What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help regarding Firewall Forward part deletion

kirkbauer

Well Known Member
I'm looking to order my Firewall Forward kit (vernier) from Van's. I have a standard IO540 on the way with dual pMags. What items should I delete from the kit? Here is what I have so far:
  • Delete the alternator (I'll be using B&C and Monkworks)
  • Delete the starter/master relays (I have other ones planned)
  • Delete the throttle/prop/mixture knobs/cables (I'll be using an Aerosport panel which I believe will require longer cables)
  • What about manifold pressure? There are a few items in the kit related to that, and as I understand it I may need something different for the pMags?

I'm looking to order my Firewall Forward kit (vernier) from Van's. I have a standard IO540 on the way with dual pMags. What items should I delete from the kit? Here is what I have so far:
I
  • What about manifold pressure? There are a few items in the kit related to that, and as I understand it I may need something different for the pMags?
If you are planning an EFIS a MP sensor will either be included or specified by the efis manufacturer

Not a 10, but I pretty much scrapped all the Vans hoses and MP pressure kit. Hosed were either too long or too short.
Tom @ TS Flightlines made all new. He also sells a really nice MP pressure kit.
Add two or three of his restrictor pressure fittings. They are worth it.
I cut one tap off the manifold since Dynon only uses two. I also fabricated an 1/8" shim so the Kavlico sensors could be mounted sideways flush to the firewall. More clearance.

Tom @ TS Flightlines made all new. He also sells a really nice MP pressure kit.

Looking at the kit parts list (link in my first post), it looks like all of the FF hoses are from Flightlines and resold through Van's. Are you saying I should delete those and then order directly? Or in your case did the FF kit not come with Flightlines hoses?

Looking at the kit parts list (link in my first post), it looks like all of the FF hoses are from Flightlines and resold through Van's. Are you saying I should delete those and then order directly? Or in your case did the FF kit not come with Flightlines hoses?
I don't think mine were TS Flightlines hoses. They predate. No "-1" after the part number.
It wasn't a quality issue. They were just wrong lengths.
Probably my fault. I remote mounted the oil cooler and the red cube was mounted with the Flightlines mount. If you have the engine mounted, it would be easy to measure and compare to the shipping list or call Tom.

Last edited:
Back