What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

riveting trailing edge

andrew phillips

Well Known Member
What are the tricks for riveting the skin to the rib near the trailing edge of the elevator. I can't get a bucking bar or a rivet squeezer in there. I used an axe blade as a bucking bar but I can't even get that into the last hole space.

Thanks, Andrew

Assuming you are able to dimple the hole (pop rivet dimpler, vice grip dimpler, etc.) I'd just drill up to 7/64", throw a MK-319-BS blind rivet in there, and move on. Like one of my buddies always says, you won't be able to tell it's a pop rivet when I'm flying over your house anyways. ;)

mcb

Last edited:
I bought a no-hole C-yoke for my rivet squeezer. This allows me to get into places with as little as 1/4" clearance. Try to find someone nearby to borrow one from, though, as you won't need it very often.

Andrew,

Not to be rude, but please do a search on this subject. There are a lot of VERY good threads on this subject in the archives.

(You can also check out my site, as I have yet a different way to rivet these things up.)

Best of luck with your project!

I'm with Matt. The sheets of aluminum will fail way before the MK-319-BS fails. Take a look at the bird strike Thread on the RV-10. The skin tore and the rivets didn't fail.

Axe blade!! Wished I'd thought of that! Me and my buddy Dave actually used the flat end of a crow bar that we polished up to do the aft/lower most rivets of the rudder trailing edge. After that, I bought the 4" No Hole yoke. Good investment!

Back