What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WV30 Camping Fly-In Sept. 16

rdt7

Patron
Fly on over to WV30 in southeastern WV the weekend of Sept. 16. for camping on a beautiful mountaintop grass airstrip. See the RAF Guide for strip details: https://airfield.guide/filter_airports.asp? Just type in the identifier.

No organized activities are planned but lots of disorganized ones, like cooking over a campfire, telling "war stories" and viewing the Milky Way. There are no showers, but a couple of clean porta potties. Marvin McGraw will be there in his beautiful RV-14. Come on over if you can.

Attachments

• Airstrip WV30 cmyk.jpg
    Airstrip WV30 cmyk.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
Sandy and I will be there! Great location, this picture is from a previous trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 75
Sandy and I will be there! Great location, this picture is from a previous trip.

Peter going? I owe him almonds.

Don't see threshold markers. Where are the best touchhdown zones?

Attachments

• WV30.jpg
    WV30.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

There's a white marker on the approach end of #35 but it's really not needed. Both runways are usable almost up to the very end. If it has rained heavily for a few days we get a soggy area about ⅔ the way up #35, but it's generally not an issue. Overall, the runway is in great shape.

Peter, Jimmy, and Jerry will be there. Probably a few more people I’ve invited. I hope Bob gets a good turn out.

You can park wherever you want but most folks park in the areas marked red. They are near the porta-potties and fire rings.

Attachments

• WV30 Map.jpg
    WV30 Map.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 96
There are a few of us from PA that may come in for the day

Thanks Marvin for the heads up

Looking forward

Hello Bob!

Looking forward to the WV30 camping. For planning purposes, how will we be cooking? Just bring food for a campfire with a grate or will there be grills? Trying to figure what to bring.

Marvin

Hello Bob!

Looking forward to the WV30 camping. For planning purposes, how will we be cooking? Just bring food for a campfire with a grate or will there be grills? Trying to figure what to bring.

Marvin

Both! We'll have at least one grill (maybe two) and several fire rings with grates.

I'm interested

Bob T,

It looks inviting. I'll keep an eye on your gathering's updates.

Would be coming from SC47 in my RV-14A. it's about a 75 minute flight. Maybe just for the day or possibly one night in a small tent.

Curios about feeding myself for a day and breakfast next morning. Do I need to bring cooking utensils or only what I will eat and drink. I see that there will be a grill or two or some kind of fire.

Weather will be high up on my go/no go decision.

Last edited:
Preparation if RON camping @ WV30

So far, not enough information to prepare for camping RON.

What will or will not be available at WV30 if considering camping RON?

WATER - drinking / cleaning cooking utensils / wash hands and face / brush teeth?

COOKING - skillet / pots / pans?

HOST CONTACT PHONE NUMBER

OR OTHER - e.g., a list of what will or will not be available at WV30 so visitors can be prepared for RON or day trip visit only?

So far, not enough information to prepare for camping RON.

What will or will not be available at WV30 if considering camping RON?

WATER - drinking / cleaning cooking utensils / wash hands and face / brush teeth?

COOKING - skillet / pots / pans?

HOST CONTACT PHONE NUMBER

OR OTHER - e.g., a list of what will or will not be available at WV30 so visitors can be prepared for RON or day trip visit only?

Jeff, we are not equipped to host an official fly-in. We've just got a beautiful airstrip that people love to visit. This weekend we've go 6 or 7 Cessna 180s and 185s. Most campers bring everything they need to be self-sufficient. That said we have a Port-a-Potty and well water is available. No showers. We have fire rings with wood for cooking. We also have a couple of grills. Another cabin owner and I will be here and we have a hangar where we can set up tables in for eating.

I have a little portable camping sink in my hangar that can be used for washing hands.

If you and others coming will let me know what else you need, we will see if we can provide it. I don't at all mind making a trip to the grocery store. Collectively we can cook our dinners and breakfasts if folks want to.

Hope for good weather like we're having this weekend. It's fantastic.

PM me if you want to talk by phone.

Attachments

• IMG_8429.jpg
    IMG_8429.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 50
  • South End Runway View.jpg
    South End Runway View.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 180s Camping.jpg
    180s Camping.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 56
The weather is looking great for this weekend. I'd love to get a headcount. Who's coming and when?

Put us down as a possible drop-in for part of the day Saturday. We're local; if the WX remains as forecast and we're not otherwise engaged, we can certainly do it.

My partner in crime at WV30 and I will provide a simple chile & baked potato dinner Saturday night if folks want that. We'll also have coffee available in the morning.

As your plans firm up, please PM me.

Hello Bob,
I believe I know of 8 people

Roy & Sandy Thoma - RV7A
Dan Horton - RV-8
Peter Coen - Rallye 235E
Jimmy Hunt - Bonanza V-Tail
Sandy and myself - RV-14
Jerry Depew - V-Tail

Dave Valcik is unable to attend.

And YES we would be interested in Chili. It would save on packing food.

Marvin

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing you all. Looks like 3 airplanes will be flying in today and another 5 or 6 tomorrow. I've attached a labeled map that may be more helpful. You can park anywhere. The owners of the three nearby houses will not be there but we have their permission to park on their property and use their fire-ring, and hangar.

Looks like some rain showers Sunday but not a washout.

Attachments

• WV30 Map - Parking Areas.jpg
    WV30 Map - Parking Areas.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 40
3 planes

Sandy, myself, Peter, Jimmy, and Dan will be arriving around 1ish tomorrow. Jerry has already sent pictures of his campsite!

3 or 4 more

We have 3, possibly 4 more planes coming tomorrow around 12-1 for the day. RV-6, RV-4, RV-10 and possibly a C-170. Let us know if there is anything you need us to bring.

Thanks, Dave

Thanks to everyone who came to the Fly-In - especially those of you who stayed through the rainy Sunday we had and left on Monday. I really enjoyed meeting you all. I think we had 10 RVs, 2 V-Tail vintage Bonanzas, and 1 French Rallye. Quite a group!

Mark your calendars for Sept. 14-15 next year and we'll do it again. We should be a little better equipped and prepared. We're laying the foundation for our shower this week.

Attachments

• Row of RVs.jpg
    Row of RVs.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 70
Bob
Thanks for hospitality, and Gary too. Looking forward to next year.
Beautiful place there. We had a great time.

Great weekend

Bob,
Thank you for your hospitality, Gary is a good friend to help so much.

Back