What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advice on RV6A- looking to acquire.

Hello team, brand new to the site.
RV6 question—looking for knowledge :) hope not to spark any debates :)

In the works of acquiring RV6A hopefully next 3-4 wks. 2010 ~450 hours w/ 140 hp.

Literally my hangar neighbor has been eyeing my LSA for over a year & we talked to trade so it can keep him flying as it is becoming very difficult for him/wife to get in. My LSA is very simple.l for him. Benefits: saves pain of going through selling for both parties, keeps him flying, tax saving, teach each others transition gets me In aerobatics which I fell In love with taking Paggy Wagstaff week course.

Anyways we both really like each others plane & both not after every dollar but the 3 questions I have:

- how do I value this Rv6A. Researching online figures & specs are all over 65-150k… just trying to make sure we are in the ballpark of each other within 10-15k to be fair. Attached pics to help but removed tail# for privacy since I am not owner as of yet.

-tricycle config I love it but other that very small performance differences I read about, any other issues, like popularity vs tail or resell value etc.

-140hp for basic aerobatic any concerns..? I understand the 180 is more popular. Has fuel line for aerobatic no oil inversion. I don’t intend for inverted flights or neg gs.
Basic aerobatic. Spins, barrel roll, loops

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    958 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4841.jpeg
    IMG_4841.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4838.jpeg
    IMG_4838.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4839.jpeg
    IMG_4839.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
Tail draggers are much cooler, and their pilots are chic, suave, and debonair. Sometimes we order in French. Other than that not much difference as long as you don't hit a gopher hole with your nose wheel.

the 140hp is going to be a MUCH bigger drag on your resale value as well as performance. Ultimately I suppose it depends on your and the aircraft weight, but my feeling is it would be an under performer.

Reactions: JGT
Tail draggers are much cooler, and their pilots are chic, suave, and debonair. Sometimes we order in French. Other than that not much difference as long as you don't hit a gopher hole with your nose wheel.

the 140hp is going to be a MUCH bigger drag on your resale value as well as performance. Ultimately I suppose it depends on your and the aircraft weight, but my feeling is it would be an under performer.
Thanks! I’m 165-170. Wife is 130. What would this one be likely to sell for in your opinion (not ask price but sell).

When u mention performance like a struggle do do maneuvers or…?

Thanks for the feedback

Negatives of the 140 hp; Take-Off and climb, and resale. Hp has little to do with cruise speed and most "gentleman" aerobatics do not require a great amount of HP unless you are planning vertical maneuvers.

Not sure what you are getting at concerning tailwheel vs. tri-gear. The pictures you show is of A model and I assume that your LSA is also tri-gear.

Y
Negatives of the 140 hp; Take-Off and climb, and resale. Hp has little to do with cruise speed and most "gentleman" aerobatics do not require a great amount of HP unless you are planning vertical maneuvers.

Not sure what you are getting at concerning tailwheel vs. tri-gear. The pictures you show is of A model and I assume that your LSA is also tri-gear.
thank you. Not concerned at all, in fact I like it better bc that’s what I fly. But there seem to be more tail daggers and it started as tail dragged and reading into it shows Tri came out to appeal to tri pilots.
The concern there was in term of resale. This is a stepping stone into an extra ina few years so wanted to ensure current value and potential resale issues including if tri would be. If that makes any sense:)

Y

thank you. Not concerned at all, in fact I like it better bc that’s what I fly. But there seem to be more tail daggers and it started as tail dragged and reading into it shows Tri came out to appeal to tri pilots.
The concern there was in term of resale. This is a stepping stone into an extra ina few years so wanted to ensure current value and potential resale issues including if tri would be. If that makes any sense:)
Most times a tri gear opens up a larger resale market than tail dragger. As this is a stepping stone, your offered price should factor in a replacement 180hp engine and a matching prop. That would both provide you a more capable plane now, and more reasonable resale value later.

Carl

I would say this would be a mid-pack priced plane - with one caveat
pros:
the dual radios, dual Garmin G5, autopilot
tri-gear (I consistently see the lower priced 6's are taildraggers)

"eh":
mid-time engine. Neither here nor there, assuming good numbers, clean oil analysis.
hopefully the main wheel pants exist?

cons:
paint isn't to everyone's taste
panel is a bit cluttered and chopped up
no audio panel
no certified GPS, so no IFR ability
140 HP engine. Really? a 140? Not 150 even? That's the caveat. I'd start budgeting for doing the 160HP conversion. It's a happy plane on 160. The 180 really isn't needed especially at your elevation.

Thank you! Love the tri comments so sold on that.

140 seems to be issue.

Follow up questions. Is the 160 conversion add ons? Or swap out. And what’s the cost about

Mid pack prices are we saying 100s?
My bird is worth about 85-95k so trying to stay in same arena.

Follow up questions. Is the 160 conversion add ons? Or swap out. And what’s the cost about

I’d guess either a rebuild, or more likely a new engine to get to 160 or 180HP. Keep in mind a new prop as well. As such I’d put this RV-6A below $90K.

On the engine and prop, a 160HP with CS prop is good. If you can’t do that, 180hp and FP would be the next choice. But, 180HP with CS prop is the performance package.

Cost hinges on too many variables to give you an estimate, but I’d guess north of $30K.

Carl

I’m curious, is the current motor a 0-290 ?
The builder would have known it wouldn’t have near the resale as a 0-320/360

Two comments. You mentioned you and the other guy giving each other transition training. Have you talked with an insurance agent? Some companies are okay with this, some want a cfi sign off.
Aerobatics. RV-6’s have a recommended max weight for acro. Many -6’s have a hard time getting under that weight with pilot plus instructor (plus parachutes). With the lighter engine you may be okay, but be prepared to get any needed training elsewhere, and fly acro solo.

I’m curious, is the current motor a 0-290 ?
The builder would have known it wouldn’t have near the resale as a 0-320/360
O320 E models 140hp. I was curious too…internet search.

* - O-320-E2A, -E2C, and –E2F have alternate rating of 140 HP at 2450 RPM.

Thank you! Love the tri comments so sold on that.

140 seems to be issue.

So, if this is an o-320 140 HP, search for the Cherokee 140 HP upgrades. Many came with that engine and were upgraded.
Note - you don't need the STC paperwork.
Cost... well much depends on labor.

Since this is a mid time motor, unless something shows up in the screen or in oil analysis there should be no reason to overhaul it.
In any case once the cylinders are pulled then you'll know if you have a cam / lifter problem.

So, assuming just swapping the cylinders...

Parts - round numbers are $10,000 for 4 new cylinder assemblies (these come complete with pistons, rings, valves...)
Maybe $1000 for misc stuff.
Plus labor. Varies widely.
Plus potential re-pitch of the prop... with a metal prop some prop shops can do a re-pitch.
Catto prop - they have (at least when I needed it) offered a very reasonable price for re-pitch.

Two comments. You mentioned you and the other guy giving each other transition training. Have you talked with an insurance agent? Some companies are okay with this, some want a cfi sign off.
Aerobatics. RV-6’s have a recommended max weight for acro. Many -6’s have a hard time getting under that weight with pilot plus instructor (plus parachutes). With the lighter engine you may be okay, but be prepared to get any needed training elsewhere, and fly acro solo.
Well he is self
Insured. I will have a cfi sign me off. We will take a few flights to learn the specifics of it.

The 140 hp O-320 was mostly made for Piper Cherokee 140’s. The engine was derated from 150 hp to 140 HP rating by reducing the maximum RPM From 2700 to 2450. The Sensenich prop you have may be limited to 2500 RPM which would stop you from repitching it to use the 2700 RPM. I had a RV6 with O-320 160 hp, but was limited to 2500 RPM due to the prop. You are probably getting the same power as I was. Takeoff performance is reduced, but once up to about 100 in the climb, it would climb well and cruised as fast as my 180 hp RV-6A. Hope that helps.

The 140 hp O-320 was mostly made for Piper Cherokee 140’s. The engine was derated from 150 hp to 140 HP rating by reducing the maximum RPM From 2700 to 2450. The Sensenich prop you have may be limited to 2500 RPM which would stop you from repitching it to use the 2700 RPM. I had a RV6 with O-320 160 hp, but was limited to 2500 RPM due to the prop. You are probably getting the same power as I was. Takeoff performance is reduced, but once up to about 100 in the climb, it would climb well and cruised as fast as my 180 hp RV-6A. Hope that helps.
It’s marked on there 2600 rpm max. I’m getting more info about r give sounds like I need to :) th

It’s marked on there 2600 rpm max. I’m getting more info about r give sounds like I need to :) th
Please use complete sentences when you post on the forum. Many of us aren't conversant with Instagram shorthand and text slang, we still use old fashioned grammar. Going old school will prompt more useful answers for your questions. :)

What is the asking price? I understand you're talking trade, but dollar values.
With that info, most will be able to tell you whether it's worth it, especially with the 140hp.
Since this plane will be a temporary option for you, with a low entry price, it could be a great time builder in type & you get all your money back on resale. Or upgrade to 160/180 hp as time warrants. I'd rather have an underpowered RV than a Cherokee, if the price is the same.

Please use complete sentences when you post on the forum. Many of us aren't conversant with Instagram shorthand and text slang, we still use old fashioned grammar. Going old school will prompt more useful answers for your questions. :)
Haha my apologies, I woke up and texted and did not proof read apparently :)

Anybody here flown a 140HP 6/6A ?

My guess is they are still a very good performing airplane.
Might not throw you back in your seat or climb like a home sick angel but still probably pretty reasonable performance numbers.
Still affects value but I’m curious what someone who actually has flown a lower HP RV has to say.

Team Update Update!
It is in fact 160hp. I asked for the detailed info on engine. My apologies. Oh my goodness way to start a first post.

In my lame defense apparently in our 2 hour conversation he kept stating 140 on the engine (which I already knew that was cruise based on the previous conversation) so I went to assuming it was hp I guess.

So this changes the valuation and makes me feel a little better… as long as it’s 85-100 value I’m good and will be joining Rv life :)

What is the asking price? I understand you're talking trade, but dollar values.
With that info, most will be able to tell you whether it's worth it, especially with the 140hp.
Since this plane will be a temporary option for you, with a low entry price, it could be a great time builder in type & you get all your money back on resale. Or upgrade to 160/180 hp as time warrants. I'd rather have an underpowered RV than a Cherokee, if the price is the same.
Well mine is worth 85-100. So it would have to amount to that.

Made correction below. It is 160 hp….

With the information provided, if you are just trying to do an even swap of airplanes between friends, I would say that neither of you should feel that you have lost or gained too much from the deal. All else being good you should go for it!

Anybody here flown a 140HP 6/6A ?

My guess is they are still a very good performing airplane.
Might not throw you back in your seat or climb like a home sick angel but still probably pretty reasonable performance numbers.
Still affects value but I’m curious what someone who actually has flown a lower HP RV has to say.
Not 140hp, but I flew my -6 for 3 years with 150hp with over 2500 hrs. on the clock and wood prop, and it performed beautifully.

I notice on the panel image the G5 is not displaying density altitude or OAT on the ground, so you would probably want to factor in adding the GAD13 unit and associated temperature probe.
This would liven up the Density Altitude display when on the ground, the Outside Air Temperature, the TAS display shown when in flight and also on the second G5 it would display wind vector (headwind/crosswind).
I added that to my pair of G5’s and find it a pretty useful upgrade.

I notice on the panel image the G5 is not displaying density altitude or OAT on the ground, so you would probably want to factor in adding the GAD13 unit and associated temperature probe.
This would liven up the Density Altitude display when on the ground, the Outside Air Temperature, the TAS display shown when in flight and also on the second G5 it would display wind vector (headwind/crosswind).
I added that to my pair of G5’s and find it a pretty useful upgrade.
Thanks!

Shows only $50 on spruce sounds like it’s well
Worth it

Thanks!

Shows only $50 on spruce sounds like it’s well
Worth it
I think thats only the connector kit. I fitted a GAD 13, GTP59 (the probe) and wired it into the Canbus, as per Garmin instructions. It was in region of £500 GBP but likely lower cost in US :). Either way - its a good thing to do if your keeping the G5’s. Mine are also wired into the Garmin Aera.

I think thats only the connector kit. I fitted a GAD 13, GTP59 (the probe) and wired it into the Canbus, as per Garmin instructions. It was in region of £500 GBP but likely lower cost in US :). Either way - its a good thing to do if your keeping the G5’s. Mine are also wired into the Garmin Aera.
If you are happy with a swap and your friend is happy with the swap then it will be an excellent deal. I once did an even swap my 1946 champ for his 1962 Cessna 172. He was happy and I was happy, perfect deal for both of us.

After all this clarification, I would say you’re spot on for an even trade. A light 160 hp RV6A should capture 3 miles a minute , your altitude will decide your FF !

Back