What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat pedals with brakes

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Who has photos of the setup Bruce B. was using for RV-8 transition training? Am I correct in thinking it had brakes in the back?

Who has photos of the setup Bruce B. was using for RV-8 transition training? Am I correct in thinking it had brakes in the back?
Inverted L shaped pedals with bent tubular pushrods going along the pilot seat up to the pilot pedals. Pilot seat fiberglass bucket to prevent the cushion from rubbing on the pushrods. I believe the rear footwells were replaced with flat floors and the pedals were hinged on those.
Pushrods ran on the inside next to the pilot seat.
Pretty basic really, but worked well.
Bruce did not want photos, as it was his idea and livelihood. But I did take this photo of the seat pan. I think this may help….
7C5C4D6B-83E0-48D7-B3AD-3F366334F2F0.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw that idea and thought it may be a better design than the original poster is seeking. I think a second set of brake master cylinders makes sense as it is the way all other aircraft do it.

Here is another question though. Why is it absolutely necessary? Even the Barons that people upgrade with for multi engine ratings sometimes do not have brakes on the instructor side. I know it’s a nice to have though. I’ve thought about it but decided to pass on it.

Bruce didn't have a rear seat throttle kit which I thought was brave of him, only these pedals with toe brakes (N99SU)

Attachments

• B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • B7.JPG
    B7.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 93
  • B6.JPG
    B6.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • B5.JPG
    B5.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • B4.JPG
    B4.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
  • B3.JPG
    B3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
I saw that idea and thought it may be a better design than the original poster is seeking. I think a second set of brake master cylinders makes sense as it is the way all other aircraft do it.
I would venture to say that most tandem seating aircraft have the front and rear brakes mechanically linked rather than a second pair of master cylinders.
That said, I think Ray Parker's installation is very tidy, much cleaner than mechanical pushrods for an -8. I really do not like heel brakes, but I am imagining a simple linkage to put a toe brake on Ray's pedal design.

Back