P Models.

Last edited:
Great dialogue here, except sometimes the good data gets lost with the "defensive" approach. I jsut a penned a column on ignition systems for Kitplanes, which will come out soon.
Here are my thoughts:
ALL of the ignition systems have strong points and weak points. I have seen failures on all of them. That, to me, doesn't mean any one of them is better or worse than any other one. Magnetos have been around forever, perhaps with even trillions of flght hours, and yet we still see failures, whether from poor mantenance, untested applications (yep, there are lots of those in the amateur-bult world), or manufacturing changes/quality. Some owners like to tout how reliable their new electronic ignition system is after a few hundred hours, which I think is only an accurate data point for their particular aircraft. Period. The amateur built aircraft right next to theirs will never be exactly a like, even when built by the same owner. There are just too many variables. Look at how EI and high compression pistons affected props early on. Nobody expected that!

Here is my stance on anything electronic, learned from a lifetime in technology, as well as aircraft. I never use the same system as a backup in a critical application. As an example, I've never had a failure of my Advanced Flight Systems EFISs in flight, yet I have them backed up with a Garmin G5 and an Avidyne 550.

I also consider the ignition system a pretty critical system. I like the advantages of EI, and always use one, backed up by a magneto. I'd be OK with a second EI by a different manufacturer as well.

Most recently, on the way to SNF, I put the Hummingbird helicopter into a cowfield due to the failure of the Surefly EI. (You will be reading about the details in an upcoming Sport Aviation column). I've put dozens of these Sureflys on other aircraft, and have found them to be reliable and work well. By any measure I should have been comfortable placing TWO on the Hummingbird. But that would have broken my own rules.

For those of you using two of the same thing, you might reconsider. My two cents, based upon experience. :)

(I know some of you are wondering why I had to put the helicopter down with a failure of only one ignition system. Unlike in an airplane, where you can check your ignitions, turn off the offending one, and continue on your way, you can't do that in a helicopter. There is no slipstream or propeller mass to keep the engine spinning, and the engine immediately decouples from the transmission and stops rotating immediately. It's almost impossible to get it restarted, and you are now focused on an auto-rotation. So, you don't dare touch the ignitions. In this case, the gears had failed inside the Surefly, so the messed up timing was causing severe vibrations, necessitating a reduction in power to almost nothing.)

Vic

You are correct the company is E-Mag Air. However P-Mag is not a "nickname" but the product name. At one time they had two products E-Mag and P-Mag. The E-Mag was not powered. The P-Mag is. Now they only make and sell the P-Mag. So technically it is the "Series 114" not P-Mag. You are correct, but E and P were used in past to denote difference..

If you have an "E-Mag" (unpowered no "P") it can be upgraded, but they may just replace it for a fair price if your old one is not upgradable. NOTE: I am not a Rep or have any stake in E-Mag Air, my comments are mine alone. The website is emagair.com. I just use P-Mag because it seems people know what that means, and if I use E-mag Air Series 114 it may not be understood. On the web site they use the term P Models.
GMC
A little background. When I installed my recent E-mag, I decided to write an article about it. In the rough draft of the article, I used P-Mag like many so commonly do.
In fact if you look at my placard photo you can see even it says P-Mag.
However, since there were some technicalities that I wanted to be sure were correct, I sent a draft of the article to Brad.
Included in his review of the article was a request that I change all of my references of P-mag to the correct E-mag. He is the one who called it a nickname that even he had been caught using in the past but as a company they were trying to get the correct name used. (Likely for legal reasons). Maybe it's too late for that.

Delta hawk. Keep us updated please.

Yes at some point they changed the bearings. Stouter? I talked to Brad. They are different but the previous pre stout bearings are totally fine. The between the lines is they made a change for incremental improvement. As far as the above 500 hrs bearing that is short. Why one wears faster and others don't I assume is engine differences, vibration and heat.
gmcjetpilot - If you have an interest in the DeltaHawk project we're doing, check out the DeltaHawk thread on the RV14 page. Lots of good stuff there. thanks for the interest.

And, again for this thread - in spite of the issue I had with the p-mags (bearings), I'd use them again if I had the opportunity as my case seems to have been a bit of an anomaly, and as importantly, the folks at p-mag were great from a service standpoint.

I recently replaced my Slick mags with Emags and could not be happier. Customer support is superb. Getting rid of the impulse coupling was a relief. No more concern about it blowing up and grenading the engine.

For those of you using two of the same thing, you might reconsider. My two cents, based upon experience. :)

I'm curious, what system or device have you experienced dual failures in both the main and aux at the same time? To be clear, I'm not talking about a power failure or a fuse that takes out multiple systems, I'm talking about dual G5s or dual AFS EFISs or dual radios etc that are identical that have failed at the same time that isn't a power issue that would take out any secondary of dissimilar type.

I deal with tech too and know my way around electronics and I can't think of a case where two things of the same type failed at the same time. I've seen two things fail within 100's of hours of each other, but not in the same 10 hours. I suppose software failure could be a thing, have you seen screens reboot at the same time? Or two emags lose timing at the same time? I'd like to know more.

Most recently, on the way to SNF, I put the Hummingbird helicopter into a cowfield due to the failure of the Surefly EI. (You will be reading about the details in an upcoming Sport Aviation column). I've put dozens of these Sureflys on other aircraft, and have found them to be reliable and work well. By any measure I should have been comfortable placing TWO on the Hummingbird. But that would have broken my own rules.

Installing two surefly mags would require a completely redundant electrical system because they don't have any kind of backup power built into the system. I discourage people from doing this as it usually results in switches, bus ties, diodes, and other stuff that needs to be correctly engineered, installed, and configured on a fault. It doesn't sound like much and many people do it, but it's harder than it sounds.

My rule is that at least one source of ignition must be self powered and for me that means a real mag, an e-mag, or the CPI2 which has it's own battery backup that isn't used for anything else and automatically takes over. My rule states that I should be able to survive a main bus short to ground without the engine missing a beat.

I'm curious, what system or device have you experienced dual failures in both the main and aux at the same time? To be clear, I'm not talking about a power failure or a fuse that takes out multiple systems, I'm talking about dual G5s or dual AFS EFISs or dual radios etc that are identical that have failed at the same time that isn't a power issue that would take out any secondary of dissimilar type.

I deal with tech too and know my way around electronics and I can't think of a case where two things of the same type failed at the same time. I've seen two things fail within 100's of hours of each other, but not in the same 10 hours. I suppose software failure could be a thing, have you seen screens reboot at the same time? Or two emags lose timing at the same time? I'd like to know more.
Ever hear about the F-22s crossing the international dateline on their first deployment. Everything went belly up.
Yes, I have lost both G3X screens simultaneously TWICE, in 2 different airplanes while in IMC. As I said, my practices are based upon experiences.
Vic

I've troubleshot and fixed common software faults that take out both systems in safety critical applications so it definitely is a legitimate scenario for two of the same box to fail. See the Ariane 5 first launch for an example of both IMUs failing at the same time due to a common software fault. I would definitely assume two G3X Touch screens or two GSU 25 ADHARS could fail simultaneously, that's why I have a G5 that supposedly has a dissimilar codebase. If I had two electronic ignitions, I'd definitely want them running in separate controllers and not sharing any data. Two PMAG or Surefly EIS ignitions? Lots of folks are running that succesfully. Not for me though, I'm building with one Surefly and one traditional mag.

-Bob

Yes, I have lost both G3X screens simultaneously TWICE, in 2 different airplanes while in IMC. As I said, my practices are based upon experiences.
Vic
That's a pretty serious condition, what was determined to be the cause of these failures???

Installing two surefly mags would require a completely redundant electrical system because they don't have any kind of backup power built into the system. I discourage people from doing this as it usually results in switches, bus ties, diodes, and other stuff that needs to be correctly engineered, installed, and configured on a fault. It doesn't sound like much and many people do it, but it's harder than it sounds.
This is the Achilles heel for dual, ship powered EI installs that I’ve seen. It can be done, but needs careful planning.

While there are as many backup battery schemes out there, they all rely on the aircraft owner to understand how they work and to maintain them such that he/she has confidence that they will work as designed. Then periodically test the system. So far I’ve found achieving these criteria difficult for some owners. Yes - I have found an RV with an electrial dependent engine with a total dead EI backup battery. This plane was a single failed switch or connector away from falling out of the sky. The backup system was installed exactly per the EI manufacture’s requirements. I know of an RV with 5 avionics backup batteries that twice landed with a dark panel.

The knee jerk to “add yet another backup battery“ for the engine, EFIS, Avionics, etc. is, in my opinion, out of hand. Many, as pointed out in the above post, require non-trivial pilot action to keep the engine running and/or continued IFR flight.

What I recommend to builders is to take a step back and look at their electrical power distribution as a system. First determine total demand (amp-hrs) for the mission, then create a design that gets power from the batteries to where it is needed. Now overlay practical backup modes when a component (solenoid, alternator, ground lead, switch, etc.) fails. The point is standard ship batteries are the most reliable provider of electrial power in the plane (assuming they are maintained). The system design must provide for backup modes (modes, not necessarily batteries) to get the power to where it needs to go with little or no pilot action.

Carl
Dual pMags
Redundant electrical power design with no backup batteries

Carl

One was a known bug (not publicly disseminated!) and one was the ADAHRS.
Time frame of the secret 'bug'?
And the AHRS fail, a little more detail would be nice to know, ie: was it just loss of a single AHRS data or what?

Last edited:
This is the Achilles heel for dual, ship powered EI installs that I’ve seen. It can be done, but needs careful planning.

While there are as many backup battery schemes out there, they all rely on the aircraft owner to understand how they work and to maintain them such that he/she has confidence that they will work as designed. Then periodically test the system. So far I’ve found achieving these criteria difficult for some owners. Yes - I have found an RV with an electrial dependent engine with a total dead EI backup battery. This plane was a single failed switch or connector away from falling out of the sky. The backup system was installed exactly per the EI manufacture’s requirements. I know of an RV with 5 avionics backup batteries that twice landed with a dark panel.

The knee jerk to “add yet another backup battery“ for the engine, EFIS, Avionics, etc. is, in my opinion, out of hand. Many, as pointed out in the above post, require non-trivial pilot action to keep the engine running and/or continued IFR flight.

What I recommend to builders is to take a step back and look at their electrical power distribution as a system. First determine total demand (amp-hrs) for the mission, then create a design that gets power from the batteries to where it is needed. Now overlay practical backup modes when a component (solenoid, alternator, ground lead, switch, etc.) fails. The point is standard ship batteries are the most reliable provider of electrial power in the plane (assuming they are maintained). The system design must provide for backup modes (modes, not necessarily batteries) to get the power to where it needs to go with little or no pilot action.

Carl
Dual pMags
Redundant electrical power design with no backup batteries

Carl
Dual batteries, you just said the battery is the most reliable component, so why would you carry the weight of two?

I don't work on aircraft anymore with complex electrical systems that I can't easily understand, or electrically dependent engines (EFII), to many unknowns (I have no qualms about telling someone this).

I also won't build a panel with a complex electrical system do the fact that most owners won't understand them anyway, therefore it creates a larger hazard than any potential safety improvement.

Like you, I've had folks come in with electrically dependent aircraft that had no clue how the system worked (failed alternators and such) or understood what most of the switch's function were. They usually purchased the aircraft (98% of my customers) and basically have no understanding of what does what. Even as an owner/builder, 10 years down the road, will you actually be able to recall how you designed it? (trying to recall those details in flight).

Keep in mind one day 'your' airplane will move to a new owner for one reason or another, will he/she be able to understand how your unnecessarily complex system works without going to school and recurrent training? Or are you just gonna take a chain saw to your aircraft when you're done.

Last edited:

Dual batteries, you just said the battery is the most reliable component, so why would you carry the weight of two?

I don't work on aircraft anymore with complex electrical systems that I can't easily understand, or electrically dependent engines (EFII), to many unknowns (I have no qualms about telling someone this).

I also won't build a panel with a complex electrical system do the fact that most owners won't understand them anyway, therefore it creates a larger hazard than any potential safety improvement.

Like you, I've had folks come in with electrically dependent aircraft that had no clue how the system worked (failed alternators and such) or understood what most of the switch's function were. They usually purchased the aircraft (98% of my customers) and basically have no understanding of what does what. Even as an owner/builder, 10 years down the road, will you actually be able to recall how you designed it? (trying to recall those details in flight).

Keep in mind one day 'your' airplane will move to a new owner for one reason or another, will he be able to understand how your unnecessarily complex system works without going to school and recurrent training? Or are you just gonna take a chain saw to your aircraft when you're done.

This has turned into a very interesting discussion. I very much appreciate Carl and Walt pointing out how hard it is to make an redundant electrical system then test it.

I deal with this stuff all of the time at work. The moment you add redundancy you have all kinds of new considerations. You can't have redundancy without monitoring to make sure that your redundancy is working. If you don't have a way to make sure everything is working it will fail without your knowledge. If you don't have an intuitive way to verify that things are working during run-up then all bets are off.

When you consider this perspective, then Walt's love for two actual mags makes a bunch of sense. You kill the left, then the right, and you know you have two and they both work and the condition of the plugs. With two lightspeeds or sureflys you would need to test backup batteries, switches, diodes, contactors, etc in order to test the complete system like you get by default with mags. This is why I discourage these types of EI systems unless you have a backup mag.

When we consider the e-mag and trying to get the same level of testing you would need to do both the ramp check (tests the spark plugs) and the cut-out test (tests the internal generator) however the manual points out that you only do cut-out tests at annual or during MX, probably because it's time consuming. Perhaps this post will cause people to test the cut-off more frequently.

When we consider the SDS CPI2 and trying to get the same level of testing, you would need to remove the EI from the main bus and watch it go over to it's own battery which is directly attached and doesn't have any switches or buses or anything to fail. Now, that tells us the switching and wiring works, but it doesn't tell us the condition of the battery which could be plenty good enough to run it for a few seconds, but fail minutes later. That means an equivalent test would probably be switch to secondary battery and monitor voltage drop or perhaps a backup battery test switch that simply ties a resistor across the battery and if switching it on causes a low volts warning on the EFIS then you know the battery is toast.

Walt's point of a simple mag check tests the system from end to end while EI doesn't normally get completely tested on run-up is a point well taken.

This has turned into a very interesting discussion. I very much appreciate Carl and Walt pointing out how hard it is to make an redundant electrical system then test it.
No, it is not all that hard.
Walt's point of a simple mag check tests the system from end to end while EI doesn't normally get completely tested on run-up is a point well taken.
No, the pMag internal generator test takes just few seconds.

Carl

Keep in mind one day 'your' airplane will move to a new owner for one reason or another, will he/she be able to understand how your unnecessarily complex system works without going to school and recurrent training? Or are you just gonna take a chain saw to your aircraft when you're done.
We are of the same mindset. I am seeing more and more of this as the largest growing group of AB owners are Non-builder owners. They often have no clue as to the electrical system, and were never given wiring diagrams. I've seen way too many dual EI systems come in that are required to have a good source of electrical energy to keep running, and the backup battery has never been tested. On more than one aircraft I have found dead batteries, all corroded, and on-one even knew they were there. Beacuse of my stance on not having the same dual electronic ignition system that requires good backup batteries and testing, Klaus at LightSpeed has decided I am no longer authorized or recommended to work on LightSpeed systems! Yikes. Didn't know I had to be authorized, but I am all about safety. So, I'm actually proud to be "deauthorized." :)

Again, I am not dissing any single type of ignition system. Watch for my upcoming column. It's all about your own personal risk tolerance. Mine is probably different than yours, and that's OK. :)

Walt, as to the bug, it was uploading ATC route changes into the IPAD and then hitting "send to panel." The guy I was flying with did it multiple times in the clag before I figured out what it was. Then I was ablel to duplicate it when on top in the clear. A phone call to Garmin and they admitted they knew about it. The other one was an ADAHRS failure on Van's RV-14 on the way to OSH, and I think it only had a single one.

Vic

We are of the same mindset. I am seeing more and more of this as the largest growing group of AB owners are Non-builder owners. They often have no clue as to the electrical system, and were never given wiring diagrams. I've seen way too many dual EI systems come in that are required to have a good source of electrical energy to keep running, and the backup battery has never been tested. On more than one aircraft I have found dead batteries, all corroded, and on-one even knew they were there. Beacuse of my stance on not having the same dual electronic ignition system that requires good backup batteries and testing, Klaus at LightSpeed has decided I am no longer authorized or recommended to work on LightSpeed systems! Yikes. Didn't know I had to be authorized, but I am all about safety. So, I'm actually proud to be "deauthorized." :)

Again, I am not dissing any single type of ignition system. Watch for my upcoming column. It's all about your own personal risk tolerance. Mine is probably different than yours, and that's OK. :)

Walt, as to the bug, it was uploading ATC route changes into the IPAD and then hitting "send to panel." The guy I was flying with did it multiple times in the clag before I figured out what it was. Then I was ablel to duplicate it when on top in the clear. A phone call to Garmin and they admitted they knew about it. The other one was an ADAHRS failure on Van's RV-14 on the way to OSH, and I think it only had a single one.

Vic
Funny, I de-authorized myself many years ago from LS after dealing with multiple failures and Klaus refusing to fix them, his answer.. buy another box.

Every panel I do has a G5 and one or two AHRS, no other options available on my panel builds (most actually have dual GSU25's and a G5 or GI275).
As for the iPad upload, I never use it in flight to revise flight plans, that's always done on the GTN (the 750Xi makes it easy), the iPad is wonderful for uploading the expected route while sitting on the ground and flight planning duties but gets little use while flying.

Black boxes fail, you can count on it so you best plan for it.

Last edited:

Thanks
Ken
I have dual Pmags on both my RV-8 (10 years) and RV-10 (2 years) - I love them and super simple to install/time. Would certainly go this route vice an IRAN on the slick. If it were me I would go dual P-Mags for the extra redundancy and simplicity.

Well, I have yet to see everything. Today I did a prebuy on an RV with dual Lightspeed ignitions. No backup battery! One main battery and one alternator. Non-builder owner, but he’s fine with it that way. Yikes. I wouldn’t even fly it.
Vic

Well, I have yet to see everything.
We all have our own risk tolerance and that’s just fine, but I have very little concern flying an all electric ignition with a single battery as long as I have access to that battery directly and separate from the ships master. In my mind, the loss of the alternator AND battery in a single flight are “unlikely”. Possible? Absolutely. But for a VFR mission, quite within the acceptable range for me.

We all have our own risk tolerance and that’s just fine, but I have very little concern flying an all electric ignition with a single battery as long as I have access to that battery directly and separate from the ships master. In my mind, the loss of the alternator AND battery in a single flight are “unlikely”. Possible? Absolutely. But for a VFR mission, quite within the acceptable range for me.
This was an IFR airplane flown under IFR. I guess you’ve never had a runaway alternator before that can toast a battery pretty quickly?

IFR is a different ballgame. In that case, nope. I’m with you on that. Not for me.

that said, no, I have never had a runaway alternator fry a battery. In all of my years operating cars and airplanes I’ve only had one alternator run away, and that was on an ANCIENT Delco regulator on a 1963 Pontiac that welded the points shut. Easily identified and remedied

Back