What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire valve extension

I have something similar.
Needs a hole in the pants in the correct spot.
Needs to have your tires marked at the bottom to tell you the hole is aligned with the filler valve.

Anyone used this for airing up tires without removing tbe wheel pants?
Just wondering if they work on mains and nose wheel. Obviously need a hole in the right spot.

Aircraft Extras Flexible Tire Valve Extension​

I have used something similar. In the fullness of time, I’ve decided that the hassle of lining up the valve to my (too small) wheel pant window, getting the valve cover off and back on, and installing the extension for inflating the tire, isn’t worth it. I just remove the wheel pants. I figure it also gives you a good opportunity to inspect things. Knee pads for my old joints, and an electric screwdriver, both help. 😃

I have used something similar. In the fullness of time, I’ve decided that the hassle of lining up the valve to my (too small) wheel pant window, getting the valve cover off and back on, and installing the extension for inflating the tire, isn’t worth it. I just remove the wheel pants. I figure it also gives you a good opportunity to inspect things. Knee pads for my old joints, and an electric screwdriver, both help. 😃
I have a 1 inch hole in each wheel pant with a plastic, painted insert. They just pop off with a screwdriver. I use a nut driver to remove and replace the valve cover and I've painted a vertical line on the inside of the tire to show when the valve is lined up with the hole. Making it easier to inflate the tires means I check my pressure more often which I think has value.

I have a 1 inch hole in each wheel pant with a plastic, painted insert. They just pop off with a screwdriver. I use a nut driver to remove and replace the valve cover and I've painted a vertical line on the inside of the tire to show when the valve is lined up with the hole. Making it easier to inflate the tires means I check my pressure more often which I think has value.
Maybe I just need a larger hole. But my fiberglass skills are nonexistent and I hate the thought of modifying my wheel pants. 😬

I completely understand. I hate fiberglass work. I just got the plugs and used a step drill until they fit. The color isn't a perfect match but it is pretty close.

Wheel pant hole.jpg

Anyone used this for airing up tires without removing tbe wheel pants?
Just wondering if they work on mains and nose wheel. Obviously need a hole in the right spot.

Aircraft Extras Flexible Tire Valve Extension​

I have something similar, works great. Small hole in the pant, 10mm nut driver to remove cap, install extension, air tire. Takes like 5 minutes. Use a 10 mm nut driver as it is just a big larger and cap slides out easily.

The straight foot inflator that was posted requires a much larger hole.

You can actually get a true straight end inflator but the problem is that the valve stem typically is not perpendicular to the rim. What happens is that the inflator gets "hooked" on the valve stem making it somewhat difficult to remove and air loss occurs as you are trying to disengage the inflator from the stem.

The flexible extension works great as you thread it onto the stem with no air loss, and unthread it when you are done with no air loss. It also allows you to check the pressure directly with a tire gauge.

All that said, I use Leak Guard tubes and really only add air every several months.

I have an extension from David Howe. Ask. Maybe he has more.
As for the hole...
I made a tube that slips over the stem. Inside I put a spring and a piece of pencil. Put it in place so there is enough tension for the pencil to contact. Rotate the tire back and forth. Remove the pant. Pick a spot on the arc and drill.
I bought rubber antenna plugs some where. Works perfect.
As for finding the stem...
Get close.
Take your bore scope and put it in the hole. Rotate till you see the stem where you want it.
Finally the cap...
I found caps with a flat top and epoxied steel washer the same diameter. A neodymium magnet resides inside and old socket. It keeps the cap from falling out when installing or removing. I couldn't find steel caps.

Attachments

• 20240320_153316.jpg
    20240320_153316.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240320_153742.jpg
    20240320_153742.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240402_102504.jpg
    20240402_102504.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I have an extension from David Howe. Ask. Maybe he has more.
As for the hole...
I made a tube that slips over the stem. Inside I put a spring and a piece of pencil. Put it in place so there is enough tension for the pencil to contact. Rotate the tire back and forth. Remove the pant. Pick a spot on the arc and drill.
I bought rubber antenna plugs some where. Works perfect.
As for finding the stem...
Get close.
Take your bore scope and put it in the hole. Rotate till you see the stem where you want it.
Finally the cap...
I found caps with a flat top and epoxied steel washer the same diameter. A neodymium magnet resides inside and old socket. It keeps the cap from falling out when installing or removing. I couldn't find steel caps.
Also, for locating the stem, you can use a laser pointer. Remove the pant, locate the stem, install the pant, drill where the laser point is.

Also, for locating the stem, you can use a laser pointer. Remove the pant, locate the stem, install the pant, drill where the laser point is.
Yes, that works. Be certain the laser is aligned to the same angle as the stem or the hole will be off by a little and the inflator extension won't align.

Back