What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing prop off 7a - do I need a tail stand?

kookaburra

I'm New Here
I am planning on removing my prop (3 blade catto) off my RV7a to get re-pitched. I did the weight and balance on foreflight by adding negative weight for removing the prop and noticed that even if I set the arm to 0 and add quite a lot of negative weight that it's still within balance.

I just want to sanity check with builders that my math or reasoning is right that with the prop removed, I shouldn't need a tail stand? To builders, did you need a tail stand on your 7a when building it after the engine was mounted but no prop?

Thanks a bunch!

I didn't need a tail stand (heavy Hartzell constant speed), although I did remove everything from the baggage area.

I didn’t need one with a 9A, but I still put one there. Why risk it. Used one of my rolling toolboxes with a few old cushions on top. I could still get to my tools and one less thing to worry about at 3 AM.

I am planning on removing my prop (3 blade catto) off my RV7a to get re-pitched. I did the weight and balance on foreflight by adding negative weight for removing the prop and noticed that even if I set the arm to 0 and add quite a lot of negative weight that it's still within balance.

I just want to sanity check with builders that my math or reasoning is right that with the prop removed, I shouldn't need a tail stand? To builders, did you need a tail stand on your 7a when building it after the engine was mounted but no prop?

Thanks a bunch!
Definitely won’t need one, but your tail may drop if someone climbs up on the step to get something. As suggested, a toolbox and a couple pillows under the tail or put something in front of the steps would be helpful.

Your W&B will probably tell you the load on the nosewheel. Some quick math would tell you where the CG would go if you removed X pounds of prop from that station.

I just removed my MTV-11 two-blade constant-speed composite from my RV-9A yesterday. I did have a cushion under my tail at the point of the rear tie-down ring, but it didn't go down, even as I was climbing in and out of the cockpit and putting weight on the step.

Thanks everyone. Great suggestion to compute at the load on nose wheel - I haven't thought about it and just computes CG.

I was considering making a tail stand from saw horse and pool noodles but the problem is I don't have a hangar and don't want it to get blown away.

Back