What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMA 6000M-S audio panel?

n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody have any experience with these panels. They seem to be on ebay alot and I need a replacement for a KMA-24 and I believe the website says it is a slide in replacement?

thanks

Discontinued Products

Anybody have any experience with these panels. They seem to be on ebay alot and I need a replacement for a KMA-24 and I believe the website says it is a slide in replacement?

thanks

At the risk of sounding like a sales pitch (this is not) I thought it would be helpful for you to know particular facts about the PMA6000MS.

This panel was designed in 1995 and discontinued in 1998 when we were shipping the PMA7000 series.

We were just learning how to manufacture electronics, and all of the PMA6000 series (except the PMA6000B (new design)) were based primarily on through hole technology. If you were to look inside the old 6000 panels, you will see many components that are not surface mount. If you look inside all of our current intercoms/audio panels, you will see these components are almost all surface mount.

Servicing products that are based on through hole is much more time consuming because the original soldered connections take more physical abuse in an airplane as would a surface mount component, thus providing many opportunities for "cold joints"

While we have yet to abandon the repair of any of our products, there comes a time when it doesn't make financial sense. This is the case for all of the old PMA6000 series (NOT including the new PMA6000B)

Finally, an insight on our repair fee policy (then I'm done, this is already a way too long post...sorry)

We have flat repair fees. Pretty simple, intercoms $79.95 and audio panels $199.95. When we obsolete a product, we increase this flat repair fee by 20% per year. So after the first year a product goes obsolete, the repair fee becomes $240, the next year after it becomes $288 and so forth.

There are no products that are in our current production that we are considering to obsolete. For example, the PMA4000 has been in continuous production for the last 12 years and we will continue to build it for many more.

So when considering purchasing a used audio panel, give us a call and we can tell you exactly how much it would cost to repair and then you can decide to purchase it. Remember our PMA5000EX sells for $895!

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and I would like the 5000 however this is in my 172 and your closest panel is at least twice as much as a used unit.

thanks

PMA6000B

Thanks for the info and I would like the 5000 however this is in my 172 and your closest panel is at least twice as much as a used unit.

thanks

Actually our FAA TSO'd PMA6000B with Marker sells for $1095 or $995 without marker. That is the price for a new unit.

And the slide in replacement for your PMA6000MS is the PMA7000B which sells for $1395

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Servicing products that are based on through hole is much more time consuming because the original soldered connections take more physical abuse in an airplane as would a surface mount component, thus providing many opportunities for "cold joints"

Perhaps I'm showing my age here a little but....

Having repaired literally thousands of black boxes (Collins, King, Honeywell, etc.) during my stint as a bench tech, virtually all of those boxes used thru-hole manufacturing technology. These boxes ran thousands of hours per year for 20 to 30 years or more with amazing reliability.

Surface mount became the preferred method in the late 80's/90's when computers started to become popular. Up until that point, virtually all electronics were manufactured using thru-hole technology. As far as "cold solder" joints, about the only time I ever saw one was from a repair that was not properly performed.

Surface mount came along because it was cheaper to manufacture boards with no holes in them and allowed increased component density (smaller boxes). As far as strength, tru-hole is still the superior method of component mounting. Thru-hole is still widely used and is by no means an obsolete method of manufacturing, but it is more expensive.

Dear Walt, you arent showing your age but your experience. I started building radio transmitters with tubes and used point to point wiring with resistors on terminal strips!

I should have given more details. Please look inside and you will see no components are mounted flat on the PCB but rather they are on end. This was because there was no room. Because of the mass of the components, the vibration of the aircraft over the hears ca. create hairline cracks in those joints. I should not have used the word "cold" solder joints because you know those are poor solder created during the soldering process.

So my point was that repairing this style of manufactured PCB is often times time consuming and that is why we charge as much as we do. We started shipping the PMA6000MS in 1995, the designed started in 1993 and we did not have pic and place machines at that time.

I'm glad to say we have come a very long way with our manufacturing capabilities. Including a vision system and finoe pitch pic and place machines!

Thanks for looking at our audio panels, we are working hard each and every day to bring great and reliable products to our customers. You might be just fine with the PMA6000MS but if you do ever have to get it repaired, the. You would have been better off withe the PMA6000B financially.

Sincerely
Mark

Back