What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8/8A takeoff and landing distance vs density altitude

dsink

I'm New Here
I haven’t found a chart for this. Is this something no one has done or calculated? my desire to fly into Salida CO prompted this—7,500’. In my case its an 8A with o-360 constant speed prop. Thanks!

I haven’t found a chart for this. Is this something no one has done or calculated? my desire to fly into Salida CO prompted this—7,500’. In my case its an 8A with o-360 constant speed prop. Thanks!
Of course, you will have to take field altitude AND density altitude into consideration. It goes without saying that aircraft performance is different from airplane to airplane depending on many factors. The charts will give you a vague idea of what you might expect but getting out there is the best way to find out what the differences will be.

I have been in and out of Salida many times with SuzieQ, O-320 with a fixed pitch Warnkie (Almost Constant Speed) wooden prop, usually with a passenger. Did not have problems. It is recommended that you land runway 24 to the West-southwest and depart runway 6 to the East-northeast, winds and weather permitting as the runway does have an East downward slant to it and terrain rises pretty quickly to the West. There are MOUNTAINS in that direction! Do NOT load up mid day and think 7300 feet is adequate taking off to the West. I might be but......... I have memories of a Bonanza that thought that.

Coming from Chicago, I would also recommend landing at some lower altitude airports in Colorado first and getting a feel for how your -8 will perform as it is a very different sight picture than you will have back home. I am always amazed at how SHORT the runways are as I get further East! We have long runways out here for a reason!

You will be fine. Just PAY ATTENTION. Which you should be doing ANYway! Your airplane has a ceiling of 20,000+ feet plus and part of that is also having good performance at lower altitudes.

Salida is a great place to visit and is a gateway to the Rocky Mountains. Rent a car and go driving! You will be amazed regardless of which road you take!

IMHO; YMMV..............

As an FYI ...

Several of us flew to KCUT (Field elevation 5602, I think and KWYS (Field elevation 6649) a couple of weeks ago. One of the planes was an 8A (Pilot + Spouse + Baggage for several days).
The density altitude at KWYS was greater than 7500 (as I recall), and he had no problems with takeoff. O-360 + Hartzell CS prop. The runway at KWYS is 8400 ft. long. Of course, he didn't blast off. He probably used a good 5-6000 ft.

Now, having said this ... YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Your plane/engine/prop combination *may* produce more or LESS HP at that altitude. Over the years, I slowly "worked my way up to" what my plane (and me as pilot) could REALLY do as opposed what it/we SHOULD be able to do.

In addition to the above cautions - if you have spent your whole life taking off from near-sea-level, make sure that your LEAN for best power before takeoff, or you’ll be giving away gobs of horsepower….

Pre-takeoff (and landing) checklists shouldn’t - IMHO - say “full rich” for mixture … they should say “as appropriate”.

In addition to the above cautions - if you have spent your whole life taking off from near-sea-level, make sure that your LEAN for best power before takeoff, or you’ll be giving away gobs of horsepower….

Pre-takeoff (and landing) checklists shouldn’t - IMHO - say “full rich” for mixture … they should say “as appropriate”.
It also helps to go to a mountain flying course. I loved the Colorado Pilots Association mountain flying course. It was a great experience and learned a lot with a day of ground and a day of flying in the Rockys with my airplane.

make sure that your LEAN for best power before takeoff, or you’ll be giving away gobs of horsepower….

^ What Paul said...

My RV-8 is based at KBJC in Colorado. Density altitude is often 7500+ in the summer and while the RV-8 can handle it, the reduced performance from sea level definitely gets your attention. My personal RV-8 checklist says "RICH per field elevation."

Back