What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 8.28.2024. #6157. Ahhhhhh., Starlink Mini, Control Stick wiring, Batt V drop, flap align update, vapor lock, Mardi Gras.

Days since my last RV flight: 0
Yay! Got the RV-6 off the surface Tuesday for the first time in 28 days. Take that, loaded calendar and summer heat. Obviously worked on fundamentals…two standard rate turns followed by two steeps. Rusty, but it still counts ;^). Came over the fence 3 kn too fast and floated - like a damn rookie.
v/r,dr
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.27.16 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.27.35 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.30.09 PM.png
data on the the turns. The two big green dips are GS changes when coming into and out of the winds aloft during the standard rate turns.
IMG_BF4D32132285-1.jpeg

Flight w/Starlink Mini. Actual data. …noahhl

Flew with it this morning behind the tip up rollbar. For test purposes, just held it up with a suction cup w/ a RAM x-grip tablet holder on the end and copious amounts of flight test tape. Speed test was 142 Mbps with 24 ms latency at 4500' and 140 KTAS. Some variability (as low as 50 Mbps) as I maneuvered, but no consistent pattern w/ heading or anything.
Still undecided if I'm going to come up with a more permanent mount behind the seats (probably tied into the rollbar and rollbar-to-baggage-bulkhead or try the left wingtip. I have spare wires run out to the stall warning access panel, so not hard to get power out to the wingtip.
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.45.13 PM.png

Rjmvmi1998
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.46.10 PM.png

chop1
Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 7.02.27 PM.png

Mc607 Control Stick Wiring
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.47.59 PM.png

Flap Aileron Alignment Update
…RV7 To Go
After doing a few other things I got back to the aileron/flap alignment. What I did not like about bringing the flap overlap up to the fuselage was that the aileron counter weight then ended up below the bottom skin of the wing which would just be additional drag. I think the plane would still fly fine but it just didn't feel right to me. So I went back to lining up the aileron to the tooling holes. I cheated a bit and lined up the bottom skin of the aileron instead of the center. The counter weight didn't hang below and the flap overlap was a bit closer to the fuselage. Needs a little massaging on the overlap but better than before. No concerns with how it will fly. Done and moving on!
And yes, I installed a step. Sacrilege I know, but I am old and that's a big step up to the wing. Still needs a popper in the open hole due to no bucking bar access.
Thanks all for the feedback!
https://vansairforce.net/threads/flap-aileron-alignment.229071/post-1788596
Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 6.23.07 PM.png

constantin_w

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_5187.JPG

Please consider donating yearly to help keep this American 1-person pirate ship afloat:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)

Last edited:
Back