What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on taxes

Brantel

Well Known Member
Question for all you who know:

At the end of this building an airplane, when I go to register it, is there a requirement to pay sales tax for it like you do when you register a car (Tennessee)?

If there is no sales tax to pay, do you have to pay Use Tax (Tennessee)?

Most of the stuff that goes into my plane including the kit, I do not pay sales tax on when I buy because it is an out of state sale 99% of the time. So does this mean at the end, I will have to pay Use Tax?

Do a search on sales tax. There have been several threads on the subject. In a nutshell though, you'll have to check your state tax laws. Here in Illinois, we do pay a one time use tax on all merchandise purchased out of state (as I'm sure EVERYONE does this in Illinois! :rolleyes: ). Anything that is $600 and over is due by the end of the next month after purchase. Less than $600, and it's due within the year. I've been paying my taxes as I go so that I don't have a large tax bill to pay at the end. Illinois is 6.25%, and I've paid something like $500 through the wings so far.

KEEP ALL YOUR TAX FORMS IF YOU PAY AS YOU GO SO YOU DON'T GET SCREWED WHEN FINISHED.

Last edited:
Back