What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Systems epoxy questions.

JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Have almost finished my rear skirts on my RV- canopy and have noticed that the weave in the glass I used is showing through the epoxy. Will this result in pinholes? I sanded it down and it is smooth but the pattern is still discernible. Same with the fairing around the base of the windscreen Question #2 As much as I tried to cover the plexi during the epoxy operation there still is a speck or two of epoxy on the glass what is a good product or technique to remove it? I had some success with laquer thinner followed by Lemon Pledge wax to remove the thinner if I found the small specks of epoxy before they hardened but this evening I have discovered a couple spots where it hardened and I would like to remove it. Thanks Jim.

Seeing the weave in fiberglass isn't a bad thing, but if you can feel the weave, it'll transfer through the paint. Personally, I'd give the skirts a coat or two of epoxy before doing any more work on 'em. That should help fill any pinholes and give you a good surface for light sanding or applying micro/epoxy.

I found that I could break small blobs of epoxy loose from plexi or aluminum with a thumbnail. Tough on the thumbnail, but hey, they regrow...

I usually use a 'wet' micro to fill the weave to start, then sand down and fill any pinholes with sandable primer.

Back