What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scratched windscreen.

RV9newbie

The builder of my new-to-me RV9-A scratched the windscreen plastic when sanding the fiberclass. The scratches extend up 4"+. It's never a problem of safety as I can see perfectly fine. The issue is aesthetics. When I purchased the aircraft it came with a new windscreen and slider canopy replacements - the slider has a few minor scratches from wear. Aside from replacing the windscreen which sounds rather involved and costly, is there a method to reduce or eliminate the scratches by buffing or other methods?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Search “windscreen scratches” and you’ll find all kinds of prior posts.
I certainly would try before replacement. It’s a big job.

Wet sand to 2000 grit...starting with the finest grit able to remove the scratches. Then use the Novus System.

Alternatively, Micro-Mesh makes a system to fix plexiglass and acrylic.

Brian Carpenter has a good VIDEO on repair in EAA Hints for Homebuilders using the Micro-Mesh system

I used this from Aircraft Spruce to restore the plexiglas for precisely the same issue you are having.
I slowly wetsanded the plexiglass from 800 to 1200 grit. Then I used the subsequent finer grit from the kit

capture.jpg

The headlight repair kits from any auto parts store are essentially the same as that Aircraft spruce kit. They work very well on lexan. At $15- $20 pretty inexpensive to try.

Do not replace the canopy! If it's just scratches from the sanding etc you definitely can get it out!
I once was in turbulence so bad that although I was latched down as tight as I could pull the seat belt straps, I hit my head on the canopy. My headset put a pretty good mark straight above my head and when I looked up, I actually thought the canopy had cracked! No crack but definitely a significant mark I could easily feel. I bought some auto polish of some kind and polished and polished, (took awhile), but finally got it all out. Should have used a little sandpaper working towards the 2K grit, (as in the process mentioned above), followed by polish would have been faster I guess.

If you have one specific scratches your trying to work out...use a Sharpie over the scratches and then start with a finer grit like 1000 then step down to 800/600/etc to see how aggressive you need to go to remove all of the sharpie. It's like using a guide coat on a paint job

Be aware that unless you are both lucky and careful to blend/extend the repair area well onto the unscratched portion of the canopy, sanding and polishing will introduce distortion into the transparency from local thinning of the material and creation of a negative-diopter lens. Physics - and unavoidable unless the entire canopy is thinned by the same amount.

I earned that T-shirt repairing a deep scratch in my 6A canopy. Will not repeat.

For monthly maintenance, I use this product bought from Aircraft Spruce. It removes all the swirl marks from the daily cleaning: This bottle has lasted for more than a year. I still have 1/2 of the content.

1727202756855.png

Be careful with power tools, too much heat from the friction and you will end up with a bigger mess than you already have. Elbow grease works really well.
I am an A&P. I purchased this kit for use on my certified aircraft. This kit has paid for itself several times over. Follow the directions, go slow and get ‘er done. Way cheaper than new glass.

For monthly maintenance, I use this product bought from Aircraft Spruce. It removes all the swirl marks from the daily cleaning: This bottle has lasted for more than a year. I still have 1/2 of the content.

View attachment 70958
Always clean your windscreen in a linear motion, stem to stem, front to back, up/down, however you want to look at it. Do not clean in a circular manner or you will get swirls.
Not sure who taught me this years ago.

Also, none of the RV windscreens are perfect. In fact, no plastic windscreen is. You get some distortion, you just don’t want to make it worse.

Back