What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Fairing Bracket Help

romaja

Well Known Member
Step one page 46A-11 instructs you to bend the nose wheel brackets as necessary to fit the inside surface of the wheel fairing rear. I have bent the brackets different ways to get them to touch the inside surface to no avail. I dont want to press the fiberglass fairing together as It will distort the shape and wont fit the forward nose wheel fairing that has already been drilled to the rear. Has anyone encountered this problem and/or have a remedy?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7274.jpeg
    IMG_7274.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7275.jpeg
    IMG_7275.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7280.jpeg
    IMG_7280.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Step one page 46A-11 instructs you to bend the nose wheel brackets as necessary to fit the inside surface of the wheel fairing rear. I have bent the brackets different ways to get them to touch the inside surface to no avail. I dont want to press the fiberglass fairing together as It will distort the shape and wont fit the forward nose wheel fairing that has already been drilled to the rear. Has anyone encountered this problem and/or have a remedy?

Thanks,
Jim
I bent the brackets to a close fit and then filled the remaining void with a liquid shim of epoxy and flox. Cover the brackets with packaging tape while the epoxy is curing and with the wheel pant supported in the correct position by blocks of wood. Once the epoxy has cured the holes can be drilled for the screws.

Something I did which I found helpful was to drill and tap the 1024 spacer and mount it to the bracket C/S from the back side With 2 #6
screws. I found it super frustrating to try and hold that spacer in place while I put the wheel pant on. Anyway, I couldn’t see any downside to doing that. Hopefully, I don’t learn the hard way in the future that it was a bad idea 🥴.

Back