What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Sweptback ACK-04 Antenna in empennage fairing

Airzen

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone tried mounting the ACK-04 ELT antenna (which is 20 degrees sweptback), in the empennage fairings.

I have seen photos of straight ELT antennas being mounted there but not the sweptback ones.

I'd greatful if folks can share ideas/suggestions on how to mount that (photographs will be very helpful).

thanks,
Ashish

Think twice about putting that antenna that close to the VS.

I have seen one -8 where the ELT antenna was mounted in front of that fairing and at speed it hits the VS, as evidenced by the scratches in the paint on the VS.

Besides, you have to remove that fairing every year for the condition inspection, which means you will be playing with that connection. It is probably best to put it someplace else so you don't have to deal with it once it is installed.

Hi Robert,

Great post. However, you might want to reconsider this placement. By putting the middle so close to a ground plane (< 1/8"?) you'll be dramatically changing the wavelength for the antenna and likely cut reception range by a huge amount.

Here's a good wikipedia article on the topic.

edit: I removed the photo - dear RVRC, no offense intended - just trying to help.

Last edited:
I believe the original post was if someone had a photo of that install. I did. The discussion was not if it was a good idea. I have had that debate for six weeks or so before I mounted mine. Been through all the ground plane stuff, getting broken off hitting trees if it were mounted on the bottom, broken off in flip over, etc.

Thanks.

And if some moderator will remove the photo but leave the link, we can read the rest of ese post

Thanks!

Thanks Robert for the link. This was exactly I was looking for .... And like you I have too debated the location. But on an RV-8 most of the locations are a compromise..

Ashish

RVRC (or others considering this location),

One idea you might want to consider: run the antenna through a plastic tube glued to the inside of the fairing. This would get the antenna away from the forward spar to the maximum possible amount. (I did something similar on my plane, but alas - no photo - just a strip of fiberglass over a tube...

Just a little more distance than you have will be a lot better.

Last edited:
Good idea..

Thats a good idea Kevin. Thanks for sharing your concern and providing some solution to it ... I'll work on the elt antenna this week and share.

You could consider an alternate location....ELT and antenna in the wingtip. Both mount on the same aluminum plate for crashworthiness, and there is no need to run the antenna cable through structure. You have the same radiation pattern right side up or upside down, and no ground plane or blanking issues.

106hstc.jpg

creative

Thats creative Dan! Can you show us how you mounted the antenna (its obscured by the ELT in the photo you shared).

Back