What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring PTT to Mic jack

nharris

I'm doing an avionics upgrade on my plane, adding a Ray Allen G405 stick grip and a Garmin GTR205xR into a new G3X setup. My question is, how do I wire the PTT from the stick grip? the stick grip has one white wire designated PTT and a common ground wire.

Last edited:
It's acceptable to wire the PTT from the GTR to the stick grip. The stick grip common ground can be connected to a convenient place, it does not need to be wired to the Mic Lo on the GTR.

The Garmin wiring diagram is the 'classic' method of wiring a headphone jack so that you can add a PTT remotely. In my aircraft I do both.

PTT will open the transmitter when the line is grounded. No need to take it to the mic jack.
Any (usually momentary) switch that is connected to ground can be used.
The stick grip PTT will likely take the PTT line and connect it to the ground wire?
If that is true (test with a multi-meter) attach the stick grip PTT line to pin 60 on the GTR.
The ground wire can go to any nearby ground point.

I had a Ray Allan stick grip and really didn't get on with it - have you flown with one before?

A thought, since you are in this area of wiring ---
I put a PTT switch onto the right side of the panel, in parallel with the co-pilot PTT.
That way the pilot in the RH seat can do radio calls without grabbing the stick.

Here is a wiring diagram for the GTR 205x that actually includes the PTT. Weird that yours didn’t.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.png
    IMG_0637.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 31
Back