What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 9.24.2024. #6176. WDYD…, Grin, Shim, Skirt, Sika, Daily Pic, COM 5-3, Rocket Fuel Tank

Thank you again to those who donate yearly to help keep this 1- person small business afloat. That badge under your name showing* you donated is much appreciated! As we get near to the start of the last quarter of the year, I start to think about finances a LOT more, and start to think of ways I can politely remind those who used this site over the last several months for technical help, motivation, networking and classifieds to please take 60 seconds to help keep it online. Today's edition is a nice representation of the target mix of technical and motivational.
I love this site and I'm grateful to have started it back in the late 90's, but I need to remind folks on occasion that it is INCREDIBLY expensive and time consuming to operate.
Keep on building and flying them RVs! 
I'll help document your adventure.
v/r,dr
NOTE: To 'get a badge' click on your avatar and select 'Account Upgrade.'
*a few mail a check, and I thank them for that! The ‘badge system’ however is MUCH easier for this 1-person business owner to stay on top of.
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 4.16.56 PM.png
PS: Sorry for the commercial. I hate 'em too.

dr
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.20.56 AM.png

Dbvalcik
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 12.42.59 PM.png

Tschwegel
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.21.34 AM.png

pitts12driver
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.22.07 AM.png

RE Sika slider C-653
…rapid_ascent reply
While many have decided to not to install the cover strip I decided I wanted to go ahead and install it. I used Sika as the adhesive and it went relatively well. It's a little tricky since there isn't much to position the cover strip or a way to really clamp it down.

To start off I purchased some 1/16" o-ring for use as a spacer for the Sika. I then used super glue to glue short pieces of the o-ring to the back side of the cover strip. I wasn't sure if this approach would work, but others here have suggested it so I gave it a try and it seemed to work.

Before the actual gluing process I cut some "clamping" blocks that I planned to use to hold the cover strip down. These were slightly narrower than the strip so they didn't touch the Sika. They were of varied lengths so that they would follow the contour of the canopy. My plan was to use Gorilla tape to hold the strip in place.

For the canopy latch hole I cut a short piece of 1/2" wood dowel and added a couple of wraps of shipping tape. Make it long enough so you can get a pair of pliers on it to twist it for removal.

In my case I had two aft holes for the handle that I plan to add. I glued the standoffs in place at the same time.

The other prep that I did was I calculated how big the notch in the Sika tip needed to be to get the right amount of material for the width of the strip. That also seemed to work pretty well.

The Sika is applied using the standard process. I inserted the wood dowel after the primer had been applied to that area so I would be able to remove it later. I added the cover strip to the canopy and then began my clamping. There was some minor squeeze out which I used a popsicle stick to clean up. The only problem areas were under my Gorilla tape. I went back and tried to clean those areas up too with mixed success.

I did end up going back doing a little touch up and then carefully sanding the finished edge. 220 grit seems to work fine for this. I'm happy with the results and glad that I added it.
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.22.43 AM.png

Daily RV pic ….Vlad entry
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.23.39 AM.png

RE COM 5-3 aileron bearing replacement outboard right wing
…scsmith reply
Vans sells the bearings. They are about $25 each. To help you with the search, its a COM-3-5. If Vans is back-ordered I have several in inventory because we use them in our Billet elevator and rudder hinges too.
But there are a lot more than two rivets to remove. You don't want to just remove those two and pry the two bracket halves apart - they are too stiff and you will bend other things. Here is a picture from the drawing (RV-8 in this case, but I think the assembly is common to all the 2-place RVs.)
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 10.24.36 AM.png

Webb
Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 12.41.58 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_5476.JPG

Please consider donating yearly to help keep this American 1-person pirate ship afloat:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)

Last edited:
Back