What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newest RV-14

Nitty

Well Known Member
Today was a good day. Received my airworthiness certificate after 8 years and about 1800 man hours to complete. Went off the reservation wrt engine ignition and fuel injection, electing to use the System32 EFII but other than that, it was a standard slow build kit.

A couple of strange things related to the process:
1. DAR was accompanied by a MIDO rep who was performing the recurrent certification for the DAR and thus an extra set of eyes on the airplane

2. MIDO guy was asking if my build manual Section 4 referenced Revision 8 dtd 12/15/15. I believe this was to satisfy that the kit complies with the 51% rule since that is the version of Section 4 that the FAA references in their letter to Van's certifying the standard build as compliant. My section 4 doesn't show a revision number or date even though the Vans tech support showed a version number in their copy. The DAR was going to use the Amateur Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist but in the end neither the DAR nor MIDO mentioned it again.

3. I was asked to start the airplane so that they could verify that gauges worked and that the markings I had initially put in the flight manual were present. I'm using GRT EFIS's so the markings weren't readily apparent. I think the DAR was expecting steam gauge displays which GRT doesn't offer. He looked over my shoulder during the engine run and I pointed out the various engine parameters. He asked to run the engine up to 1200 from idle and cycle the prop which I did. He spent a couple of minutes at the wing roots while the engine was running looking for leaks. Total engine run time was about 4 minutes.

4. I initially put in my AW application that I wanted to permit IFR operation but later changed my mind thinking that the attendant requirement(s) (transponder check, etc) would impact the issuance of the airworthiness certificate as I have not yet performed those tasks. This was not the case. The operating limits say that IFR flight is not permitted until the requirements of 91.205(d) are met and documented. Once they are met, that permission is automatically granted.

Operating limits and phase I test area were exactly as I requested. The phase I flight test permits the task based approach or the usual 40 hours.

Attachments

• 457577872_10234994585072206_7386032200069094837_n.jpg
    457577872_10234994585072206_7386032200069094837_n.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 126
Congratulations!

BTW, (you may know this but in case you did not), depending upon which GRT unit you have, you can in fact display a "6-pack". The 10.1's have it. Also certain gauges from the engine monitor can be made to display as round.

Enjoy your "new ride"!

Back