What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yaesu (Vertex) or Icom handheld

drmax

Well Known Member
Looking at either of these brands, in a nav/com model. I can go the $300 for either top models...being FTA-310 or 710 or A24. Can anyone point out the cons from first hand experience for either? This will be used as a backup. Thx for any info. DM

Last edited:
Not good at all.

I can confirm my A6 (2007 Airventure purchase) works with my Bose X headset but not with a cheapie. I have heard that David Clark headsets also work. Try before you buy.

I believe the problem is related to the microphone bias circuit and some mic cartridges work, other don't.

I like that the radio is very rugged and water resistant.

I don't like that the keypad is rather complicated to drive - not very intuitive for the memory usage.

Plan on using an external antenna, like most handhelds it lacks the filtering necessary to supress out of band electrical noise. The rubber duckie antenna is only useful in a very quiet electrical environment. It does have an auto noise limiting feature (ANL) but this just protects your ears from the interference.

If you plan to use the Icom in the air for emergencies consider having a BNC connection available so you can patch it to the main VHF antenna.

I cannot give you a side by side comparison between this and any other airband handheld but I am happy with my A6. Tx and Rx performance is pretty good, features are generally useful.

I have a Vertex 710.

It is a quality radio, however in my opinion it could use some changes to be user friendly. I remember thinking what the ? Were they thinking when they programmed/ designed this?!?

First, the selection of frequency bands is awkward. I don't have a clue what some of the names are. I have just gotten used to what I want and go to it, even though the name makes no sense to me.

The knob to change frequency and volume is very easily turned. When using a headset adaptor and clipping it to your pants it is beyond easy to accidentally change the freq, or volume level without knowing it. In my opinion it should have a lockout feature to prevent this from happening. (If it does I can't find it.)

At times it is quite difficult to turn on and off. You hold the power button for a bit, and it should power up, or down. Sometimes it does not seem to respond to inputs. It has taken up to 5 tries to get it to do what I want before. Of course turning it off should require a deliberate press of a button, but this seems excessive, especially compared to the volume/freq knob.

I have never really used the VOR function, so cannot speak to that.

All in all it is a quality radio with a non intuitive ease of use.

Mark

I will never purchase another handheld that you turn on and off by holding down a button. My old Sporty's A300 is what I grab when I need to use a hassle free radio quick....... and I have owned 6 different radios and one was the A-24..... hated it!! The on off button made me happily take a substantial loss just to get it out of my sight. It was well built and felt good in your hand, but........ ugh!

My choice for use and compatibility, though at $399 would be the latest Sporty's SP 400.
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14807

Last edited:
Y adopter

Do they make a "Y" adopter that I would plug into the back of my panel mounted King nav/com radio, that I could then put a short piece of flexible coax that would be quickly accessible (up under the dash, or wherever) to be able to plug whatever handheld radio I decide to purchase? Or is this even recommended?
Thx, DM

Do they make a "Y" adopter that I would plug into the back of my panel mounted King nav/com radio, that I could then put a short piece of flexible coax that would be quickly accessible (up under the dash, or wherever) to be able to plug whatever handheld radio I decide to purchase? Or is this even recommended?
Thx, DM

Not 100% sure, but I think this is what you are looking for. I allows you to easliy plug a handheld into the aircraft's com anetnna.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/icomswitchbox.php?clickkey=3576

I will never purchase another handheld that you turn on and off by holding down a button. My old Sporty's A300 is what I grab when I need to use a hassle free radio quick....... and I have owned 6 different radios and one was the A-24..... hated it!! The on off button made me happily take a substantial loss just to get it out of my sight. It was well built and felt good in your hand, but........ ugh!

My choice for use and compatibility, though at $399 would be the latest Sporty's SP 400.
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14807
If the only thing you didn't like was the way it turned on and off, would it me ok? I mean, I'd only be using it for emergency use. The A24 comes with things...the Sporty's unit does not. (accessory wise) I can scoop up the A24 from Marves for around 325 shipped, with charger and headset adpoter. I'm convinced...Vertex is NOT the way to go, per the man who owns the 710. Thx DM

I have heard one person say you cannot just use a Y on an an antennae because it can back feed the other radio and blow it out.

Just something I heard. Never investigated further, so not a clue if it is true or not. Maybe the switch box mentioned earlier takes care of this?

Mark

Last edited:
I have heard one person say you cannot just use a Y on an an antennae because it can back feed the other radio and blow it out.

Just something I heard. Never investigated further, so not a clue if it is true or not. Maybe the switch box mentioned earlier takes care of this?

Mark
Most likely is true, or some sort of malfunction. (not like cobbling up your tv antenna at home...;) ) That device as previously listed would be the correct way to go about it, I'm pretty sure. DM

Definitely if the output of a transmitter is connected directly to the input of a receiver due to some ill conceived coupling system you will destroy the receiver - possibly the transmitter as well.

What is required is some form of intelligence to actually switch and isolate each radio from the other - the Icom adapter might be the correct item but I say 'might' only because I have not investigated it in any depth.

One simple option is to provide an intermediate patch panel where the main antenna can be disconnected from the failed radio and connected directly to the handheld.

My preference is to not have this breakout and not have any unnecessary BNC plugs and sockets in the antenna feedline. Each connection is susceptible to failure, and is lossy (approx 0.3dB loss at each connection). If I ever do need the handheld in the air I will use the rubber duckie antenna supplied.

Definitely if the output of a transmitter is connected directly to the input of a receiver due to some ill conceived coupling system you will destroy the receiver - possibly the transmitter as well.

What is required is some form of intelligence to actually switch and isolate each radio from the other - the Icom adapter might be the correct item but I say 'might' only because I have not investigated it in any depth.

One simple option is to provide an intermediate patch panel where the main antenna can be disconnected from the failed radio and connected directly to the handheld.

My preference is to not have this breakout and not have any unnecessary BNC plugs and sockets in the antenna feedline. Each connection is susceptible to failure, and is lossy (approx 0.3dB loss at each connection). If I ever do need the handheld in the air I will use the rubber duckie antenna supplied.
I would use the supplied rubber antenna...but thought the reception was terrible...by other reports. I suppose better than nothing...and maybe just those folks and their timing. Would try it as is before trying to rig up anything else.

I use an Icom and also a Yaesu and find them both about the same.
The Icom adaptor plug broke down and they are horrendously expensive for what they are. The Yaesu is harder to connect to an aerial as it has a screw in aerial rather than the bayonet of the Icom.
i use the Yaesu at the moment, but the Icom has VOR built in so it could be a better option, although a GPS negates the need for VOR.

I use an Icom and also a Yaesu and find them both about the same.
The Icom adaptor plug broke down and they are horrendously expensive for what they are. The Yaesu is harder to connect to an aerial as it has a screw in aerial rather than the bayonet of the Icom.
i use the Yaesu at the moment, but the Icom has VOR built in so it could be a better option, although a GPS negates the need for VOR.
Vertex could also have the VOR built in, depending on model. I would have that feature for redunancy....at only another $50 on either model. So, if you were to do it over right now, which brand would you buy? (emergeny use only) Thx, DM

Back