What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Seal Recommendation?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
When my father fit the doors and cabin top, he did not incorporate a McMaster style door seal on the cabin lip. Without getting into extensive glass work, the cabin lip will not properly accept that style seal. At this stage, I'm not going to get into that.

He used some kind of foam seal on the door itself (per the plans?) but after 12+ years, it's falling off and needs to be replaced. It's a square gray foam seal. I have no idea what type or the source.

Looking for recommendations for a en effective, durable seal to be applied directly to the door.

Thanks.

Door Seal.jpg

I did self adhesive door seals from McMaster. 12 years on the plane and still working. Cheap and easily replaced if needed.

I suggest you get some 3/8” tall as well as some 1/2” tall and see what works best for you.

You will need to fill in the gap associated with the door hinge and run the seal over it. I used some scrap rigged packing foal (like your wheels/brakes came in) and some black RTV to hold it in.

Carl

Attachments

• door seal.jpeg
    door seal.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 51
I did self adhesive door seals from McMaster. 12 years on the plane and still working. Cheap and easily replaced if needed.

I suggest you get some 3/8” tall as well as some 1/2” tall and see what works best for you.

You will need to fill in the gap associated with the door hinge and run the seal over it. I used some scrap rigged packing foal (like your wheels/brakes came in) and some black RTV to hold it in.

Carl
Carl,

Which style of seal did you use. To me looks like style D or possibly F?

Back