What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel upgrade gotcha

erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
Here is something to be aware of if you are thinking about replacing a Garmin 296/396/496 in your instrument panel.

i decided to replace my Airgizmo mounted 296 with an Aera 660. My decision was in part based on Airgizmo promo material that said their mount for the 660 has the same footprint as the 296/396/496 mount so the mounting screws will be in the same position. Well yeah, the screw holes are the same, but the footprint is NOT exactly the same. It’s the same size rectangular cutout, but a thumb-sized crescent is needed on one side of the 296/396/496 cutout to allow the gps release mechanism to move. This small crescent shaped portion of the cutout is only visible when you remove the Airgizmo. The problem is that the release mechanism on the Airgizmo for the 660 is entirely different, and doesn’t require any crescent cutout, so when you install the new Airgizmo the crescent is now exposed. Looks like the panel edge has a big divot in it.

So now I have to either live with the panel divot or replace that section of the panel and hope I can match the powder coating with the rest of the panel. Not the end of the world, but an unanticipated hiccup that I’ll have to deal with. Wish this had been made clear by the Airgizmo folks but i do otherwise like their products.

So now I have to either live with the panel divot or replace that section of the panel and hope I can match the powder coating with the rest of the panel. Not the end of the world, but an unanticipated hiccup that I’ll have to deal with. Wish this had been made clear by the Airgizmo folks but i do otherwise like their products.

There are always options. When I removed my Dynon D6 to replace it with a Garmin G5, I hadn't realized the Dynon was in a recsessed flush mount.

After grinding-off the rivets securing the D6 flush mount bracket, the opening was too large for the G5.

We simply grabbed a piece for scrap aluminum and made an oversized adapter plate. Just took a few minutes.

After a little spray paint and color matched screws, I think it looks fine.

Crisis averted.

G5-1.jpg G5-2.jpg G5-3.jpg

There are always options. When I removed my Dynon D6 to replace it with a Garmin G5, I hadn't realized the Dynon was in a recsessed flush mount.

After grinding-off the rivets securing the D6 flush mount bracket, the opening was too large for the G5.

We simply grabbed a piece for scrap aluminum and made an oversized adapter plate. Just took a few minutes.

After a little spray paint and color matched screws, I think it looks fine.

Crisis averted.

View attachment 69354 View attachment 69355 View attachment 69356
Yup - I do decorative bezels like that all the time - a great way to clean up a change (And I make lots of changes testing new hardware and have to make it look good for pictures….).

The divot in the cutout for the 296 may be an optional thing because the cutout in my panel is just a plain rectangle and it was made per the airgizmo instructions.

Back