What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WTB - wingtips

rvbuilder2002

Legacy Member
Mentor
Looking for an uninstalled set of W-715-1 tips (with lenses and close out ribs if you have them).
I might consider previously installed tips depending on condition and price.

I have never installed/untouched stock tips and lenses delivered with my -8 kit, though I don't know how feasible shipping would be from NC.
PM me if interested and we can see if it's viable.

I have never installed/untouched stock tips and lenses delivered with my -8 kit, though I don't know how feasible shipping would be from NC.
PM me if interested and we can see if it's viable.
Thanks for the reply, but unless you special ordered them, W-715-1 tips would not have come standard in your wing kit (they are the RV-7 sheared tips).

Thanks for the reply, but unless you special ordered them, W-715-1 tips would not have come standard in your wing kit (they are the RV-7 sheared tips).

Checked my packing list, then pulled off the shelf - that's what I have: W-715-1-L and W-715-1-R (clear lense not pictured, but also available). Shipped with my kit in March 2021. PM me your zip code if interested and I can see what shipping would be.

20240209_161436.jpg
20240209_161445.jpg

Scott, I'm confused by your statement. The RV-8 plans on DWG 9A show the W-715-1 wingtips (i.e., the latest version). Looks like they are common to the -7 and the -8s, as are other parts of the wing.

View attachment 09A_8.jpg

Last edited:
Scott, I'm confused by your statement. The RV-8 plans on DWG 9A show the W-715-1 wingtips (i.e., the latest version). Looks like they are common to the -7 and the -8s, as are other parts of the wing.

View attachment 55793
Well, that just goes to show what I know about the more recent configuration of the RV-8 wing kit…
The standard wing tip for many years was the W – 4XX tip that was also used on the RV -4 and the RV -6.
No one ever told me that they changed it 🫤

And between the W-415 (the early flat top Hoerner-style tip) and the latest W-715-1 tip, they shipped the W-715 'Bat Wing' tip with the curved TE and the smaller light cutout.

Comparison of the W-715 'Bat Wing' and W-715-1 wingtips.
i-LdZFmX2.jpg

Well, that just goes to show what I know about the more recent configuration of the RV-8 wing kit…
The standard wing tip for many years was the W – 4XX tip that was also used on the RV -4 and the RV -6.
No one ever told me that they changed it 🫤
I’ve got 2012 -8 wings with w-715-1 tips
So it’s been awhile

Ok, Ok......
Now I just need someone who has gotten an RV-7 or RV-8 wing kit within the past 2 decades :oops:, and didn't use your wing tips and are not 2500 miles away, to get in touch with me.

Ok, Ok......
Now I just need someone who has gotten an RV-7 or RV-8 wing kit within the past 2 decades :oops:, and didn't use your wing tips and are not 2500 miles away, to get in touch with me.
Just trying to help so someone that reads this might go check their attic and help you out. Probably hundreds covered in dust, just calling your name in the NW.
good luck

Looking for an uninstalled set of W-715-1 tips (with lenses and close out ribs if you have them).
I might consider previously installed tips depending on condition and price.
BTW the cheapest way to ship something like this is Greyhound or at least get a quote. They have lots of room in the luggage area and looking to haul high volume items. You will have to pick up and deliver to a Greyhound stop but normally not that difficult.

Back