What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monkworkz MZ-30L and Vertical Power VP-X

nharris

I'm New Here
Has anyone wired up a Monkworkz generator with a vertical power unit?
This is what I'm thinking from reading the manuals but really not sure.

- Connect the Generator to the regulator as specified in the manual.
- Run Output Power (10 AWG wire) to the switched side of the battery contactor with a 40amp fuse between.
- Regulator output ground (10 AWG wire) to aircraft ground
- "Enable" pin 1 from Molex connector on regulator to Alt pin J12/11 on VPX
- "Ground" pin 6 from Molex connector on regulator to aircraft ground
- program a switch to activate Pin j12/11 on VPX - to enable the Gen

And hopefully, that works.
Any insight would be appreciated.

I have both VP-X and MZ30L.
The MZ30L is not managed by VP-X at all. Just wired both pin 1 and 6 to a “ALT 2” switch (AML24) on the panel.
Please take care that MZ30L don’t need field power.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the VP-X can manage the MZ30L as mentioned above because it is self exciting and no field?
This is making me wonder if we need to make a circuit to trigger the secondary alternator indication on the VP-X synoptic page otherwise it will always show its status as off?

Watching this thread with interest…

Just finished the install of the Monkworks in my RV-9A that has a VP-x. I wired the output to the same terminal as the wire from the main alternator output. I cut the jumper on the backup gen to for backup function. I wired an enable toggle on the panel (pin 1 and 6) to enable the generator. I also wired pin 2 of the gen to my Dynon EMS to get a screen indication of when the backup gen is "Off or On". Tested today in ground run up after just finishing my 1st condition inspection and backup gen install. The VP-x page on my Dynon showed correct current flow with various combinations of Monkworks enabled and main alternator disabled, etc…. Super pleased with the config to say the least!

Has anyone wired up a Monkworkz generator with a vertical power unit?
This is what I'm thinking from reading the manuals but really not sure.

- Connect the Generator to the regulator as specified in the manual.
- Run Output Power (10 AWG wire) to the switched side of the battery contactor with a 40amp fuse between.
- Regulator output ground (10 AWG wire) to aircraft ground
- "Enable" pin 1 from Molex connector on regulator to Alt pin J12/11 on VPX
- "Ground" pin 6 from Molex connector on regulator to aircraft ground
- program a switch to activate Pin j12/11 on VPX - to enable the Gen

And hopefully, that works.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Hi,

The regulator needs output side pin 1 grounded to enable, so if VP can do this reliably then that will work but I really don't understand why anyone would want to put something else on the critical path for their electrical power.

Bill

Back